• The KillerFrogs

TCU Band at Rose Bowl

stell91

The parade was actually 5.8 miles, a great experience but killer!

And mistletoad: Wisconsin is one of the few bands left (the others are almost all Big 10 as well) that do that style of marching. It doesn't sound good when you march because the impact of your feet mess up your sound. And it's stupid to complain about them being louder because they're nearly twice our size.

Turk: we were on planes back to Ft Worth 4 hours after the end of the game and when we landed we had all been awake 24 straight hours - and the adrenaline was still pumping! Definitely the greatest experience of my life.

And we didn't pick Boot Scootin' Boogie. That was chosen by whoever runs the Showgirls. They're the ones dancing to it, so they get to pick the music. In all fairness, we had Curt Wilson rearrange the whole piece and that rearranged piece is what you heard. No one liked the song, but our hands were tied.

fanatical frog

The band marching in to the New Years Eve Party was the highlight of the event....easily. Very uplifting and got everyone fired up and wishing the game could just start right now. I remember thinking at the time "those poor guys and gals have to be up at 3 am for the parade" and was amazed. Adreneline must have been gushing.

Also, we were right against the fence with grandsons I and II at the pep rally and your enthusiasm was contagious ....best pep rally we've been to in maybe forever.

All around great job.....hat's off to the band.

KRaessler

Mistletoad is a toad. Band sounded great and the National Anthem made me cry. Werefrog, was that a Curt Wilson arrangement?

PD-Proud former band member 83-87

The Star Spangled Banner was not a Curt Wilson arrangement, although it sounded as though it could have been.

asleep003

Everyone should feel free to copy and paste the above into a Word doc and save it for later, in case you want to reread proof of someone being a complete idiot.

The definition of an "Idiot" - is one who is in total 'denial' of the evidence in front of them. Obviously you did not or were not willing to watch the caliber of the 'snappy' Badger Band ... now they were really awsome. Our Kids are quite capable of doing the same. Respect the hard work the kids put in, but our coreography really needs 'major' help... big time!
GO FROGS!

asleep003

And what credentials do you possess to make such profound observations? If you love the Big Ten style of marching, perhaps you should go to Big Ten games, and forget about TCU. The TCU Band is quite up to date in what they do...corps style marching...and they do it well. There is no reason for them to imitate the style of another college band just to please you. Many of us feel differently, and totally support the direction the TCU band has taken in recent years. Go TCU Band!!!!!

The same credentials Howard Kosel to call boxing or Brent Musberger to call football games! Sorry I prefer a band with upbeat tempos and energy and for the last 5 decades, watching many opposition bands, I find our 'marching' band some what slow/lethargic in comparison(not the kids, but the overall choreography/performance). Do appreciate the parents of band members and band alums standing up for their heritage and Kids. It's not the Kids that are percieved lacking here. Go Frogs!!

stell91

The same credentials Howard Kosel to call boxing or Brent Musberger to call football games! Sorry I prefer a band with upbeat tempos and energy and for the last 5 decades, watching many opposition bands, I find our 'marching' some what slow/lethargic in comparison(not the kids, but the overall choreography/performance). Do appreciate the parents of band members and band alums standing up for their heritage and Kids. It's not the Kids that are percieved lacking here.

Then you should email associate director Brian Youngblood at b.youngblood@tcu.edu. He writes the show drill and is in charge of the music and the overall marching band. In all seriousness I'm sure he would appreciate your comments!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The same credentials Howard Kosel to call boxing or Brent Musberger to call football games! Sorry I prefer a band with upbeat tempos and energy and for the last 5 decades, watching many opposition bands, I find our 'marching' band some what slow/lethargic in comparison(not the kids, but the overall choreography/performance). Do appreciate the parents of band members and band alums standing up for their heritage and Kids. It's not the Kids that are percieved lacking here. Go Frogs!!

At the risk of feeding a likely troll, let me help you understand just how little you know, Mistletoad...

Firstly, Wisconsin sounded louder because 1.) They were marching about 100 more players, 2.) They march only brass (as in trumpets, trombones, tubas, euphoniums) and just a few flutes, 3.) They tend to stay in fairly tight formations, concentrating the sound. Secondly, they spent a lot of their marching time in one place, as opposed to moving about. Lastly, they pick and arrange music that accentuates these aspects, thus maximizing their "presence" on the field. In Band parlance, they are more of a "Corps" style band.

