• The KillerFrogs

OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jul 12 2010, 04:58 PM) [snapback]596404[/snapback]
I know the U.S. team is playing Brazil in August or something in NY I believe

August 11 at the new Meadowlands Stadium. Should be a packed house and I would expect that Brazil will have many of their big names on hand being that the game in in NY. On a side note, glad to hear that Thierry Henry appears headed to the Red Bulls. Hope the MLS can add a few other aging stars like him.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jul 12 2010, 05:58 PM) [snapback]596404[/snapback]
I know the U.S. team is playing Brazil in August or something in NY I believe

I saw Brazil play Venezuela at Gillette a couple of years ago. The atmosphere was tremendous. Even though it was only a friendly, the Brazilian fans were really into the match. Unfortunately, Brazil lost, but the build-up to the game was unforgettable.

Borisblue

QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ Jul 12 2010, 02:22 PM) [snapback]596303[/snapback]
Why is it only every 4 years? Why not every year a championship tournament?

Each continent I believe has an annual club championship- the most prestigious of those is the UEFA champions League. Intear Milan of Italy are the current European champions. (Wesley Sneijder is on that team)

There is a World Club Championship, composed of the African, European, Asian, Oceania, CONACAF and South American champions, but it is not a very well-regarded or intereting tournament because the Euro champion is typically so much better than the other champions.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
Honestly, I'm not sure that the World Cup really is the best display of soccer. The teams don't get to train together much, and they're often tentative, especially in the later stages of the tournament. Probably the best soccer comes out of the Champions League, especially in the knockout rounds. Also, even though they don't usually involve the world's best players, relegation battles generally produce tremendous matches. Then there's the promotion playoffs in England and the promotion-relegation playoffs in Holland--those games are very intense.

Sometimes a run-of-the-mill league match can be fantastic. Last season, West Ham went up 5-0 at home to Burnley, only to surrender three goals and hang on to win 5-3. Thrilling stuff.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
World Cup television viewership rose 41 percent over four years ago for English-language telecasts in the United States, with Spain's 1-0 overtime victory over the Netherlands setting a record for a men's soccer game.

Sunday's game in Johannesburg, which gave the Spanish their first World Cup title, was seen by 15,545,000 viewers on ABC, according to fast national ratings. The previous high was 14,863,000 viewers for the United States' 2-1 overtime loss to Ghana in the second round on June 26.

An additional 8,821,000 million viewers watched Spanish-language coverage Sunday on Univision, according to Nielsen Media Research, bringing the total to nearly 24.4 million.

ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 averaged a 2.1 rating, 2,288,000 households and 3,261,000 viewers for the 64 World Cup games. The rating was up 31 percent from a 1.6 four years ago, while households increased 32 percent from 1,735,000 and viewers rose from 2,316,000.

The increases had been higher while the U.S. remained in the tournament. Through the first 50 games, the rating was up 48 percent, households increased 54 percent and viewers rose 60 percent.

sous vide

QUOTE(RSF @ Jul 13 2010, 10:41 AM) [snapback]596644[/snapback]
World Cup television viewership rose 41 percent over four years ago for English-language telecasts in the United States, with Spain's 1-0 overtime victory over the Netherlands setting a record for a men's soccer game.

Sunday's game in Johannesburg, which gave the Spanish their first World Cup title, was seen by 15,545,000 viewers on ABC, according to fast national ratings. The previous high was 14,863,000 viewers for the United States' 2-1 overtime loss to Ghana in the second round on June 26.

An additional 8,821,000 million viewers watched Spanish-language coverage Sunday on Univision, according to Nielsen Media Research, bringing the total to nearly 24.4 million.

ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 averaged a 2.1 rating, 2,288,000 households and 3,261,000 viewers for the 64 World Cup games. The rating was up 31 percent from a 1.6 four years ago, while households increased 32 percent from 1,735,000 and viewers rose from 2,316,000.

The increases had been higher while the U.S. remained in the tournament. Through the first 50 games, the rating was up 48 percent, households increased 54 percent and viewers rose 60 percent.

Now that it's over, I say this: "THE WORLD CUP IS LIKE HITLER. HITLER."

"HITLER. HITLER HITLER."

"ADOLF HITLER."

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Jul 13 2010, 09:12 AM) [snapback]596647[/snapback]

"HITLER. HITLER HITLER."

"ADOLF HITLER."

With the next tournament scheduled for Brazil, where most of the host cities are only one hour ahead of EDT, the possibility of some prime-time telecasts could boost ratings again. South Africa is six hours ahead of EDT.

FIFA has not yet set 2014 game times.

And looking ahead, the 2022 tournament could be in the United States. FIFA's executive committee will vote Dec. 2 on the 2018 and '22 sites, and while the first is expected to go to a European nation, the U.S. is favored for 2022.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(RSF @ Jul 13 2010, 10:11 AM) [snapback]596644[/snapback]

We really blew an opportunity to put soccer on the map in a serious way in this country. Still, the numbers are good news.

I watched the final on Univision. MUCH better in Spanish than in English with the ghost of Martin Tyler commenting.

sous vide

QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 13 2010, 10:44 AM) [snapback]596650[/snapback]
We really blew an opportunity to put soccer on the map in a serious way in this country. Still, the numbers are good news.

I watched the final on Univision. MUCH better in Spanish than in English with the ghost of Martin Tyler commenting.

HITLER.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 13 2010, 09:14 AM) [snapback]596650[/snapback]

DirecTV had a special ESPN channel which was broadcasting a lot of games in multiple languages - German, Portugese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(RSF @ Jul 13 2010, 10:18 AM) [snapback]596657[/snapback]
DirecTV had a special ESPN channel which was broadcasting a lot of games in multiple languages - German, Portugese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic.

I didn't know that. I have Dish, but I watched the final on DirecTV at a friend's house. We should have tried Korean.

TCURiggs

QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 13 2010, 05:21 PM) [snapback]596844[/snapback]
I didn't know that. I have Dish, but I watched the final on DirecTV at a friend's house. We should have tried Korean.

I tried Korean once back in college...you would have LOVED it!

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(NewfoundlandFrog @ Jul 13 2010, 10:12 AM) [snapback]596647[/snapback]

"HITLER. HITLER HITLER."

"ADOLF HITLER."

Are you Glenn Beck? What is your problem?

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 13 2010, 01:57 PM) [snapback]596929[/snapback]
Are you Glenn Beck? What is your problem?

he's trying to get Godwin's Law invoked.

You'd think he'd know who he was dealing with...... :biggrin:

TCUFrogs

ESPN Deportes broadcast the games in Portugese, instead of Spanish. What's up with that?? I'ts a Spanish channel!

The preview shows were in Spanish (one guy was Argentinian), and then it was announced in Portugese!!

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ Jul 13 2010, 02:05 PM) [snapback]596934[/snapback]
ESPN Deportes broadcast the games in Porgugese, instead of Spanish. What's up with that?? I'ts a Spanish channel!

Univision had the US television rights to the Spanish language broadcasts. And paid a truck load of money ($325 million vs $100 million ESPN Englsh language deal) to do so.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(RSF @ Jul 13 2010, 02:07 PM) [snapback]596937[/snapback]
Univision had the US television rights to the Spanish language broadcasts. And paid a truck load of money ($325 million vs $100 million ESPN Englsh language deal) to do so.

Well, the cameras and view were MUCH better with the ESPN Deportes compared to the Univision. Just can't follow Portugese. The regular ESPN was fairly meek as far as commentators.

TCUFrogs

So, I know someone (from Argentina) who watched on ESPN Deportes and listened on radio. Apparently, the commentary is a big part of the "experience" for South American fans...

I'm just learning about it.