• The KillerFrogs

TCU at Baylor

sous vide

QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ Apr 29 2010, 01:33 AM) [snapback]552242[/snapback]
I'm guilty of having really high expectations for this team. TCU lost a game it should have won to Rice. Lost at Air Force, shouldn't happen no matter the circumstances. And twice Holle has gone out and laid eggs in starts at DBU and Baylor, credit to him though with a nice outing at UTA. TCU still will probably host a regional but the problem is the Frogs will probably get paired again with Texas in a possible Super Regional match-up.

Not to mentioned TCU just got run-ruled by Baylor which hurts a lot because there is so much love for Baylor.

Any way you slice it, having a "mercy rule" game against Baylor is not fun, no matter how well the rest of the season is going. As they* say, "Baseball can be a cruel game." This was really cruel (and I stayed up past midnight listening to it in my far eastern time zone. :sad: )

---
*Question: Is it "they", or did someone specific say this?

TCU2002

QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ Apr 29 2010, 01:03 AM) [snapback]552242[/snapback]
I'm guilty of having really high expectations for this team. TCU lost a game it should have won to Rice. Lost at Air Force, shouldn't happen no matter the circumstances. And twice Holle has gone out and laid eggs in starts at DBU and Baylor, credit to him though with a nice outing at UTA. TCU still will probably host a regional but the problem is the Frogs will probably get paired again with Texas in a possible Super Regional match-up.

Not to mentioned TCU just got run-ruled by Baylor which hurts a lot because there is so much love for Baylor.

It's just like the sniveling that goes on here during football.

If you are not going to enjoy 31-9, Top 15 rankings, and legitimate contention for Omaha, why they heck to you invest in the money and emotion to follow the team? For that one year (which may never come) when TCU is the undiputed #1, loses 5 or less games, and wins the national championship? Anything less leads to whining? Really?

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(TCU2002 @ Apr 29 2010, 06:21 AM) [snapback]552248[/snapback]
It's just like the sniveling that goes on here during football.

If you are not going to enjoy 31-9, Top 15 rankings, and legitimate contention for Omaha, why they heck to you invest in the money and emotion to follow the team? For that one year (which may never come) when TCU is the undiputed #1, loses 5 or less games, and wins the national championship? Anything less leads to whining? Really?

I suggest you stop being such a [ swishy ]. Nobody on here is "sniveling"...more like pissed off that our 31-9, Top 15 baseball team gets friggin' donkey punched by a mediocre, middle of the road Baylor squad.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...everyone around here is so pumped and proud of our INFLATED record and rating. Of course we beat up on the lesser MWC brethren...they're not that good. But when it comes to any decent opponent (save Cal State Fullerton) we can't seem to buy a win.

7-3 against the Big 12? Big friggin' deal...we beat up on a miserable aggy team, barely squeaked by Mizzou, had a nice series sweep of tetch, and squeaked by Baylor on Tuesday night.

Everyone touts our weekend / conference opponent pitching staff...let's hope they can dominate the tournament like they do the kid pitch teams they face on the weekends.

NORMLFROG

You ladies need to just stop it right now! Look, we got our face kicked in last night. We'll live and we'll bounce back. Now kiss and make up.

NF

Houston Frog

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 08:49 AM) [snapback]552283[/snapback]
I suggest you stop being such a [ swishy ]. Nobody on here is "sniveling"...more like pissed off that our 31-9, Top 15 baseball team gets friggin' donkey punched by a mediocre, middle of the road Baylor squad.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...everyone around here is so pumped and proud of our INFLATED record and rating. Of course we beat up on the lesser MWC brethren...they're not that good. But when it comes to any decent opponent (save Cal State Fullerton) we can't seem to buy a win.

7-3 against the Big 12? Big friggin' deal...we beat up on a miserable aggy team, barely squeaked by Mizzou, had a nice series sweep of tetch, and squeaked by Baylor on Tuesday night.

Everyone touts our weekend / conference opponent pitching staff...let's hope they can dominate the tournament like they do the kid pitch teams they face on the weekends.

For what it's worth, our RPI is #16 in the nation and our ISR is #7 in the nation. Those computer rankings (which take strength of schedule into account), as well as all of the human polls, have us as one of the top 10-15 or so teams in the country right now.

I think you're discounting our schedule a little much. Our strength of schedule is right around 35th-40th in the nation last I saw, it's not like we're playing all patsies.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 09:21 AM) [snapback]552305[/snapback]
For what it's worth, our RPI is #16 in the nation and our ISR is #7 in the nation. Those computer rankings (which take strength of schedule into account), as well as all of the human polls, have us as one of the top 10-15 or so teams in the country right now.

I think you're discounting our schedule a little much. Our strength of schedule is right around 35th-40th in the nation last I saw, it's not like we're playing all patsies.

You're missing my point...we beat up on the patsies and everyone thinks we're a shoe-in for Omaha. I've just been disappointed with our mid-week performances against "big boy" programs.

TCU2002

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 09:49 AM) [snapback]552283[/snapback]
I suggest you stop being such a [ swishy ].

Wow, do you feel like a tough guy now?

Grow up.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(TCU2002 @ Apr 29 2010, 09:32 AM) [snapback]552311[/snapback]
Wow, do you feel like a tough guy now?

