• The KillerFrogs

TAMU officially notifies Big XII its leaving

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
http://www.tamu.edu/...enceChange.html

TEXAS A&M TO SEEK AFFILIATION WITH ANOTHER ATHLETIC CONFERENCE
NEWS RELEASE - August 31, 2011

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – Texas A&M University today officially notified the Big 12 Conference that the institution will submit an application to join another athletic conference. Should this application be accepted, Texas A&M will end its membership in the Big 12 Conference effective June 30, 2012

athleticsFacts.jpg
"After much thought and consideration, and pursuant to the action of the (Texas A&M University System) Board of Regents authorizing me to take action related to Texas A&M University's athletic conference alignment, I have determined it is in the best interest of Texas A&M to make application to join another athletic conference," President R. Bowen Loftin wrote to Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe in the letter dated August 31, 2011.

Houston Frog

From a moderator on the Aggie's Rival site, take it FWIW....

(UPDATED AT 9:15 a.m.) Since I posted this, we have heard from both A&M and SEC sources that this deal, including exit fees, is now done. The official word will come next week, with the alleged reasoning being it is a bye week for A&M and it will be less of a distraction to the players. You will likely hear today (from a certain reporter on another site on this network) that the SEC is trying to slow things down looking for team 14. Do not buy this for a second. The SEC is ready to move forward with 13. (end update)

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Its funny that they say that a statement that we are leaving contingent upon acceptance is less distracting than saying we are going to the SEC....

To me they just made it worse for the players and fans.

Frog-in-law1995

Lawyers: Does that letter constitute legal notice to leave by the Aug 31 deadline? To my mind it does not, however I don't know the relevant contract law here.
In and of itself, probably not. Haven't read the Big 12 agreement, though. But Beebe already said they wouldn't sue, so the "rules" may be relaxed a bit. And they still have the rest of today to officially leave.

froginaustin

Lawyers: Does that letter constitute legal notice to leave by the Aug 31 deadline? To my mind it does not, however I don't know the relevant contract law here.

Without looking at the B12 bylaws, etc., I'm sure I couldn't answer that question. Assuming that the bottom line from reading the bylaws is a member must give notice of an intention to leave, you may have a trial-lawyer enriching disagreement down the line.

If the bylaws require an unambiguous statement that a departing member will not participate in league play, it's possible that a panel of judges will ultimately tell us what an announced "intention to leave" means, assuming Aggie actually leaves per their stated "intention".

If the SEC invites Aggie right away, whether or not stating that they "intend" to leave is sufficient notice will likely be moot. If the B12-3 finds a new "partner" :rolleyes: right away, the question may be moot. If it makes no difference in the price Aggie has to pay to withdraw, the question is pretty near certainly moot.

I am kind of bit surprised that A&M is actually going through with this and will actually leave the Big 12. All of the A&M fans I know that I have talked to about the situation want to stay in the Big 12. They want to keep the BIg 12 rivalries and are scared that they may not compete well in the SEC.

sous vide

Without looking at the B12 bylaws, etc., I'm sure I couldn't answer that question. Assuming that the bottom line from reading the bylaws is a member must give notice of an intention to leave, you may have a trial-lawyer enriching disagreement down the line.

If the bylaws require an unambiguous statement that a departing member will not participate in league play, it's possible that a panel of judges will ultimately tell us what an announced "intention to leave" means, assuming Aggie actually leaves per their stated "intention".

If the SEC invites Aggie right away, whether or not stating that they "intend" to leave is sufficient notice will likely be moot. If the B12-3 finds a new "partner" :rolleyes: right away, the question may be moot. If it makes no difference in the price Aggie has to pay to withdraw, the question is pretty near certainly moot.

Interesting.

Aggie reminds me of a GF I had in college. She acted about like that "notice" half the time and most lovingly the other half of the time. Thank God I moved to TCU and got rid of her.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Any updates on exits fees? Range I've seen so far discussed is between 15 to 28 mill and O know ags don't have much cash in their budget for this.

PhillyFrog

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=140429

My game score prediction is TCU 34-20, and Rick Perry wins the nomination, and the Dow at 12,400 at year-end.

Riff Ram

We all need to realize that UT is going indepedent by '14 or so. This has been the plan for some time, and what they have moving toward with their non-conf scheduling. The BEVOTV deal just needs a few more years to get rolling before they make the move.

I'm pretty certain they are facilitating atm's exit behind the scenes, in order to get cover for their move to independence.

They won't committ to a long conference relationship now, which should keep any established teams from joining the left-behind bevo dead-enders.

When the break-up comnes, UT will be able to get cover: blame NU and atm and say they had no choice but to leave their conference leftovers behind.

Houston Frog

I am kind of bit surprised that A&M is actually going through with this and will actually leave the Big 12. All of the A&M fans I know that I have talked to about the situation want to stay in the Big 12. They want to keep the BIg 12 rivalries and are scared that they may not compete well in the SEC.

That's odd... every single Aggie I've talked to is pumped about the move

Latest posts