• The KillerFrogs

Our Grand Old Lady

joejordan

...can we have an eventually pinned thread where members can post personal and/or found photos of the venerable Amon G. Carter Stadium? One of the icons of our campus is nearing a significant change in look, and possibly even character. It would be nice to centralize a comprehensive capsule where we can look back at our Grand Old Lady.

Perhaps folks can post interesting and funny stories about AGCS here as well.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 26 2010, 11:16 AM) [snapback]602590[/snapback]
...can we have an eventually pinned thread where members can post personal and/or found photos of the venerable Amon G. Carter Stadium? One of the icons of our campus is nearing a significant change in look, and possibly even character. It would be nice to centralize a comprehensive capsule where we can look back at our Grand Old Lady.

This is a much better proposal than your last one. :tongue:

joejordan

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jul 26 2010, 12:18 PM) [snapback]602595[/snapback]
This is a much better proposal than your last one. :tongue:

lol...but it has seemed more civil around here the last few days. Maybe it's just me...

SoonerFrogs

IMG_75150-vi.jpg

IMG_75145-vi.jpg

SnoSki

I've got a handful that some may enjoy... from a snow day a few years ago:
cimg2268.jpg

A game of ultimate frisbee broke out..fun to watch from where I was at.

(one of the players broke off to go spell "RIFF RAM" in the endzone.. almost finished RIFF before the TCU police made em all leave.)

oldscribe

QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 26 2010, 11:16 AM) [snapback]602590[/snapback]

I will always miss those times when the press box elevator went out and I had to walk up (or down) a totally enclosed and dark stairwell, approximately the length of Empire State Bldg. I took photos, but since it was totally dark in there they didn't come out very well.

oldscribe

I also recall how saddened Dutch was (about 1965 or so) when the main scoreboard was moved from the south end to the north end. His wife had christened that scoreboard when it was installed. Dutch was very sentimental about his first wife (who had passed away some years before I knew him).

IamFroglash88

I wish I had pictures of when we drove to the top of the ramp in a jeep. Winding and Winding our way to the top and never got caught by the TCU Police. Crazy Swimmers.

joejordan

QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ Jul 26 2010, 01:22 PM) [snapback]602669[/snapback]
I wish I had pictures of when we drove to the top of the ramp in a jeep. Winding and Winding our way to the top and never got caught by the TCU Police. Crazy Swimmers.

Yeah - I was surprised that there was very little regular security at the stadium back in the mid 80's. It was easy to gain access and climb on top of the press box. Windy and kinda scary if you were drinking, but great views (especially at night). Enjoyed PBJ's from the Pit up there on several occasions.

SnoSki

QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 26 2010, 12:35 PM) [snapback]602680[/snapback]
Yeah - I was surprised that there was very little regular security at the stadium back in the mid 80's. It was easy to gain access and climb on top of the press box. Windy and kinda scary if you were drinking, but great views (especially at night). Enjoyed PBJ's from the Pit up there on several occasions.

My freshman year, some friends climbed on top of the press box and dropped a watermelon over the side.. they said it broke up into hundreds of 2 inch pieces... :biggrin:

Frog DJ

Riding our bikes over to ACS to sneak in and play a game of touch on the stadium floor (50's), only to be run off by an irate groundskeeper who protected his precious turf during the off season.

Sliding down the hill from the old practice field (before the athletic center was built) to the base of the south end zone scoreboard.

Sitting in the end zone for fifty cents, then sneaking into the west side during halftime when the ushers took a cigarette break.

Rushing the field after TCU upset Kansas opening night 1961, and getting my picture in the Star Telegram the next morning as I slapped Sonny Gibbs on the knee while his teammates carried him off the field on their shoulders.

Sitting in an almost empty student section during my sophomore year, as the PA announcer gave the crowd an update on Abe Martin's condition from the hospital.

Tip of the iceberg...

Go Frogs!

82Frog

Being there the night we beat Arkansas for the first time in 22 years.

Playing Texas in the rain in 1984 when we were both nationally ranked.

The game when lightning hit the smokestack in the upper deck.