Grow up.

Quit acting like a little baby on this board everytime somebody calls you out. Deal with it.

*It's a quote from "Old School"...quit being so damn sensitive.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 09:25 AM) [snapback]552308[/snapback]
You're missing my point...we beat up on the patsies and everyone thinks we're a shoe-in for Omaha. I've just been disappointed with our mid-week performances against "big boy" programs.

I understand, and I've been a little disappointed with our performance as well. I wish our midweek starters would be a little stronger/more consistent. But the fact of the matter is, those are our midweek starters, those aren't the guys who are going to be starting in the post-season. Baseball teams are completely different teams day in and day out, based on who's on the bump.

In the end though, all of the following is true....

- Last year we were 1-6 vs the Big XII, this year we are 7-3 against the Big XII
- Despite the fact that we have faced a tougher overall schedule this year, and the pitchers we have faced this year are tougher overall than the pitchers we faced last year, our record is still better than it was last year
- Last year we came within one game of going to Omaha
- Last year our weekend roatation was Winkler, Gerrish and Lockwood, this year our weekend rotation is a better version of Winkler, Purke, and a healthy Maxwell... which is undeniably stronger than last year.

So we can focus on the negatives, or look at the big picture and realize how strong this team is and how well suited it is for post-season play. I'm by no means guaranteeing a trip to Omaha, but this team is in a good spot right now.

sous vide

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 10:19 AM) [snapback]552283[/snapback]

data:

contingency table (actual)

A B

7 24
3 6

10 30

contingency table (expected) --NOTE: the closeness of fit.

A B

7.75 23.2
2.25 6.75

chi-square = 0.430
degrees of freedom = 1
probability = 0.512

...'nuf said??? Or need I explain further?

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 08:25 AM) [snapback]552308[/snapback]
<br />You're missing my point...we beat up on the patsies and everyone thinks we're a shoe-in for Omaha. I've just been disappointed with our mid-week performances against &quot;big boy&quot; programs.<br />

Big boy programs? You mean like utard that lost to oral roberts, houston, 2 of 3 to NM, etc. That kind of big boy? Midweek losses happen for a reason. I would put our weekend team against anyone. Go get your shinebox!

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(froglicious @ Apr 29 2010, 10:01 AM) [snapback]552342[/snapback]
Big boy programs? You mean like utard that lost to oral roberts, houston, 2 of 3 to NM, etc. That kind of big boy? Midweek losses happen for a reason. I would put our weekend team against anyone. Go get your shinebox!

Yea...the same big boy that has won 16 straight and is #2 in the nation right now. I hope you're right about our "weekend" team.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Apr 29 2010, 09:48 AM) [snapback]552328[/snapback]
data:

contingency table (actual)

A B

7 24
3 6

10 30

contingency table (expected) --NOTE: the closeness of fit.

A B

7.75 23.2
2.25 6.75

chi-square = 0.430
degrees of freedom = 1
probability = 0.512

...'nuf said??? Or need I explain further?

Seems pretty clear to me

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 09:25 AM) [snapback]552308[/snapback]

Not unlike last year, when we were just a couple of timely hits from going to Omaha, and our top three starters are right now pitching better than what we threw last year in the post-season IMHO.

We didn't even win the conference tourney last year.

Let's see what's what later.

Houston Frog

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 10:03 AM) [snapback]552344[/snapback]
Yea...the same big boy that has won 16 straight and is #2 in the nation right now. I hope you're right about our "weekend" team.

UT's for real, I don't think we're as good as UT. I just hope we don't have to go through Austin again to get to Omaha.

Then again, I wouldn't totally discount our chances against them, we have three VERY good weekend starters who can keep us in the game against anyone. And anything can happen in a 3 game series.

maxmtex

OK, we lost to Baylor. Game got out of hand, lots of guys got to bat as a result (several solid hits and lineouts for our backups). The split was critical, though a sweep would have kept our Super Regional pulse going. We'll get going Friday in Utah (who are pretty decent, despite all comments here in KF).

Quick quiz question: Which single Division I baseball team has won all of its weekend series in 2010?

If that team continues to do that, it will be in Omaha.

Spike

I totally missed last nights game, but I'm concerned that the majority of our bullpen seemed to struggle. It's still only one game, but this conference affiliation has us more upset over a loss in what should be a tuneup game than a conference game. Noone really gets very emotional (except Saturday) about beating UNLV.

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(frog13 @ Apr 29 2010, 10:16 AM) [snapback]552352[/snapback]
Quick quiz question: Which single Division I baseball team has won all of its weekend series in 2010?

That's a great stat and all but we don't exactly play in a tough conference.

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 29 2010, 09:03 AM) [snapback]552344[/snapback]
<br />Yea...the same big boy that has won 16 straight and is #2 in the nation right now. I hope you're right about our &quot;weekend&quot; team.<br />

GDU is that you? Hey, walmart is having a UTurd gear sell. You should get over there before they run out!

South Texas Frog

QUOTE(froglicious @ Apr 29 2010, 10:26 AM) [snapback]552361[/snapback]
GDU is that you? Hey, walmart is having a UTurd gear sell. You should get over there before they run out!

:wacko: