• The KillerFrogs

OT-Any former or current Restaurant/Bar Owners on here

tcufrogprince1

Getting ready to open a boil house in Kemah/Seabrook and wanted to know if there are any fellow frogs that own/operate or used to own a restaurant or bar that can give me some feedback and extra direction.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Getting ready to open a boil house in Kemah/Seabrook and wanted to know if there are any fellow frogs that own/operate or used to own a restaurant or bar that can give me some feedback and extra direction.
I just moved from there in December, and one of our favorite hangouts was a joint nestled up under the 146 bridge called Outrigger's. They were supposedly closing and moving, but I heard no more.

Where is your spot? The Seabrook side is very different from the Kemah side, and, being an old and somewhat crusty curmudgeon, I tended to like the Seabrook side. Besides, I think Tilman Fertitta owns just about everything that isn't nailed down in Kemah.

Dogfrog

I just moved from there in December, and one of our favorite hangouts was a joint nestled up under the 146 bridge called Outrigger's. They were supposedly closing and moving, but I heard no more.

Where is your spot? The Seabrook side is very different from the Kemah side, and, being an old and somewhat crusty curmudgeon, I tended to like the Seabrook side. Besides, I think Tilman Fertitta owns just about everything that isn't nailed down in Kemah.

I feel like I have drunk enough beer at Outriggers and Boondoggles to have earned equity. Seriously drinking and watching the boats on the lower level at Outriggers, doesn’t get much better.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I feel like I have drunk enough beer at Outriggers and Boondoggles to have earned equity. Seriously drinking and watching the boats on the lower level at Outriggers, doesn’t get much better.
I think I have asked before, but a good buddy of mine played drums there back a few years ago with an act called 'Pier Pressure' and covered a lot of 80's tunes. Didn't know if you ever caught them. Excellent drummer!

Dogfrog

I think I have asked before, but a good buddy of mine played drums there back a few years ago with an act called 'Pier Pressure' and covered a lot of 80's tunes. Didn't know if you ever caught them. Excellent drummer!

I bet I’ve seen them but the name doesn’t ring a bell. We moved to Ft Worth four years ago. I have a good friend whose brother’s weekend gig is playing drums in a cover band that we used to chase around the Houston bars they played. Currently called Bad Sneakers doing mostly Steely Dan cover. Yea we’re old.

Eight

Own seven establishments in NYC. Different world up there. Happy to be of help if I can.

backtoschool-rodneydangerfield-inclass.jpg

tell us about your dealings with the people in charge of waste management in nyc

tetonfrog

Is the Classic Cafe still open in Seabrook? I loved that place when we lived in Clear Lake. Hopefully visiting again in October for my 30th HS reunion.

BABYFACE

Sweat Equity seems to be most qualified here.

I used to be chef(classically trained) and ran restaurants. Getting married and having kids moved me out of this biz.

Sweat Eq should be able to give you and idea what to expect to on how much of a bankroll to get thru your first year. Too many places open and close within a few months because they didn’t set enough funds aside to get going and established.

Hiring the right people is key, they can make you or break you. Also, who’s going to be there watching over like a hawk to make sure business is being conducted properly and your guests are being taken care of? If you cannot be there and literally live there, then you need to hire someone you can trust. Secondly, don’t be cheap because then you’ll get someone you cannot trust.

Since you are seafood, your food costs are going to be high. Waste will kill you. You do not want to constantly running out of seafood either, because that will kill your business. You will have to figure out your pars and always be adjusting them. Also, how did you arrive at developing your menu pricing?

No matter how good your seafood is, it will taste like [ Finebaum ]e to customers if your service is bad. Service is key. Consistency is what will allow you to stay in business over the long haul. Again, easier said then done.

My parting words: The restaurant and hospitality business only rewards those that are relentless in this bust-arse industry. It punishes the lazy and stupid.

tcumaniac

Pretty sure sweat equity graduated TCU 3 years before I did. Sometimes I feel like he’s pulling our leg.

On the board of a major hospital(s). Working from Hawaii indefinitely. Owns 7 restaurants in New York. Bought a suite on the new east side. Hell, I can’t even remember many of the other claims.

Anyway. I’m over here pretty proud that my cars are paid off and I have more than 30% equity into my home.

Maybe I’m still just a few years away from being the proud owner of a few NYC restaurants.

Pretty sure sweat equity graduated TCU 3 years before I did. Sometimes I feel like he’s pulling our leg.

On the board of a major hospital(s). Working from Hawaii indefinitely. Owns 7 restaurants in New York. Bought a suite on the new east side. Hell, I can’t even remember many of the other claims.

Anyway. I’m over here pretty proud that my cars are paid off and I have more than 30% equity into my home.

Maybe I’m still just a few years away from being the proud owner of a few NYC restaurants.
I take no pride in *saying* I own the establishments - merely was offering advice. (And pls do not dox me. I know you know who I am.) And happy to transfer those NYC establishments to you...with the liabilities.

(And here is the view from this evening from a hike into Town.) I do not scheissing with anyone.

FC8-EE2-DF-6572-4-DCC-B47-D-ADA3-CF517578.jpg

Last edited: