• The KillerFrogs

Our Grand Old Lady

Portland Frog

QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 26 2010, 04:54 PM) [snapback]602634[/snapback]
stadium.jpeg

This has to be the 1984 game vs UT.

HToady

QUOTE(FROGLEGHOP @ Jul 26 2010, 09:36 PM) [snapback]602913[/snapback]
Crickets....amazing! You could see the crickets on the field from the upper deck. Who was that against? Kent State? Ball State?

It was against BYU. They thought it was some type of plague for the longest time.

Salfrog

Tier 1
When we came back to beat Tech in the 4th quarter when Stanley Washington had his jersey ripped fighting for the touchdown. I believe that was the '77 season with the tear away jerseys.

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
QUOTE(Salfrog @ Jul 26 2010, 11:04 PM) [snapback]602930[/snapback]
When we came back to beat Tech in the 4th quarter when Stanley Washington had his jersey ripped fighting for the touchdown. I believe that was the '77 season with the tear away jerseys.

1980.....Steve Stamp to S. Washington. Tech DB pulled the shirt over Stanley's head and Stanley ripped out of it . Big win back then.

desmith03

I must go on record saying how much I love this thread!

Finding the seat where my great-grandmother sat for the 1939 Homecoming game against SMU. She was visiting my grandmother & great-uncle.

joejordan

Amon G. Carter Stadium
2850 Stadium Dr. - 1930; 1947; 1948; 1956

Fort Worth Architect Wyatt C. Hedrick designed both the east and west stands for the school in 1930, but only the west side was constructed that year. Butcher & Sweeney were the General Contractors for the work. In 1947, the east stands were constructed. Enlargement of the stadium was completed in 1948. In 1951, the stadium was named in honor of Amon G. Carter, local businessman, philanthropist, and publisher of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. In 1956, an addition was constructed above the original west stands that dwarfed them. Since that time, numerous renovations and remodel projects have occurred at the stadium. In its current configuration, the stadium seats 46,083.

carterstadium2_small.jpg

JimSwinkLives!

QUOTE(ShadowFrog @ Jul 26 2010, 05:50 PM) [snapback]602851[/snapback]
who was there for the cricket game?
:ph34r:

Yeah, I was there for the Cricket Bowl. Against BYU as I recall. Messy.

Coach Pattersons Dog

There were so many crickets that night... it was almost of biblical plague proportions. Players were sliding on them and the fans were trying to keep them out of their clothes.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 26 2010, 12:35 PM) [snapback]602680[/snapback]
Yeah - I was surprised that there was very little regular security at the stadium back in the mid 80's. It was easy to gain access and climb on top of the press box. Windy and kinda scary if you were drinking, but great views (especially at night). Enjoyed PBJ's from the Pit up there on several occasions.

Climbing the dome on DMC was pretty interesting, too.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(crunch @ Jul 26 2010, 12:35 PM) [snapback]602680[/snapback]
Yeah - I was surprised that there was very little regular security at the stadium back in the mid 80's. It was easy to gain access and climb on top of the press box. Windy and kinda scary if you were drinking, but great views (especially at night). Enjoyed PBJ's from the Pit up there on several occasions.

I grew up in the neighborhood and we had free run of the stadium, including many of the old offices and the box. I remember often going into the old coaches offices and all that remained was a cot, an old metal desk and lamp from the 40s. I imagine many a play were drawn up on that desk behind those huge metal doors (hope they preserve those in the new stadium, I mean redeveloped stadium).

We would often race down those ramps on our Schwin stingrays and had many games on that field.

During the season my brother & I would often get in by selling cokes for the 1st half or so. We would just ride up on our bikes and go directly to some old fart who sat inside a dank concrete room and collected the money for the trays we sold. Never saw that guy ever even stand up.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(ShadowFrog @ Jul 26 2010, 05:50 PM) [snapback]602851[/snapback]
who was there for the cricket game?
:ph34r:

I was there. Who was there for the 81-16 loss to UT? I stayed for every minute, but had a flask.

kentbell23

QUOTE(Big Frog II @ Jul 26 2010, 12:47 PM) [snapback]602695[/snapback]
Don't forget the infamous Kilpatrick cat story.

I was there to witness that infamous story. Cat landed on its feet.

NativeFrog

I was there for the 81-16 loss to Texas, and plenty of other losses. Anybody there when the Frogs beat Rice to end a 21-game losing streak?

Leap Frog

QUOTE(Dogfrog @ Jul 27 2010, 12:14 PM) [snapback]603131[/snapback]
I was there. Who was there for the 81-16 loss to UT? I stayed for every minute, but had a flask.

Dog, I was there with a small son. He wanted to leave early, but I prevailed and we stayed to the bitter end. He now understands that Frogs don't quit, and is better for it.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(75frogs @ Jul 27 2010, 02:13 PM) [snapback]603207[/snapback]
I was there to witness that infamous story. Cat landed on its feet.

This wasn't K.... "Killer" Kilpatrick was it?

Leap Frog

QUOTE(NativeFrog @ Jul 27 2010, 02:16 PM) [snapback]603209[/snapback]
I was there for the 81-16 loss to Texas, and plenty of other losses. Anybody there when the Frogs beat Rice to end a 21-game losing streak?

Yep, me and 12,000 others in 1975 and 28-21 win, but Frogs started another 15 game losing streak in 1976. I guess you have to see Hell to know what Heaven is like.