• The KillerFrogs

Our Grand Old Lady

Deep Purple

QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 27 2010, 01:02 AM) [snapback]602943[/snapback]
Amon G. Carter Stadium
2850 Stadium Dr. - 1930; 1947; 1948; 1956

Fort Worth Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick designed both the east and west stands for the school in 1930, but only the west side was constructed that year. Butcher & Sweeney were the General Contractors for the work. In 1947, the east stands were constructed. Enlargement of the stadium was completed in 1948. In 1951, the stadium was named in honor of Amon G. Carter, local businessman, philanthropist, and publisher of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. In 1956, an addition was constructed above the original west stands that dwarfed them. Since that time, numerous renovations and remodel projects have occurred at the stadium. In its current configuration, the stadium seats 46,083.

carterstadium2_small.jpg

Whoever posted this on the Fort Worth Architecture forum, he got a few points of the history dead wrong. First place: Amon Carter Stadium was designed in 1929, not 1930. Construction started in 1929. How could they begin construction before the stadium was designed? It was completed in 1930. It was designed and construction began in 1929.

Second place: The East stands were not constructed in 1947. Any picture of ACS from the 1930s and early 1940s clearly shows the stadium had East stands. In 1947-1948, they extended and enlarged the East stands, just as they did the West stands in 1956. That is probably the point of confusion in this errant history.

Third place: Yes, Amon Carter was a local businessman, philanthropist, and publisher of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. None of that is why they named the stadium for him. They named it for him because he was a member of that TCU Board of Trustees and he led the fundraising effort that secured the money to build the stadium. Without him, it might not have been built.

joejordan

QUOTE(Deep Purple @ Jul 29 2010, 01:25 AM) [snapback]604061[/snapback]
Whoever posted this on the Fort Worth Architecture forum, he got a few points of the history dead wrong. First place: Amon Carter Stadium was designed in 1929, not 1930. Construction started in 1929. How could they begin construction before the stadium was designed? It was completed in 1930. It was designed and construction began in 1929.

Second place: The East stands were not constructed in 1947. Any picture of ACS from the 1930s and early 1940s clearly shows the stadium had East stands. In 1947-1948, they extended and enlarged the East stands, just as they did the West stands in 1956. That is probably the point of confusion in this errant history.

Third place: Yes, Amon Carter was a local businessman, philanthropist, and publisher of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. None of that is why they named the stadium for him. They named it for him because he was a member of that TCU Board of Trustees and he led the fundraising effort that secured the money to build the stadium. Without him, it might not have been built.

I knew something was wrong with that FW photographers personal recollection of various FW developments over the decades...I just couldn't put my finger on it. :excl:

oldscribe

QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 29 2010, 11:05 AM) [snapback]604254[/snapback]
I knew something was wrong with that FW photographers personal recollection of various FW developments over the decades...I just couldn't put my finger on it. :excl:

As I have mentioned before, whatever the architect did, the basic plan was from the blueprints for Ohio State's stadium.....this per conversations with Dutch Meyer. And if you have seen Ohio Stadium, imagining it without the massive expansions over the years, there is the original non-upper deck AGS.

Hump

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jul 27 2010, 12:14 PM) [snapback]603131[/snapback]
I was there. Who was there for the 81-16 loss to UT? I stayed for every minute, but had a flask.

present, schnaaps was tasty that day!

Phroggie

QUOTE(NativeFrog @ Jul 27 2010, 02:16 PM) [snapback]603209[/snapback]
I was there for the 81-16 loss to Texas, and plenty of other losses. Anybody there when the Frogs beat Rice to end a 21-game losing streak?

I was there, in Houston, in a driving rain storm. Referees had to hold the ball down on the field to keep it from floating away.

NativeFrog

QUOTE(Phroggie @ Aug 8 2010, 11:07 PM) [snapback]609200[/snapback]
I was there, in Houston, in a driving rain storm. Referees had to hold the ball down on the field to keep it from floating away.

I believe we beat Rice in Fort Worth to end the 21-game losing streak.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 29 2010, 11:05 AM) [snapback]604254[/snapback]

Deep put the right finger on it.

dweller

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jul 27 2010, 05:14 PM) [snapback]603131[/snapback]
I was there. Who was there for the 81-16 loss to UT? I stayed for every minute, but had a flask.

I was there, it was my freshman year and I was in the band.