• The KillerFrogs

Streaming is dead

Purp

I haven't cut the cable yet so I don't have youtube TV yet. All I have seen is locast and the picture quality is kind of poor on there.
I flipped through the YTTV options last night and all the locals had the same quality as everything else. They were also conveniently right at the top of the guide like you're used to with your current service provider.

FrogCop19

Just started the 2 week trial of YTTV last night. We're definitely cutting the cord and likely going with YTTV.

For whoever it was previously who asked about the Nick Jr. problem, I found the solution I alluded to earlier in this thread. For $5.99 a month (I think) you can subscribe to Noggin and that gets you all of the Nick Jr. shows your kids watch. You have to add the Noggin app to your Roku or FireStick, but my 3 year old has already figured it out and taught his 6 year old brother.

Similarly, for those who have the same Hallmark Channel requirement problem I do you can subscribe to Frndly for $7.99 a month (I think) and it gives you all of the Hallmark channels (I was disappointed to find out there was more than one) and a few others you probably couldn't care less about.

It's crazy to think that we'll pay an extra $15 a month for programming on 2 channels that I didn't even know existed before I got married. We'll still be paying about half of my previous Uverse bill for everything we care to watch and that includes the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+ bundle for another $13 or so.
Yup. This is exactly why we left.

tcumaniac

I'm late to the party, but I'm not convinced "cutting the cord" and switching to a streaming service like YouTube TV is all that cost effective. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the premise of cord cutting was that you were sacrificing the convenience and quality of product of DirectTV for an inferior steaming service, but it was worth it, because you were saving a lot of money. Maybe YouTube TV is now a comparable product to DirectTV (I've never used it), but all in (and assuming you're negotiating down your price with DirectTV and not letting them rip you off), it's not really that much cheaper right?

I haven't done any recent research, but when I did a few years ago, I found that the added cost of internet when you did not bundle it with TV service essentially offset the savings of cutting the cord and going with a streaming service.

When I first signed up for AT&T internet / DirectTV a few years ago, I had an intro bundle rate of $90 per month all in. In year two, they tried jacking my rate up to $179 a month. It was a bit of a hassle, but I was eventually able to call and negotiate them down to $109 per month for my total internet / tv bill. I don't remember the name of my DirectTV package, but it has all the sports channel I need to watch TCU in nearly every situation.

YouTube TV is $50 per month right? Add the cost of internet service on its own, and you're probably paying as much if not more than me for my DirectTV and internet. Is this wrong?

Eight

I'm late to the party, but I'm not convinced "cutting the cord" and switching to a streaming service like YouTube TV is all that cost effective. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the premise of cord cutting was that you were sacrificing the convenience and quality of product of DirectTV for an inferior steaming service, but it was worth it, because you were saving a lot of money. Maybe YouTube TV is now a comparable product to DirectTV (I've never used it), but all in (and assuming you're negotiating down your price with DirectTV and not letting them rip you off), it's not really that much cheaper right?

I haven't done any recent research, but when I did a few years ago, I found that the added cost of internet when you did not bundle it with TV service essentially offset the savings of cutting the cord and going with a streaming service.

When I first signed up for AT&T internet / DirectTV a few years ago, I had an intro bundle rate of $90 per month all in. In year two, they tried jacking my rate up to $179 a month. It was a bit of a hassle, but I was eventually able to call and negotiate them down to $109 per month for my total internet / tv bill. I don't remember the name of my DirectTV package, but it has all the sports channel I need to watch TCU in nearly every situation.

