• The KillerFrogs

OT: Why Did You Choose Your KF.c Handle?

ShadowFrog

Moderators
No kidding, I met a guy today who is named Rex Kramer. At least, that's what his nametag said. And he's from a generation that would be unlikely to have remembered the character names from Airplane. Kinda wish that when he introduced himself, I'd have responded with, "Surely, you must be joking." But he's from a generation that is unlikely to have found that funny.

My dad (his card-playing buddy) said he had served as a submarine captain. So tonight I hit the Google, and sure enough, that's his name.
Sub Captain?! Buy him a round whenever you see him. Those guys have BBB required to execute that job.

(Big Brass Balls)

Limp Lizard

In 1968 Pat Paulsen (my avatar) was making the rounds of his mock campaign for President of the U.S. Basically a comedy concert tour. It was at Landreth hall.
When he was at TCU he takes off time from his speech to pull out a brown paper bag with a sandwich. He then donned a Freshman beanie. Someone from the audience yelled out "You horny toad.", to which Paulsen responded "No, just a limp lizard." Big laugh. Back in'96-97 when I first was on this (Don's) forum, I chose Limp Lizard as my Forum name.

Frog DJ

….probably the musty dungeon of Landreth.
Oh yeah, and there, too! KTCU-FM is the stuff that legends are made of.

I was sitting in a secondary studio, prepared to deliver a five-minute sports report for KTCU’s midday news block, and there were several other ne’er-do-well RTF majors in the room, wasting time between classes.

One of them (Dick Carlson) had stacked several random items on an empty mic stand, while he and I traded nonsense back and forth. Suddenly, the guy in the control room told me I was only seconds away from being on the air, so Carlson quickly jumped and backed away.

Of course, he stumbled into the stack of ashtrays, coffee cups and tape reels at precisely the same time as my mic was turned on, and the crash was nothing short of cacophonous.

Everyone in the background erupted in laughter as I did my best to maintain my composure and soldier on through the sportscast without losing it on the air.

Afterward, Dr. RC Norris (the head of the RTF Department) sauntered up to me and said, “You might want to avoid the live studio audience in the future.”

Go Frogs!

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Oh yeah, and there, too! KTCU-FM is the stuff that legends are made of.

I was sitting in a secondary studio, prepared to deliver a five-minute sports report for KTCU’s midday news block, and there were several other ne’er-do-well RTF majors in the room, wasting time between classes.

One of them (Dick Carlson) had stacked several random items on an empty mic stand, while he and I traded nonsense back and forth. Suddenly, the guy in the control room told me I was only seconds away from being on the air, so Carlson quickly jumped and backed away.

Of course, he stumbled into the stack of ashtrays, coffee cups and tape reels at precisely the same time as my mic was turned on, and the crash was nothing short of cacophonous.

Everyone in the background erupted in laughter as I did my best to maintain my composure and soldier on through the sportscast without losing it on the air.

Afterward, Dr. RC Norris (the head of the RTF Department) sauntered up to me and said, “You might want to avoid the live studio audience in the future.”

Go Frogs!
Were you in the dungeon same timeframe as Rev & McMurphy?

Opintel

Moderators
I "worked" that gig for a semester, back in about '70 ish. My favorite was the shipments of records that came in periodically.

