• The KillerFrogs

Streaming is dead

dawg

According to fbschedules.com, we only had two football games last year on FSN, APB and KSU. I don't think FS1/FS2 are affected. But @Eight is correct in that this happens with satellite and cable companies, too. What likely happened is that Sinclair saw the streaming love and got big-eyed after seeing how many people were cutting the cord. Who knows, it may free up money for them to add the NFL Network.

YTTV currently airs ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNEWS, ACC Network, Big Ten Network, SEC Network, FS1, FS2, CBS Sports, NBC Sports Network, NBA TV, MLB Network, Golf Channel, Tennis Channel, Olympic Channel, and the channels that typically broadcast the NCAA tourney like TBS, TNT, AMC, etc. So for me, I'm still good with YTTV.

This. YTTV has the best mix of channels for price ($50/mo with unlimited DVR, while iirc Hulu is $54 and charges $9mo for 20MB). I think Sinclair is overplaying their hand; most streamers aren’t sports fans and the annual rate hikes from content providers led them to cut the cord in the first place. So they only have two services streaming their FSNs? I’m betting they get a deal done before baseball season.

asleep003

This is sort of where I’m at with regard to convenience, choices, too lazy to switch, etc. just doesn’t feel like the savings is so great once I’ve unbundled and then purchased 5 separate streaming services to get exactly what I want.

There are so many people that are clueless on this topic ... you should not share on this subject and observe/listen or ask questions only.

Last edited:

Jet Set Frog

Question for the masses: What's the minimum internet speed you'd recommend to be able to stream youtube TV without issue? I live in an area with limited options, so the max I can get is 25MPS from AT&T.

Question for the masses: What's the minimum internet speed you'd recommend to be able to stream youtube TV without issue? I live in an area with limited options, so the max I can get is 25MPS from AT&T.

That's more than enough. The speeds recommended are greatly exaggerated. Now, if you have three teenagers it may present a problem but our family of three have never had any speed issues. At any given time there are 2 TVs, a tablet and a phone going. Last Thanksgiving I had 4 TVs going at once with no issue.

Eight

I looked at it but no ESPN is a dealbreaker. So have YouTube TV.

i saw that though in a few weeks college basketball is done and i don't really watch them much late spring and through the summer.

if i am not watching a game on espn i don't watch them other than at the gym where they might be on the tv's.

biggest hassle in switching providers for a short period is hearing my wife complain about things on dvr's being lost.

Double D

Tier 1
Email just received:
Hi there,
We recently announced that FOX Regional Sports Networks would no longer be available on YouTube TV. We have since come to an agreement with Sinclair that will allow us to continue to carry FOX Regional Sports Networks in select areas.
Your access will not be impacted as previously communicated. You will be able to continue to watch live, on demand, or recorded content from your local FOX Regional Sports Network.
Thanks for your patience,
The YouTube TV team

Purp

Just started the 2 week trial of YTTV last night. We're definitely cutting the cord and likely going with YTTV.

For whoever it was previously who asked about the Nick Jr. problem, I found the solution I alluded to earlier in this thread. For $5.99 a month (I think) you can subscribe to Noggin and that gets you all of the Nick Jr. shows your kids watch. You have to add the Noggin app to your Roku or FireStick, but my 3 year old has already figured it out and taught his 6 year old brother.

Similarly, for those who have the same Hallmark Channel requirement problem I do you can subscribe to Frndly for $7.99 a month (I think) and it gives you all of the Hallmark channels (I was disappointed to find out there was more than one) and a few others you probably couldn't care less about.

It's crazy to think that we'll pay an extra $15 a month for programming on 2 channels that I didn't even know existed before I got married. We'll still be paying about half of my previous Uverse bill for everything we care to watch and that includes the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle for another $13 or so.

Atomic Frawg

It takes about 5mps to stream at 1080p, and about 15mps to stream 4k. So if you stream reliably at 25mps you can stream 4-5 1080p movies simultaneously. Or you can stream a 4k and two 1080p movies simultaneously.

Stupid question how do you watch local channels on YouTube TV?

It picks up on where you login with your computer or phone (which you will have to do at least once during setup) and then it streams the local networks from that area - namely Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS, and MAYBE one or two others. So if you're on a roadtrip and break out your phone or whatever to watch TV, it'll prompt you and notifybyou that the local stations have changed.

If you want to get the hidden digital channels, and there are a buttload of those, then you still need a digital antenna ($10) because it won't catch those.

Speaking of the free digital channels, I've loved watching old episodes of the Six Million Dollar Man/Woman, Charlie's Angels, and other shows from time to time. So $10 can get you a bunch of free TV.

Last edited: