• The KillerFrogs

Per NBC DFW: A "mass casualty incident" on Interstate 35W just north of downtown Fort Worth,

Anyone gotten out today yet? Map traffic shows it slow going but not necessarily no going....course that’s just going off of maps.

Looks like a decent amount of snow over here in SW FTW.

SW FW here too. Took my son outside about 45 minutes ago and we ran around the yard and driveway. Can't even tell we were out there. Coming down pretty hard now.

Chongo94

SW FW here too. Took my son outside about 45 minutes ago and we ran around the yard and driveway. Can't even tell we were out there. Coming down pretty hard now.

Just looked outside and yeah, it’s definitely starting to come down now.

Just saw some news shots on NBC of drivers in Dallas....some of them are just going as fast as they please. That’s insane to me. People just driving fast and passing in these lanes that still looked pretty covered and sketchy to me.

Pharm Frog

Just looked outside and yeah, it’s definitely starting to come down now.

Just saw some news shots on NBC of drivers in Dallas....some of them are just going as fast as they please. That’s insane to me. People just driving fast and passing in these lanes that still looked pretty covered and sketchy to me.

Oldie but goody (if any tweet can be considered an “oldie”)

Eight

Oldie but goody (if any tweet can be considered an “oldie”)

so who is holding the platter of biscuits because i was taught in drivers ed that once airborne anything inside a vehicle becomes a missile and if grandma isn't a risen biscuit person, well that could cause some problems

Last edited:
curious, do nuclear reactors have this problem?

realize that it is still an unproven technology and not used anywhere unlike wind and solar
(I will take the bite or jab ha.)

Nuclear is (while, admittedly, this opinion comes from someone whose firm is heavily concentrated in wind/solar) the base load provider. Clearly. Should be, along with hydro. Being what it is, nuclear, it has pretty much every protection known to man (earthquake, cooling, etc.). It is, as a result, damn expensive. That is partially why there are only two reactors in the U.S. under construction. High risk, high reward.

We do not build and/or purchase weathering equipment (deicing etc.) for the turbines in West Texas, thus the outages. We turn those suckers off and preserve the blades et al.

tl:dr Nuclear good. Big fan of it (no pun intended).

Brog

Nuclear is (while, admittedly, this opinion comes from someone whose firm is heavily concentrated in wind/solar) the base load provider. Clearly. Should be, along with hydro. Being what it is, nuclear, it has pretty much every protection known to man (earthquake, cooling, etc.). It is, as a result, damn expensive. That is partially why there are only two reactors in the U.S. under construction. High risk, high reward.

We do not build and/or purchase weathering equipment (deicing etc.) for the turbines in West Texas, thus the outages. We turn those suckers off and preserve the blades et al.

Good explanation. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. Thanks.

Eight

appreciate the response and a fan of looking for cleaner energy sources.

realize that nuclear is expensive, but if has been effectively powering a good portion of the us navy's fleet and providing energy in numerous countries around the world.

cheaper isn't always better long term and there are definite issues with solar, wind, and hyrdo

appreciate the response and a fan of looking for cleaner energy sources.

realize that nuclear is expensive, but if has been effectively powering a good portion of the us navy's fleet and providing energy in numerous countries around the world.

cheaper isn't always better long term and there are definite issues with solar, wind, and hyrdo
Certainly agree abt the last point. There are advantages and disadvantages to all. The key: Find the balance.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The crushing issue is gas: Texas has a law that prioritizes homeowners over industry for gas supplies. This is important in the winter, as gas is needed by NatGas instant-on generating stations that fill the peak loads. When the need is there, their gas lines are empty. Some 10 years ago, pipes in many of these peak load stations froze and burst due to this rule. Crazy.

There have been many developments in nuclear power since the Usual Government Suspects sclerotically dragged themselves to approve a reactor design. SMR (Small Modular Reactors) could easily fulfill needed baseload power and would be very much cost effective, but natural gas is cheap and plentiful. But, due to the rules in Texas, we are literally running out of gas when we need it most.

Pharm Frog

Six of our eight wind farms are offline due to temps. Gonna see rolling outages sooner than expected.

A fella I know at church works for an energy company. I don’t understand many of the terms he throws around but today he said that he’d been told in an early morning meeting that if some estimates were accurate that there would be rolling blackouts. Said he’d never heard that said before in his career. Said many times he’d been told that if estimates held that it would be touch-and-go but never a certainty.

Then he spent the rest of the morning monitoring a laptop that updated with data every five minutes.

Big Frog II

I saw where Bill Gates also believes in nuclear, and is working on a design for a safer nuclear plant.