Moms Mabley - I'd play 'em, then get yelled at. Good times.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
As I recall I began with Don Dowel’s golf board in ‘95, original handle escapes me. Since I was still active-duty military at the time I chose USAFrog with the idea that the F in USAF would overlap the F in Frog to make a bold font F. That utterly failed in ‘95 software to wit I was quickly schooled by both Wes & the man behind the curtain. It also led to other posters thinking I was either related to cusafrog or actually him in disguise. This led to me receiving more than a few pithy “thoughts” from other posters on how to properly “motivate” QB Casey Printers to remove his cranium from…an interior location. More than once I had to patiently explain I was not CP’s uncle & had zero influence. Later, Uncle Sam said thankyouverymuch for those 2 combat tours in the desert, now please report to Ramstein AB at headquarters staff so there I became GermanFrog for 3 years. I vividly recall “watching” a couple Frog games on a sketchy internet connection (losing to Rice) as well as LT’s monster 400 yards game over UTEP while I was dispatched in disgrace to Bosnia in winter ‘99. Upon return in ‘00 I was handed orders to return CONUS & teach in Transportation schoolhouse. I prepared to return to my old avatar but after my 3rd combat tour Uncle Sam surprised me & declared I was Unerwünscht, so I was invited to separate or maybe survive to retirement. A year later 911 happened & suddenly Uncle Sam didn’t need PowerPoint Rangers anymore—war was coming. I volunteered & went to Kuwait alone for a year so became KuwaitFrog. After returning to CONUS in ‘03 I went back to USAFrog for a year. I think I was RetiredFrog for … 6 months till my old desert commander called me to say “….I heard you don’t have a retired job.” You can imagine the rest—2 weeks later I was on a plane back to Kuwait so KuwaitFrog got a 2nd year tour alone as a civilian at same airport. Upon return from 5th combat tour I decided enough government service for me & became ShadowFrog. Scott & Wes asked me to Moderate, I was honored to accept.

The most talented and best looking TCU basketball player ever.
He is the most fun player I‘ve watched in TCU basketball history going back to the 90’s. He definitely fit in real well in the Billy Tubbs era. I seemed to remember him getting into it with a Tulsa player back then.

I always felt like James Penny would have been great for the Harlem Globetrotters.

Rex Kramer

As I recall I began with Don Dowel’s golf board in ‘95, original handle escapes me. Since I was still active-duty military at the time I chose USAFrog with the idea that the F in USAF would overlap the F in Frog to make a bold font F. That utterly failed in ‘95 software to wit I was quickly schooled by both Wes & the man behind the curtain. It also led to other posters thinking I was either related to cusafrog or actually him in disguise. This led to me receiving more than a few pithy “thoughts” from other posters on how to properly “motivate” QB Casey Printers to remove his cranium from…an interior location. More than once I had to patiently explain I was not CP’s uncle & had zero influence. Later, Uncle Sam said thankyouverymuch for those 2 combat tours in the desert, now please report to Ramstein AB at headquarters staff so there I became GermanFrog for 3 years. I vividly recall “watching” a couple Frog games on a sketchy internet connection (losing to Rice) as well as LT’s monster 400 yards game over UTEP while I was dispatched in disgrace to Bosnia in winter ‘99. Upon return in ‘00 I was handed orders to return CONUS & teach in Transportation schoolhouse. I prepared to return to my old avatar but after my 3rd combat tour Uncle Sam surprised me & declared I was Unerwünscht, so I was invited to separate or maybe survive to retirement. A year later 911 happened & suddenly Uncle Sam didn’t need PowerPoint Rangers anymore—war was coming. I volunteered & went to Kuwait alone for a year so became KuwaitFrog. After returning to CONUS in ‘03 I went back to USAFrog for a year. I think I was RetiredFrog for … 6 months till my old desert commander called me to say “….I heard you don’t have a retired job.” You can imagine the rest—2 weeks later I was on a plane back to Kuwait so KuwaitFrog got a 2nd year tour alone as a civilian at same airport. Upon return from 5th combat tour I decided enough government service for me & became ShadowFrog. Scott & Wes asked me to Moderate, I was honored to accept.
fascinating michael j fox GIF

Whoa. That’s a hell of a timeline. Thanks for sharing and your service.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
In 1968 Pat Paulsen (my avatar) was making the rounds of his mock campaign for President of the U.S. Basically a comedy concert tour. It was at Landreth hall.
When he was at TCU he takes off time from his speech to pull out a brown paper bag with a sandwich. He then donned a Freshman beanie. Someone from the audience yelled out "You horny toad.", to which Paulsen responded "No, just a limp lizard." Big laugh. Back in'96-97 when I first was on this (Don's) forum, I chose Limp Lizard as my Forum name.

This reminds of the absolute genius that was The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour

Last edited:

Latest posts