• The KillerFrogs

Random: When and How did Sports Hate enter your heart?

Spike

When the anti-christ of college football, Jackie Sherrill, called for an onside kick that he said was miskicked when up by 40 or so. I will ALWAYS hate that guy.

This. Game was 46-0. We got 1 or 2 first downs and kicked a FG. The whole team piled on the kicker and I was like dang it's worse than I thought. Then they announced he'd set the record for points in a career.

Spike

@Froggish it's interesting, you and I share the same moment.

I think it was later in the same game: We were already down to like our 3rd QB, Matt Vogler I think. He already had bum shouler. He's laying on the ground and some Aggie takes a shot directly on his shoulder, after the whistle. He got a 15 yard penalty but we lost or last viable QB and were complete toast at this point. I can't help but think he was coached into doing that. I also remember it being like 7 degrees that Thursday night. I already hated Aggie, but this made it worse.

SnoSki

My dad took me to a rockets game and we sat courtside. I was 6 or 7. Before tipoff Calvin Murphy comes over and asks if we wanna go meet Hakeem the Dream. We say yes and meet Clyde drexler along the way who at the time played for the blazers.

After going into the locker room and meeting Hakeem I was hooked and then when the rockets won the title that year and the following year I was hooked by sports for life.

I became hooked on TCU football after attending my first game... the 2005 season opener in Norman.

Edit: thought it said sports love not hate. Sorry.

SnoSki

Answering the OP correctly now..

I didn’t have a real sports hate until I became a college FB fan I think. I first felt it walking down Guadalupe street in Austin before the football game there in 2006(?).

UT was at the height of the Mack Brown era and TCU had racked up a lot of wins in the mwc but still needed to prove itself to the “big boys” as they said... and of course Andy Dalton’s first road game against this UT team had a lot of tension already packed into it.

The usual UT fan condescension aside, my wife who doesn’t really like sports (then my gf) and I were walking down Guadalupe looking for lunch when a UT student rolled down his window as he was passing, yelled “F&$@ TCU!!!” and threw a bunch of garbage at us. This made her ready to leave before the game even started which made the rest of the day tough. Losing the game to Colt McCoy and the referees in the second half made a hard day worse.

Could not care less if UT is good or not. I keep hoping a cavernous sinkhole will open up and eat their giant, ugly football stadium.

Last edited:

MTfrog5

Yankees in the 90’s against the Rangers probably the first for me. College football is probably BYU or Boise during our MWC years. Tech in 06 dealing with those fans as well. Lots of football hate came in within a couple year period.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Growing up as a fan of the Cowboys, I first hated the Philadelphia Eagles. Because of Buddy Ryan. That hate subsided.

When Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson, I hated the Cowboys. Since Jerry is still there, the hate lives on.

HToady

Back in the 80s I decided to go to a TCU / Baylor game in Waco. Finding the stadium was the first chore. It wasn't on campus, it was in Waco's version of Fair Park called, of all things, "Beverly Hills"! Finally found the stadium. It was in the middle of a grass field with no paved parking. I jumped a curb parked in the grass and paid $5 for the privilege. Walking up to the stadium entrance, there were individuals handing out religious pamphlets which basically said the catholic church was the anti christ and god was a woman. So I thought OK....Sitting in my seat I noticed a small airplane with a banner was buzzing the stadium. The banner said "Sammy Bickham was right". Sammy Bickham was a disgruntled Baylor player that had just left the team. During the invocation, the Baylor invocationist prayed for the the Baylor team and coaches and a victory. In a deep southern accent, "and Lord Jesus be with our Baylor Bears today".......We were down by a score in the third quarter and driving, when the officials took a time out and Grant Teaff got on a live mike and solicited donations for an injured player, and they passed plastic buckets through the crowd.

Needless to say TCU lost and on my way out I gave a "friendly wave" to a local Beverly Hills resident. He then proceeded to chase me out of town with his shotgun out the window of his car. He made his point, I've never been back.

To this day, even if I meet the nicest person in the world, if he says he went to Baylor, I clam up and this pained look washes over my face.

Froggish

Back in the 80s I decided to go to a TCU / Baylor game in Waco. Finding the stadium was the first chore. It wasn't on campus, it was in Waco's version of Fair Park called, of all things, "Beverly Hills"! Finally found the stadium. It was in the middle of a grass field with no paved parking. I jumped a curb parked in the grass and paid $5 for the privilege. Walking up to the stadium entrance, there were individuals handing out religious pamphlets which basically said the catholic church was the anti christ and god was a woman. So I thought OK....Sitting in my seat I noticed a small airplane with a banner was buzzing the stadium. The banner said "Sammy Bickham was right". Sammy Bickham was a disgruntled Baylor player that had just left the team. During the invocation, the Baylor invocationist prayed for the the Baylor team and coaches and a victory. In a deep southern accent, "and Lord Jesus be with our Baylor Bears today".......We were down by a score in the third quarter and driving, when the officials took a time out and Grant Teaff got on a live mike and solicited donations for an injured player, and they passed plastic buckets through the crowd.

Needless to say TCU lost and on my way out I gave a "friendly wave" to a local Beverly Hills resident. He then proceeded to chase me out of town with his shotgun out the window of his car. He made his point, I've never been back.

To this day, even if I meet the nicest person in the world, if he says he went to Baylor, I clam up and this pained look washes over my face.
Wow...What a story!

Froglaw

Off Season Boredom:

Talking to a guy at work and we were trying put a timeline on our various sport hate. Sports hate meaning that moment you stopped liking or being indifferent to a team or athlete..I remembered mine very clearly..