YouTube TV is $50 per month right? Add the cost of internet service on its own, and you're probably paying as much if not more than me for my DirectTV and internet. Is this wrong?

this isn't purely about the cost of the service as what we pay for streaming is close to what we paid to att.

this is for us about quality of service and i simply can't stress this enough never having to deal with att's customer service and technical support ever again. our leaving them won't break att, but i damn well won't give them another penny.

i have had no issues with the support with streaming, i get to use my modem for internet which means i don't deal with att's crappy equipment and i have had fewer issues with our picture etc.. than what we had with direct tv

i don't know of a streaming service that gives us every channel choice we would like, but what i do know is that i don't feel like i am missing anything that we really want to see and just as i won't spend money on an ambev product i won't send any more money to att i am okay with that even if i was to pay a bit more in the future.

fairly certain revelations mentions a special place in hell for whomever oversees att customer service

Ron Swanson

Maniac is right that the cost savings isn't near as much as people make it out to be. It is cheaper though and you don’t constantly have to negotiate your contract, which is nice. And for what it’s worth, both Uverse and DirecTV have started playing hardball with the contract negotiations. I used to do the same thing that everyone does and threaten to leave and then they’d say’ “oh look, we are having a special if you re-sign another 1 or 2 year contract, yada yada yada”. The last time I tried it with both, they told me to pound sand. “Sorry, no specials going now, it’ll be $235/month to keep your current internet/TV bundle”. So I just left and they said sorry to see you go.

I also went to both of them as well as Xfinity
as a potential new customer if they had a good sign-up deal for me. Nothing.

Also, I don’t find YouTube TV to be inferior at all. I actually like it better than DirecTV and Uverse. The way the guide and DVR are set up is way better, plus there’s no clunky boxes and cords. And I imagine it will only improve with time.

Last edited:

Eight

Maniac is right that the cost savings isn't near as much as people make it out to be. It is cheaper though and you don’t constantly have to negotiate your contract, which is nice. And for what it’s worth, both Uverse and DirecTV have started playing hardball with the contract negotiations. I used to do the same thing that everyone does and threaten to leave and then they’d say’ “oh look, we are having a special if you re-sign another 1 or 2 year contract, yada yada yada”. The last time I tried it with both, they told me to pound sand. “Sorry, no specials going now, it’ll be $235/month to keep your current internet/TV bundle”. So I just left.

Also, I don’t find YouTube TV to be inferior at all. I actually like it better than DirecTV and Uverse. The way the guide and DVR are set up is way better, plus there’s no clunky boxes and cords. And I imagine it will only improve with time.

the part that sold my wife was the fact we could movie the tv's where ever she wanted in the room as the only thing we need to be able to reach was an electrical outlet was a big deal plus the dvr or library feature as it is called on youtube.

PO Frog

Do most people stream over wireless or do you guys hard-wire your TVs for (presumably) better speeds? My streaming seems much improved ever since I hard wired.

hornedfrog86

Do most people stream over wireless or do you guys hard-wire your TVs for (presumably) better speeds? My streaming seems much improved ever since I hard wired.
Wired is always better unless you have a great signal coming in or a good wifi setup. The cable internet here saturates and buffers in Abilene where they have a monopoly.

Eight

no difference for us.

we have not experienced picture quality issues, dropping etc....

two things we have experienced. first, early with roku there would be issues when they push out software updates and it wouldn't be compatible with vue. we have not had any of those issues since switching to youtube.

second is the tv in our master is about a half a count behind the tv on in our main room primarily because the chimney is in between the modem in our home and the tv in the master. noticed it watching the astros-dodgers in the world series.

other than that no issue

Ron Swanson

I’m not sure what TV service my neighbors have, but they were having a Super Bowl party in their backyard this year, and they were way way behind my YouTube TV stream. I was outside grilling watching the game through my patio doors and would hear their whole party scream a good 30-40 seconds after every big play happened.

I thought it would be fun to mess with them and start calling out every play before it happened, but then decided against it.

YA

Maniac is right that the cost savings isn't near as much as people make it out to be. It is cheaper though and you don’t constantly have to negotiate your contract, which is nice. And for what it’s worth, both Uverse and DirecTV have started playing hardball with the contract negotiations. I used to do the same thing that everyone does and threaten to leave and then they’d say’ “oh look, we are having a special if you re-sign another 1 or 2 year contract, yada yada yada”. The last time I tried it with both, they told me to pound sand. “Sorry, no specials going now, it’ll be $235/month to keep your current internet/TV bundle”. So I just left and they said sorry to see you go.