TCU Band, OTOH, is a smaller. concert oriented band with full instrumentation (Most of the woodwind instruments are represented). A greater range of music is within reach for the TCU Band due to this, including many of the "Swing" style numbers. The sheer volume of the TCU Band suffers in comparison to the likes of Wisconsin simply due to a difference in number of personell, instrumentation and at times large, spread out formations. This does not take away from their overall musicality or skill, as evidenced by the National Anthem heard before the Rose Bowl.

I might also add that my old High School marched more than the TCU Band. They were probably louder, too. But TCU had then and now far better indivuidual musicians.

Remember, TCU has only a tiny enrollment compared to Wisconsin. Even Dan Jenkins quipped that there were "more kids in the Wisconsin Band than there are TCU Alumni." Most of the TCU Band is made up of kids studying to be musicians, Band Directors or Music Educators of some variety. I don't think there are too many kids just joining up on a lark.

Now, the root of 'idiot' is Greek and refers to one who does not vote. Howard Cosell was a terrible sportscaster but he was not as bad as Brent Musberger.

Gaudat!

AEAfrog

Most of the TCU Band is made up of kids studying to be musicians, Band Directors or Music Educators of some variety. I don't think there are too many kids just joining up on a lark.

It's about half music ed, half non. A lot of them do it just for the fun of it. That's why I did it. Probably spent more time in rehearsals than I did in actual classes too.

staypurple12

I have no ties to the band whatsoever but hear a band practice everyday during the season and hear bands every Friday nite in the Fall. The Frog band is not just in the stadium because the members love being in band. It is apparent they view themselves as an integral part of the program's success. I watched the kids march down the sideline shortly before kick off and you could tell how much the game meant to them. They were as enthusiastic about the play on the field as anyone else. All of these young men and women are paying top $$$ to attend a private institution. I am willing to bet the scholarship money is hard to come by for band students. With that said, for someone to be critical of an award winning band in lieu of a gigantic state school band demonstrates poor perspective and limited scope of reason...and this came from a Frog graduate. As a "dumb" football coach....all I can say is "come on man!"

If the band sounded like garbage and showed no interest in the game then criticism may be justified. These kids poor their heart into what they are doing...they are not on full ride...they put in time that you can't imagine. I know for a fact most HS bands put in as much if not more time in practice than the football team. They practice on asphalt for hours in Texas heat...

Sorry to go long but people should think and do research before they post critical comments...especially about your own "team"

asleep003

I have no ties to the band whatsoever but hear a band practice everyday during the season and hear bands every Friday nite in the Fall. The Frog band is not just in the stadium because the members love being in band. It is apparent they view themselves as an integral part of the program's success. I watched the kids march down the sideline shortly before kick off and you could tell how much the game meant to them. They were as enthusiastic about the play on the field as anyone else. All of these young men and women are paying top $$$ to attend a private institution. I am willing to bet the scholarship money is hard to come by for band students. With that said, for someone to be critical of an award winning band in lieu of a gigantic state school band demonstrates poor perspective and limited scope of reason...and this came from a Frog graduate. As a "dumb" football coach....all I can say is "come on man!"

If the band sounded like garbage and showed no interest in the game then criticism may be justified. These kids poor their heart into what they are doing...they are not on full ride...they put in time that you can't imagine. I know for a fact most HS bands put in as much if not more time in practice than the football team. They practice on asphalt for hours in Texas heat...

Sorry to go long but people should think and do research before they post critical comments...especially about your own "team"

Certainly it's about the Kids... and especially their huge expense and dedication deserves an improved approach/program!

BKSledge

Certainly it's about the Kids... and especially their huge expense and dedication deserves an improved approach/program!

I'm sorry, but the wisconsin band made me throw up in my mouth. They don't deserve to call themselves musicians.

They are the band equivalent of a football team refusing to use the forward pass because it's not traditonal.

KRaessler

The definition of an "Idiot" - is one who is in total 'denial' of the evidence in front of them. Obviously you did not or were not willing to watch the caliber of the 'snappy' Badger Band ... now they were really awsome. Our Kids are quite capable of doing the same. Respect the hard work the kids put in, but our coreography really needs 'major' help... big time!
GO FROGS!

It is spelled "choreography" not "coreography."