My family started buying season tix to Frog games about the time I entered Jr. High. Seventh grade to be exact. Up to that point I knew plenty about rivalries but I never felt the hate side of them. They were just mystical fun that added to the atmosphere. However in 1991 when A&M came to town the “hit” happened on McPherson, I distinctly remember looking around and seeing maroon wearing SOBs cheering McPherson down on the ground. At that very point the sports hate entered my heart and even today I want throttle every gaggie I come across. I was forever a different sports fan..

So what about you?

Watching SMU's Pro Team blow the Frogs out in the first game of the season in the Cotton Bowl.

I still hate those azzhats!

Brog

First Boise and their stupid smurf turf and stealing our thunder
Then A&M for their constant baseball smack talk, cultish fans, and Big 12 bashing
Then Tech and their obnoxious fans, Ryan Gosling, and gloating of random wins
Then Baylor and their cheating antics, dorky fans, and slimy coach
Then Baker Mayfield, not OU necessarily, just Mayfield... what a jack wad
Then Ohio State and their media love, fake coach, and low class fans
Now UT and their unworthy sense of entitlement, dorky coach and t-shirt fan army

Wow, I guess I never realized I had so much hate inside of me.

How about just shortening this to everybody else.

Off Season Boredom:

Talking to a guy at work and we were trying put a timeline on our various sport hate. Sports hate meaning that moment you stopped liking or being indifferent to a team or athlete..I remembered mine very clearly..

My family started buying season tix to Frog games about the time I entered Jr. High. Seventh grade to be exact. Up to that point I knew plenty about rivalries but I never felt the hate side of them. They were just mystical fun that added to the atmosphere. However in 1991 when A&M came to town the “hit” happened on McPherson, I distinctly remember looking around and seeing maroon wearing SOBs cheering McPherson down on the ground. At that very point the sports hate entered my heart and even today I want throttle every gaggie I come across. I was forever a different sports fan..

So what about you?
81-16

Limp Lizard

Aggies. My older brother-in-law (BIL) is a gung-ho aggy. In college in the mid 60's they were a curiosity and laughable, then under Stallings they had a good year and my BIL really rubbed it in.(That started 50 years of experiencing aggy being terrible winners) Then TCU football started its long roll to the dumps and aggy hired Emory Ballard and miraculously :rolleyes: all these top prospects (would have been 4*/5* only they did not have that rating system in the early 70's) began signing with aggy. That was the start of the cheating machine that makes a$m what it is today in football. Lots and lost of grief from BIL (and sister who by then had gone full retard/aggy. Later, along with Sherrill and other aggys they hated Wacker, claiming he was actually behind some payments and just turned it in because he was going to get caught anyway. Bad coach,anyway that Wacker, they would say, parroting Sherril. Then when Slocum becare their coach and explained that TCU had higher graduation rates that a$m was because TCU was a lot easier. MY BIL often reminded me of that. Often.

Off the family beat, lots of aggy hubris everywhere through the years. A car sales woman who was trying to sell me a car while I was wearing a TCU sweatshirt happily told us the old "What do grads from other schools call a&m grads?...BOSS! Har-de-har-har" I still hear that sorry joke every once in a while. BTW, we did not buy the car!

When my daughter was going through orientation in '98, there were things for the parents. The head of on-campus living was there and quickly announced she was a proud aggy. Later when it was mentioned that Riff Ram was the oldest cheer in the SWC, she interrupted and said that could not be true that it was probably an aggy yell: "Rooool ARMY", performing all the hand gestures with great enthusiasm.. Remember at this time she was an employee of TCU, paid by TCU, talking to parents who were forking over a lot of money for their kid to come to TCU.

And too many other aggy atrocities and depravities to mention.

Aggies. My older brother-in-law (BIL) is a gung-ho aggy. In college in the mid 60's they were a curiosity and laughable, then under Stallings they had a good year and my BIL really rubbed it in.(That started 50 years of experiencing aggy being terrible winners) Then TCU football started its long roll to the dumps and aggy hired Emory Ballard and miraculously :rolleyes: all these top prospects (would have been 4*/5* only they did not have that rating system in the early 70's) began signing with aggy. That was the start of the cheating machine that makes a$m what it is today in football. Lots and lost of grief from BIL (and sister who by then had gone full retard/aggy. Later, along with Sherrill and other aggys they hated Wacker, claiming he was actually behind some payments and just turned it in because he was going to get caught anyway. Bad coach,anyway that Wacker, they would say, parroting Sherril. Then when Slocum becare their coach and explained that TCU had higher graduation rates that a$m was because TCU was a lot easier. MY BIL often reminded me of that. Often.

Off the family beat, lots of aggy hubris everywhere through the years. A car sales woman who was trying to sell me a car while I was wearing a TCU sweatshirt happily told us the old "What do grads from other schools call a&m grads?...BOSS! Har-de-har-har" I still hear that sorry joke every once in a while. BTW, we did not buy the car!

When my daughter was going through orientation in '98, there were things for the parents. The head of on-campus living was there and quickly announced she was a proud aggy. Later when it was mentioned that Riff Ram was the oldest cheer in the SWC, she interrupted and said that could not be true that it was probably an aggy yell: "Rooool ARMY", performing all the hand gestures with great enthusiasm.. Remember at this time she was an employee of TCU, paid by TCU, talking to parents who were forking over a lot of money for their kid to come to TCU.

And too many other aggy atrocities and depravities to mention.
I always wonder why I think of "The Gong Show" when I read your posts.

Mean Purple

My hate for bama started in high school. Auburn is a team I have followed since early high school.
Have been a TCU die hard since 6th grade. Helps that my father is a big TCU fan. (obviously, my going to TCU was just as exciting for him).
Oddly enough, don't dislike SMU the school, but do not like that team or that band.
and, of course, there is that crap camp in waco.