• The KillerFrogs

So who is the actual QB this week/moving forward?

Wexahu

You sound like mediocre is good enough, it’s not.
Hoover couldnt even make the depth chart last year, so he ran scout teams for the most part. To his credit, he made a huge change in his body and was able to land a backup role against -0- competition.
He’s a good backup, even a decent starter, but he’s not gonna make another huge leap in body development or grow several inches for next year. He’s certainly not gonna take TCU to the CFP, or even the CCG.
If 7 wins make you happy, Hoover is your guy, but we need someone who is much better.
He’s a freshman. Do you know the number of QBs who were “mediocre” their freshman year who ended up being very good or great college QBs? Hell, the pro football hall of fame is full of guys that sucked as college freshman, or didn’t see the field. And just to be clear, I’m in no way saying he’s for sure destined for some kind of greatness, not even close.

If he had played EXACTLY like he has but was a high star, high profile recruit people would have an entirely different opinion of him.

y2kFrog

Hoover couldnt even make the depth chart last year, so he ran scout teams for the most part. To his credit, he made a huge change in his body and was able to land a backup role against -0- competition.
He’s a good backup, even a decent starter, but he’s not gonna make another huge leap in body development or grow several inches for next year. He’s certainly not gonna take TCU to the CFP, or even the CCG.
If 7 wins make you happy, Hoover is your guy, but we need someone who is much better.

The last person to put up numbers like Hoover has in his first five starts is CJ Stroud. Stroud first five games were against Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, Tulsa and Oregon (not exactly that challenging). Stroud also had an all world receiving corp.

Diehard

It’s just ridiculous the knee jerk reactions and opinions on players. Hoover is a RS freshman who has started what, 6 games? And it’s not like he’s looked in over his head at all, even had two really really good games. And this guy already declared that his ceiling is 7 wins. Hell, he could have won 5 or 6 easily THIS year, as a freshman with a below average defense and no returning skill position players other than the TE. So basically the kid has almost maxed out his potential already based on what this guy has seen this year?

So incredibly dumb.
Hmmmmmm!

Fosterpark Squatter

Yeah that seems clear to me. I wanted and expected CM to succeed but he had a fair chance imo and failed.
Failed is a bit harsh imo, also no one seems to mention the Hoover pick right before half against the Horns.

Wexahu

Failed is a bit harsh imo, also no one seems to mention the Hoover pick right before half against the Horns.

I remember when Auburn fans basically gave up on Bo Nix and were ready to move on from him.

tetonfrog

We have a better chance to get a transfer QB this off-season because our coaches hopefully believe we are not set at QB. I bet that Sonny told any transfer QBs last offseason that we were essentially set at QB with CM, Jackson & then Hoover.

I would hope that they tell any possible transfer QB this year that we have 2 guys who have started & a frosh coming in, but that the job is wide open. But………..this is the same staff that picked CM as the starter over Max & Hoover the last two years, so who knows?

I don’t see a great QB in the portal right now. We would be OK in ‘24 if we keep the QB room intact & focus on rebuilding our OL. A much improved OL would help our ‘24 offense more than a retread QB. Both CM & Hoover have shown they can carve up a defense if they have time to throw, which has been rare this year.

fanatical frog

We would be OK in ‘24 if we keep the QB room intact & focus on rebuilding our OL. A much improved OL would help our ‘24 offense more than a retread QB. Both CM & Hoover have shown they can carve up a defense if they have time to throw, which has been rare this year.

Truth.

ShreveFrog

I don’t see a great QB in the portal right now. We would be OK in ‘24 if we keep the QB room intact & focus on rebuilding our OL. A much improved OL would help our ‘24 offense more than a retread QB. Both CM & Hoover have shown they can carve up a defense if they have time to throw, which has been rare this year.
^^^ Agree on that part.

Moose Stuff

Your observations on Hoover are ignorant at best.

Moose Stuff

He’s a freshman. Do you know the number of QBs who were “mediocre” their freshman year who ended up being very good or great college QBs? Hell, the pro football hall of fame is full of guys that sucked as college freshman, or didn’t see the field. And just to be clear, I’m in no way saying he’s for sure destined for some kind of greatness, not even close.

If he had played EXACTLY like he has but was a high star, high profile recruit people would have an entirely different opinion of him.
If Hauss plays as a RS frosh and plays like this in his first 5 starts the board will be debating how many Heismans he wins before he leaves FW.

fanatical frog

For the record I respect both young men and think we need em both but seems to be a lot of Chandler hate out of nowhere and forgetfulness of Hoovers UT pick and the K State game.

I like both of them too and, as I've said before, I hope we can keep them both. But there's no hate going on.....folks just debating the relative merits of our various QB's....it's been going on at least since Andy Dalton.

Wexahu

For the record I respect both young men and think we need em both but seems to be a lot of Chandler hate out of nowhere and forgetfulness of Hoovers UT pick and the K State game.
If CM has played his last down for TCU he’s got nothing to be ashamed of. He played well. Not great or even good all the time but he is not a bad player at all. Just got some bad breaks with injuries and the guys replacing them happened to play well enough to keep him on the sideline. It’s sports. It happens.

To be honest if he transfers somewhere and ends up having a really good year or two I would not be surprised at all.