I also went to both of them as well as Xfinity
as a potential new customer if they had a good sign-up deal for me. Nothing
100% yep. I pay $297/month for Direct TV for for 4 tv's and the everything package. These posts got me curious and I called ATT. I just got off the phone with them and the basically offered me $10/month off my bill. Said no other deals available at this time. Before ATT took them over you could easily get $40-$50/month off the bill with one call. Now with ATT it is pound sand.

My only concern is 2 of my TV's are not connected to the internet. I don't want to buy more smart tv's and not sure how to get around getting those hooked up with youtube tv.

Eight

100% yep. I pay $297/month for Direct TV for for 4 tv's and the everything package. These posts got me curious and I called ATT. I just got off the phone with them and the basically offered me $10/month off my bill. Said no other deals available at this time. Before ATT took them over you could easily get $40-$50/month off the bill with one call. Now with ATT it is pound sand.

My only concern is 2 of my TV's are not connected to the internet. I don't want to buy more smart tv's and not sure how to get around getting those hooked up with youtube tv.

do you two tv's have hdmi ports?

if the answer is yes you simply buy a streaming device that connects via the port.

link to an article about how this works and i can't stress enough you don't need to be a tech wizard to set this up on your tv

https://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-a-roku-stick-how-to-use

Ron Swanson

Amazon Firestick.

Easiest thing in the world to set up. Just plugs into your TV’s HDMI port like a thumb drive.

Roku has the same product if you prefer that.

Purp

You don't need a smart TV to get YTTV. All you need is a Roku or FireStick (I have both and can't really recommend one over the other as each has pros and cons) and those are not expensive at all.

My Uverse bill for TV was $130 something after a military discount was applied and before taxes and fees. That got redone about 4 months ago and dropped about $30 over what i had been paying previously. YTTV and the other services I described earlier will cost me around $70 a month. And I agree with Ron that I like it better than Uverse and DTV already. You get the added benefit of being able to watch anything you want anywhere on your phone or tablet.

The internet was costing me a little over $55 after taxes and fees and military discount for what was actually 23 megs down and 3 up. I'm getting Spectrum installed today to get me to an advertised rate of 200 megs for almost $1 less.

For Christmas I asked for an Eero Wi-Fi network for my house. The router/booster set-up we had previously couldn't get a reliable wireless signal to any of my TVs. We constantly had buffering issues when watching movies on Prime. I don't have any such issues now and that's with the low bandwidth I get from Uverse. That should dramatically increase this afternoon when Spectrum installs the new internet service.

Purp

Amazon Firestick.

Easiest thing in the world to set up. Just plugs into your TV’s HDMI port like a thumb drive.

Roku has the same product if you prefer that.
I think I like the Roku set-up better for apps. I find it much easier to navigate and get to what I want more quickly. It also has the added benefit of a partnership with Viacom (I think) that allows you to view a select library of Nick Jr. shows on the Nick Jr. app without having to subscribe to any additional service. This may save me $6 a month on the Noggin subscription if my kids don't complain about missing shows they want to see without Noggin.

The biggest advantage I've found to the FireStick is that it has a browser. I've been able to play TCU baseball games on Gofrogs.com using that browser app. Sometimes I can find them on the CBS Sports app (I think) on the Roku, but other times that app doesn't have those games.

If I were making a recommendation to a non-TCU sports fan I'd suggest the Roku.

Atomic Frawg

Nothing beats riding shotgun and whipping out your phone to watch a live college football game to pass the time.

Also, you canarrange the channels however you want them. You just drag and the drop the order. So the stuff you don't watch, just put it near the bottom.

If you have a kid in college, give'em a logon and you save money by not paying two cable bills. I don't know, YTTV just works for me.