• The KillerFrogs

Random: When and How did Sports Hate enter your heart?

Froglaw

Aggies. My older brother-in-law (BIL) is a gung-ho aggy. In college in the mid 60's they were a curiosity and laughable, then under Stallings they had a good year and my BIL really rubbed it in.(That started 50 years of experiencing aggy being terrible winners) Then TCU football started its long roll to the dumps and aggy hired Emory Ballard and miraculously :rolleyes: all these top prospects (would have been 4*/5* only they did not have that rating system in the early 70's) began signing with aggy. That was the start of the cheating machine that makes a$m what it is today in football. Lots and lost of grief from BIL (and sister who by then had gone full retard/aggy. Later, along with Sherrill and other aggys they hated Wacker, claiming he was actually behind some payments and just turned it in because he was going to get caught anyway. Bad coach,anyway that Wacker, they would say, parroting Sherril. Then when Slocum becare their coach and explained that TCU had higher graduation rates that a$m was because TCU was a lot easier. MY BIL often reminded me of that. Often.

Off the family beat, lots of aggy hubris everywhere through the years. A car sales woman who was trying to sell me a car while I was wearing a TCU sweatshirt happily told us the old "What do grads from other schools call a&m grads?...BOSS! Har-de-har-har" I still hear that sorry joke every once in a while. BTW, we did not buy the car!

When my daughter was going through orientation in '98, there were things for the parents. The head of on-campus living was there and quickly announced she was a proud aggy. Later when it was mentioned that Riff Ram was the oldest cheer in the SWC, she interrupted and said that could not be true that it was probably an aggy yell: "Rooool ARMY", performing all the hand gestures with great enthusiasm.. Remember at this time she was an employee of TCU, paid by TCU, talking to parents who were forking over a lot of money for their kid to come to TCU.

And too many other aggy atrocities and depravities to mention.

Easily topped. I was married to an Aggie for 13 years.

Limp Lizard

Easily topped. I was married to an Aggie for 13 years.
tenor.gif

Rose Bowl

Does the date Nov 16, 1974 ring a bell? How about 81-16? Disliked them before but have hated them ever since.

Used to have no position on Tech but then they started throwing tortillas and telling everyone how sorry they are and my hate for them is strong.

Limp Lizard

Does the date Nov 16, 1974 ring a bell? How about 81-16? Disliked them before but have hated them ever since.

I was at that very cold game. The Frogs gave up, Texas just ran the ball...we were awful under Shofner. Most of the points were scored by their 3rd team or worse. Actually the stats were fairly close, we just kept turning the ball over deep in Frog territory.

If you want to have a game to build up hate, look at all the games under Sherrill when he kept his starters in late, tried an on-side kick with a huge lead, etc. etc.

Leap Frog

Don't remember the date, but Jackie Sherrill and Ags were leading Frogs by about 48 points.
Ags ran out of downs and were going for a fg-- instead it was a fake and they went for a td.with long pass.
That was pretty low, even for 'ol Jackie, but he was low-life all the way.

Frog DJ

Like Ron Swanson my sports hate was never derived from an opponent who was just better than my favorite team.

I based my sports disdain toward obnoxious fan bases, and arrogant coaches, administrators and owners.

My parents loved TCU, and we lived less than a mile from campus, so my allegiances were set in stone early on.

In the 50s I despised SMU, because their fans always treated TCU like “little brother,” even though Don Meredith never beat the Frogs (one tie).

In the 60s it was Arkansas. TCU occasionally beat everybody else in the SWC, but not the Hogs, and the Arky fans were insufferable.

The 70s were pretty bleak for the Frogs, so as a Cowboy fan I turned my ire to the Redskins. It was fueled by an especially obnoxious Washington fan on Thanksgiving Day in ‘74. (Revenge was sweet!)

When Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry (one of classiest people I’ve ever met) my love for the Cowboys turned to scorn, and I’ll continue to root against them for as long as that wretched hillbilly owns them.

We had moved to Houston in ‘80, and I’d always been an Oiler fan second, so I adopted them fully until Bud Adams moved them to Tennessee. Adams promptly moved to the top of my list.

In the 90s my animus was directed at Ann Richards (and by extension - Baylor) for leaving my alma mater out of the Big XII. That turned out to be a good thing, because it inspired TCU’s resurgence.

Conference hopping made rivalries more difficult to develop, but I did dislike New Mexico (their fans were pretty abusive), but Utah even more so. (Some nasty encounters in Salt Lake City!)

In the Big XII I must admit UT and OU fans are the least offensive to me, and the Aggies are just irrelevant, to me. TT and BU supporters are the worst, and as a life-long Southern Baptist the rape scandal at Baylor is a source of major embarrassment.

I’m not a fan of smack talk, so I don’t engage in that unless provoked, but I do stand up for TCU when necessary, so it kind of surprises me that TT and BU fans are so “mouthy,” sometimes.

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Yankees in the 90’s against the Rangers probably the first for me.

This was it for me too. Then D-Wade, the Heat and the fixed 2006 NBA finals. Then those lil [hundinnen ] from boise and the 2010 fiesta bowl. Then 2011, scheissing Nelson Cruz and St.Louis. And last but not least, the 2014 CFP committee, baylor, Wisconsin, EsecPN and everyone else that had a hand in screwing us out of a playoff spot.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
It's easy to say Aggy, or the slimy, malodorous urchins from Dallas, or the perfidious vermin from the High Plains, and certainly the pet-killing rapists down 35 a piece, but my real and continuing hate is for ESPN and how they have slowly and surely destroyed what used to be College Football.

Want to see the real villians? They're wearing mouse ears...

Latest posts