• The KillerFrogs

Streaming is dead

dawg

I'm late to the party, but I'm not convinced "cutting the cord" and switching to a streaming service like YouTube TV is all that cost effective. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought the premise of cord cutting was that you were sacrificing the convenience and quality of product of DirectTV for an inferior steaming service, but it was worth it, because you were saving a lot of money. Maybe YouTube TV is now a comparable product to DirectTV (I've never used it), but all in (and assuming you're negotiating down your price with DirectTV and not letting them rip you off), it's not really that much cheaper right?

I haven't done any recent research, but when I did a few years ago, I found that the added cost of internet when you did not bundle it with TV service essentially offset the savings of cutting the cord and going with a streaming service.

When I first signed up for AT&T internet / DirectTV a few years ago, I had an intro bundle rate of $90 per month all in. In year two, they tried jacking my rate up to $179 a month. It was a bit of a hassle, but I was eventually able to call and negotiate them down to $109 per month for my total internet / tv bill. I don't remember the name of my DirectTV package, but it has all the sports channel I need to watch TCU in nearly every situation.

YouTube TV is $50 per month right? Add the cost of internet service on its own, and you're probably paying as much if not more than me for my DirectTV and internet. Is this wrong?

Might just be me, but my picture quality with YTTV running on a Samsung 2015-model 4K UHD TV through a Roku Ultra is noticeably better than anything I was getting with cable or satellite (and I can actually watch TV when it rains, which is a plus). We cut our "entertainment" bill from $179/mo (cable plus Netflix) to $70 (YTTV plus Netflix and Disney+), and I never, EVER, have to descend to the 12th level of hell that is AT&T customer service/retention ever again. That fact, putting aside the substantial cash savings, makes it worth it. I was going to pay for internet anyway, so I figured why not save a nice wad on TV. Cutting TV actually didn't raise the

Unrelated but also worth noting: the YTTV phone and tablet app blows anything AT&T or DTV have out of the water.

tcumaniac

Might just be me, but my picture quality with YTTV running on a Samsung 2015-model 4K UHD TV through a Roku Ultra is noticeably better than anything I was getting with cable or satellite (and I can actually watch TV when it rains, which is a plus). We cut our "entertainment" bill from $179/mo (cable plus Netflix) to $70 (YTTV plus Netflix and Disney+), and I never, EVER, have to descend to the 12th level of hell that is AT&T customer service/retention ever again. That fact, putting aside the substantial cash savings, makes it worth it. I was going to pay for internet anyway, so I figured why not save a nice wad on TV. Cutting TV actually didn't raise the

Unrelated but also worth noting: the YTTV phone and tablet app blows anything AT&T or DTV have out of the water.

I get it and completely agree. AT&T customer service is an absolute nightmare. And sounds like you think YTTV provides a better product than DirectTV, which could be compelling enough in its own right to make the switch.

I just want to point out a slight flaw in your "I was going to pay for internet anyway" logic, as it glossed over a point I was trying to make in my previous post. Last I looked at internet for Charter or AT&T (which were the only two options where I live) it was like $30 per month if I bundled it with a TV service and somewhere around $60 a month on its own. Paying for internet on its own and then paying for a separate streaming service ended up costing as much or more than what I was paying for internet and TV through AT&T/DirectTV.

Purp

I get it and completely agree. AT&T customer service is an absolute nightmare. And sounds like you think YTTV provides a better product than DirectTV, which could be compelling enough in its own right to make the switch.

I just want to point out a slight flaw in your "I was going to pay for internet anyway" logic, as it glossed over a point I was trying to make in my previous post. Last I looked at internet for Charter or AT&T (which were the only two options where I live) it was like $30 per month if I bundled it with a TV service and somewhere around $60 a month on its own. Paying for internet on its own and then paying for a separate streaming service ended up costing as much or more than what I was paying for internet and TV through AT&T/DirectTV.
I'm not sure how you are getting $30 internet unless it is extremely low bandwidth. As I mentioned previously my Uverse internet bill was bundled with our TV and cell phones and it cost me $45 a month after a military discount and before taxes and fees were applied. I'm getting Spectrum (formerly Charter) internet installed this afternoon and my bill will be $52.05 a month including all taxes and fees. The Spectrum total amount is less than $1 below my total internet portion of my bill to AT&T (including taxes, fees, and discounts) and I'm getting nearly 10 times the advertised bandwidth. There is also no contract with Spectrum where my rate goes up after the contract expires.

I get that there were discounts associated with bundling, but I think you're overstating them. I always only got $10 off per month for every service bundled. So if I had TV, mobile, and internet service with AT&T I was getting $10 off my internet and $10 off my TV each month for a total of $20 savings. And those deductions were also included in what I stated I was paying AT&T. Even if they weren't, that amount isn't in the neighborhood of the ~$70 I will be saving every month.

FWIW I had DTV when I was at Fort Hood b/c Uverse wasn't available near there. My dad currently has DTV. I'm very familiar with both Uverse and DTV services and I don't see an advantage for either over YTTV except for maybe the last channel button. Does anyone know how to toggle back to the last channel you were watching on YTTV on either Roku or FireStick? I have only tried it for one night, but never figure that one out.

