• The KillerFrogs

OT: Why Did You Choose Your KF.c Handle?

Frog DJ

So, is barbequed iguana everything they say it is?
Brewing - We did consume some “interesting” cuisine on the other side of the Rio Grande, and I always laughingly noted that our favorite traditional Mexican food restaurant in Juarez was “conveniently located“ right across the street from the town’s biggest bull fighting ring. ”Excuse me waiter, but why do my beef tamales still have a puja in them?”

The truly compelling episodes came from operating a 200,000 watt AM radio station with its transmitter in Mexico, and the studios in El Paso. In order to broadcast in English, the government required us to pre-record each hour on 10-inch reels of tape a day in advance, and we hired a Mexican national to pick up and deliver the tapes back and forth twice a day.

The Mexican transmitter engineers didn’t really care if the tapes played back correctly, so it wasn’t unusual for the 8 o’clock tape to play at 9, and vice versa, which royally screwed up the highly calculated music rotation we employed. Once in a while, they’d get “herbally adjusted” and totally forget to load the next tape, which would result in long stretches of dead air.

XEROK could be picked up like a local station in Phoenix, Denver and even DFW. I did the morning drive show, and my parents could listen to me every day, sitting in their den in Wedgwood. We showed up in the ratings for markets in the aforementioned cities and several more, and we were the front page, lead story in Radio & Records - “America’s Highest Rated Rock Station.”

We were “wild and crazy,” to say the least!

Go Frogs!

Deep Purple

We were “wild and crazy,” to say the least!

Frog DJ

Not at all. Those old station call letters bring back memories. Haven’t thought KFJZ in years. It was of our two to AM rock stations in late 60s and early 70s. In HS one night in Houston a couple of us went down to KILT (on Lovett?) To try and get Steve Lundy (2 in a row on the Steve Lundy Show) to play something. We all thought there’d be some fancy building, but it seemed to be a crappy 3 or 4 story building with foil on the broadcast room window. Don’t recall if he played anything, but did yell hi out the window.
Lundy was a master, and his ratings were astronomical. Great guy, too.

The KILT building on Lovett was a two-story, run-down dump, and when we moved the studios to a high rise in Greenway Plaza, the new owners had to completely encase the building in plastic sheeting before the EPA would let them remodel. The walls were filled with asbestos.

An all-night DJ lived on the roof for several months until the general manager caught him climbing down the lattice work on the side of the building one day, and made him stop camping out for free. Bill Young just laughed and said, “I wondered how long he could get away with it.”

So many stories…

Go Frogs!

Purp

No kidding, I met a guy today who is named Rex Kramer. At least, that's what his nametag said. And he's from a generation that would be unlikely to have remembered the character names from Airplane. Kinda wish that when he introduced himself, I'd have responded with, "Surely, you must be joking." But he's from a generation that is unlikely to have found that funny.

My dad (his card-playing buddy) said he had served as a submarine captain. So tonight I hit the Google, and sure enough, that's his name.
I went to high school and played soccer with a guy named Rhett Kramer in the late 90s. I said a lot of things to and about him that were funny to only me.

Purp

Because Jerry Jeff is (was, God rest his soul) my spirit animal and Sangria Wine is among my favorite of his songs. I use it on other random boards as well. My current avatar is me with two of my all time favorite Frogs, Brian Estridge and GMFP.

On the old original board I was something totally different and TCU specific, but I can’t remember what it was.

Oh and I love that Sangria Wine when I drink it with old friends of mine!
Doesn't look like sangria in that marg.

JogginFrog

In between those jobs, I made stops at KEEL in Shreveport (twice), XEROK in El Paso (oh, the stories I could tell!)...
I told you it was more than you wanted to hear.
Thanks for the story about XEROK--the top-40 a.m. station of my youth. Can still hear the echoes of the station ID: "Equis Eh Ere Oh Kah...Juárez, México."

SuperBarrFrog

In high School my best group of friends all called each other by our last names for some reason so I was always Barr and still am when we get back together 25 years later. Most my buddies nowadays either call me J-Barr or JB.
I was pleased to see the frog logo I chose many years ago for my photo came out on those new Homefield Apparel shirts this past year so now it is in my game week rotation in the fall.

steelfrog

Tier 1
The most talented and best looking TCU basketball player ever.
For sure!

Steel just looked up a few former TCU athletes and their career earnings professionally.

Not surprisingly, Jake Arrietta leads the way at $102mm. Then Carp at $86mm. Then Kurt Thomas at $66mm. LT right behind him at $57mm. Andrew Cashner $52mm.

If Desmond Bane plays out his current contract, by 2029 he will far exceed all of them at $207mm (he's at about $6mm right now)

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Because Jerry Jeff is (was, God rest his soul) my spirit animal and Sangria Wine is among my favorite of his songs. I use it on other random boards as well. My current avatar is me with two of my all time favorite Frogs, Brian Estridge and GMFP.

On the old original board I was something totally different and TCU specific, but I can’t remember what it was.

Oh and I love that Sangria Wine when I drink it with old friends of mine!
That Viva Terlingua album is so good. I’ve listened to it hundreds of times

Last edited:

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Joe is my real name and "Showtime Joe" was the nickname I picked up for two reasons in the 1990s when I was still living in my native Detroit.

First, I was a trial lawyer back then and I became known for delivering incredible closing arguments. Unfortunately, when it came to everything else a lawyer does in a trial, like direct examinations, cross-examinations, introducing evidence, raising proper and timely objections, I sucked. And I learned the hard way that you can't always win over a jury with a great closing argument since, for some reason, a lot of jurors actually pay attention to the evidence. Anyway, one day, as I was about to give my closing argument at the end of a weeklong trial, my client turned to me with great anticipation and said, "Now, it's showtime!" And the name stuck from there.

Secondly, also back in Detroit, I used to emcee a lot of rock'n'roll and rockabilly concerts (and very occasionally still do in DFW today) and I used to take the stage, grab the microphone, and, in my best, stentorian announcer's voice declare, "It's Showtime in the Motor City!" So, I was known on stage and in the courtroom as Showtime Joe.

Finally, thank you, Prince of Purpoole II, for starting one of the best off-season threads ever!
You’re welcome but without folks like you chiming in it would have been just another flop.