• The KillerFrogs

Shawn Robinson tranferring

Mean Purple

I decided to look at this when comparing P5 vs P5 with Shawn and Collins. Shawn played better teams, but he also had more players around him than Collins last two games. Regardless, I think you can give Shawn a slight curve here. Both guys played 4 full games against P5 teams this year and it's below:

Shawn
Comp %: 62%
Yards Per Game: 244
Total TDs: 5 (5 passing 0 Rushing)
Turnovers: 10 (7 INTS, 3 Lost Fumbles)
Rush YPG: 29.5
Rush YPA: 3.2

Collins
Comp %: 58%
Yards Per Game: 235
Total TDs: 7 (5 passing 2 Rushing)
Turnovers: 2 (2 INTS, 0 Lost Fumbles)
Rush YPG: 20.5
Rush YPA: 2.3

Overall, neither player was really dynamic this year but Shawn had 2 turnovers for every TD. That is just really bad and there is no way to deny it. Collins didn't light the world on fire either but he protected the ball much better and just appeared to be in better control out there.

All that said, I am bummed to see him go especially if it ended on bad terms. Seemed well-spoken and a good ambassador for TCU Football. I was probably too hard on him this year as the deficiencies on offense weren't the fault of one player--even the QB. If he stuck around I figured he would have had a good shot to start next year.
YPA is just sad. And that is all on the play scheme ... Cumbie. I will never accept that a great offensive strategy is to do so much behind the line of scrim. The "it loosens them up" line is garbage here because, well, we got clobbered doing it.

ShreveFrog

I don't know who "turned" on SR. I was hoping he'd come back strong in the spring and summer, improve in areas he needed to, and win the job back. That would've been good for TCU. I'll just have to root for the guys we have.

I am disappointed that he seems to be backing off from a challenge. If that's the case, then we're probably better off.

FrogLifeYo

BINGO! Just was not sure I was the only one thinking it.
Absolute truth...It’s pretty clear that the offense doesn’t prepare the same way the defense does..Expectations seem to be different depending on what side of the ball you play. This is a prime example of why the HC needs to spend time invested and game planning on both sides of the ball. If he wants to be the DC along with his HC responsibilities than hiring a guy who’s never been a coordinator before was a bad hire..You better go get a veteran OC who’s also had some HC experience and reserve your studd recruiting guy to the QB coach job

Mean Purple

giphy.gif
I wouldn't if they had gotten him into a program where he can see more golf weather...

tetonfrog

i love my kids, but hell no......

I am sure there was a pay raise for him, too. The Herald was a Donrey paper and they were known for low wages. I dated a girl at a grocery store and their baggers made more money than me. Donrey ended up merging the Denison and Sherman papers to save money on overhead.

But getting his son more pub was another reason for the move.

Eight

I am sure there was a pay raise for him, too. The Herald was a Donrey paper and they were known for low wages. I dated a girl at a grocery store and their baggers made more money than me. Donrey ended up merging the Denison and Sherman papers to save money on overhead.

But getting his son more pub was another reason for the move.

true, but he got a golf scholarship to a small school in indianna.

curious if the kid made the tour because if he didn't was the education that much better than what he would have gotten staying in texas?

tetonfrog

true, but he got a golf scholarship to a small school in indianna.

curious if the kid made the tour because if he didn't was the education that much better than what he would have gotten staying in texas?

He did not make it on the Tour.

Most of my info on him was second hand through was from my old sports editor. We were talking about the old times a few months ago.

My hunch is that it's a parent driven move as much as anything, but that's nothing but a hunch. Look at his history, he and his family have kind of been free agents since he was 15 years old. If TCU isn't exactly what he thought it would be, he probably just wants to move on to the next opportunity.
FWIW I agree

TCURiggs

How any of you think we’re better off is beyond me. Who wouldn’t want more options? Quick to turn on the kid for having a bad first year. I thought he had a high ceiling, despite his questionable decision making- which I thought would improve.

Gotta love the “we didn’t want him anyway!” opinions and comments.

I don't think I've seen a bunch of "we're better off" posts, just more "we'll be fine" posts. Of course more options are great, but if you didn't envision one of the talented QB's leaving at some point you weren't paying attention. We're not a school that's going to stack a bunch of high profile guys at the QB position, as they'll want to move on and get a shot at PT... we're not Bama. The timing was a little surprising, but not the end result IMO.

McFroggin

He might have to, he might not. I am curious why you seem to think it is a done deal that he is finished? That would be a big surprise to GP and staff.

I’m not saying it is a done deal. I’m saying that it isn’t resolved. Some people with foot drop do not improve enough to play NCAA sports. There are NFL athletes that have fully recovered as well. Coaches are preparing for the worst by looking for transfer QB’s.

Frog-in-law1995

I’m not saying it is a done deal. I’m saying that it isn’t resolved. Some people with foot drop do not improve enough to play NCAA sports. There are NFL athletes that have fully recovered as well. Coaches are preparing for the worst by looking for transfer QB’s.

They’d be looking for a transfer regardless. We’re going into next year with a combined total of 4 starts under center.

BABYFACE

This I would agree on. I think they also think he isn’t done but may need a little more recovery time. But who knows, it is all speculation.

lonestarfrog89

I don't think I've seen a bunch of "we're better off" posts, just more "we'll be fine" posts. Of course more options are great, but if you didn't envision one of the talented QB's leaving at some point you weren't paying attention. We're not a school that's going to stack a bunch of high profile guys at the QB position, as they'll want to move on and get a shot at PT... we're not Bama. The timing was a little surprising, but not the end result IMO.

I suppose a more accurate statement would be that no one seems to be concerned he’s leaving and have made comments effectively writing him off as a bust. As if he couldn’t improve.

And of course we knew there would be a QB battle with Robinson, Duggan and Rogers at some point.. Just didn’t think it would be over before it began, which you alluded to.