Ron Swanson

I'm not sure how you are getting $30 internet unless it is extremely low bandwidth. As I mentioned previously my Uverse internet bill was bundled with our TV and cell phones and it cost me $45 a month after a military discount and before taxes and fees were applied. I'm getting Spectrum (formerly Charter) internet installed this afternoon and my bill will be $52.05 a month including all taxes and fees. The Spectrum total amount is less than $1 below my total internet portion of my bill to AT&T (including taxes, fees, and discounts) and I'm getting nearly 10 times the advertised bandwidth. There is also no contract with Spectrum where my rate goes up after the contract expires.

I get that there were discounts associated with bundling, but I think you're overstating them. I always only got $10 off per month for every service bundled. So if I had TV, mobile, and internet service with AT&T I was getting $10 off my internet and $10 off my TV each month for a total of $20 savings. And those deductions were also included in what I stated I was paying AT&T. Even if they weren't, that amount isn't in the neighborhood of the ~$70 I will be saving every month.

FWIW I had DTV when I was at Fort Hood b/c Uverse wasn't available near there. My dad currently has DTV. I'm very familiar with both Uverse and DTV services and I don't see an advantage for either over YTTV except for maybe the last channel button. Does anyone know how to toggle back to the last channel you were watching on YTTV on either Roku or FireStick? I have only tried it for one night, but never figure that one out.
The best way to do it is to go to the home screen and then scroll down two levels and it has all the last few channels you have been on

Purp

The best way to do it is to go to the home screen and then scroll down two levels and it has all the last few channels you have been on
Thanks. I'll give it a shot when I get home. I just tried rearranging my channels strategically with the most used on top to minimize the inconvenience.

PurpleBlood87

I’m not sure what TV service my neighbors have, but they were having a Super Bowl party in their backyard this year, and they were way way behind my YouTube TV stream. I was outside grilling watching the game through my patio doors and would hear their whole party scream a good 30-40 seconds after every big play happened.

I thought it would be fun to mess with them and start calling out every play before it happened, but then decided against it.

What were you grilling?

dawg

Yeah, then you might be better off staying w/ DTV if the before & after price is a wash. I would have if the monthly price difference wasn’t there. I was paying $165 for TV service alone (not including internet and two cell lines), so the slight bump in Internet price ($30 to 50; keeping my cell lines lowered the Internet a bit) was offset by savings from switching to YTTV.

tcumaniac

Lot's of people way over paying for DirectTV.

It's all negotiable. Just takes a mixture of kindness, persistence, and patience.

But if Youtube TV + internet really is a comparable product at a similar price to what I'm currently paying, I'd be happy to never have to talk to an AT&T /Direct TV customer service rep again.

Atomic Frawg

It's all negotiable. Just takes a mixture of kindness, persistence, and patience.

But if Youtube TV + internet really is a comparable product at a similar price to what I'm currently paying, I'd be happy to never have to talk to an AT&T /Direct TV customer service rep again.
Can you take ATT or DTV on the road? Serious question.

Last edited:

InstaFrog

I’m paying $105/month for YTTV + 200/200 FIOS.
Before I cut the cord initially (PS Vue), I took inventory of what the family watched weekly, monthly, seasonally. Locals/News/Sports for me, Bravo/TLC etc for wife. I ended up getting more Sports and wifey didn’t lose anything. Most of what cable and Direct fill their lineup with is filler that we never ended up watching.

So I lost some channels ( that were never on my radar anyway), lost 3 rental boxes (DVR+ 2 HD) that were over $30/month, lost most of the federal/state/city add on taxes, and lost the aggravation of switching services when their 12-month teaser rate expired.

Gained:
1) Flexibility with 5 streams (now 3 with YTTV). Easily take your Fire TV stick and remote with you to use on hotel or rental house TVs just like at home. Share login with kids at TCU without issue. Plus a TV wherever you have electrical, not coax dependent

2) unlimited DVR

3) An extra $100 in my wallet every month

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
What are the best internet only options in the metroplex? Some are limited, I've already eliminated Verizon fios and Frontier as unavailable in my particular neighborhood...

Double D

Tier 1
Where I live (75287) my only options are Spectrum or att Uverse internet. I'm waiting on Verizon 5G home internet. When that is available, adios att Uverse!
No fiber in my area yet as all my utilities are underground. That costs a fortune to install so I think I'm stuck for a while.

What are the best internet only options in the metroplex? Some are limited, I've already eliminated Verizon fios and Frontier as unavailable in my particular neighborhood...

Atomic Frawg

I think Spectrum has specials right now offering 200mps/$40 mo or 400mps/$50 monthly. If you need more bandwidth than that, and I don't know why you would, but I think ATT has internet only at 1000mps/$70 monthly.

Eight

I think Spectrum has specials right now offering 200mps/$40 mo or 400mps/$50 monthly. If you need more bandwidth than that, and I don't know why you would, but I think ATT has internet only at 1000mps/$70 monthly.

one thing to pay attention to about internet if you opt to go to streaming is the caps of usage.

if you are pricing out plans ask if they allow unlimited data. i have not seen many of the cheaper internet options that allow unlimited streaming.

Atomic Frawg

one thing to pay attention to about internet if you opt to go to streaming is the caps of usage.

if you are pricing out plans ask if they allow unlimited data. i have not seen many of the cheaper internet options that allow unlimited streaming.
True, watch out for caps. Spectrum doesn't have caps, but ATT does at 1T/mo for packages below the 1l mps. The 1000mps package has no cap, but their stuff seems to change frequently.