• The KillerFrogs

OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD

FROGDADDY

......guess it's about time to start this. How many pages do we need to beat the last one? Anybody want to get started with some predictions and commentary on all the injured stars?

If I had to put money on one team I guess I'd go with Brazil. Would love to see an African side make a run and also think that Netherlands could do some damage. My other prediction is teams like Italy, Germany, and France flaming out early.

geefrogs

Me and 7 of my friends did a Fantasy World Cup draft this year so you know I am all about the World Cup thread. (I got Argentina, Nigeria, Ghana, and Slovakia) Looking forward to watching the opening match Friday between RSA and Mexico, curious to see if the host country can get out of their group.

The Dutch look like they are going to be without Robben, big blow. Portugal will not have Nani playing either. The Spanish are my favorites even though several of their players are walking-wounded. Sad to see Didier Drogba go out with a broken arm, when I went out for the Fiesta Bowl, I also made a day trip up to Vegas and put down a Futures-bet on Ivory Coast. That doesnt look so good anymore.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(geefrogs @ Jun 9 2010, 01:12 PM) [snapback]572559[/snapback]
Me and 7 of my friends did a Fantasy World Cup draft this year so you know I am all about the World Cup thread. (I got Argentina, Nigeria, Ghana, and Slovakia) Looking forward to watching the opening match Friday between RSA and Mexico, curious to see if the host country can get out of their group.

The Dutch look like they are going to be without Robben, big blow. Portugal will not have Nani playing either. The Spanish are my favorites even though several of their players are walking-wounded. Sad to see Didier Drogba go out with a broken arm, when I went out for the Fiesta Bowl, I also made a day trip up to Vegas and put down a Futures-bet on Ivory Coast. That doesnt look so good anymore.

Yep. Ivory Coast could have been dangerous. What a legend he could become if he were to play well anyway and lead the team deep into the tourney. Something tells me that Mexico could be dangerous too.

geefrogs

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Jun 9 2010, 12:15 PM) [snapback]572562[/snapback]
Soccer is boring.

The end.
It's like hockey without the fights and football without the hits.

you, my friend, are missing out. When the World Cup returns to the States in 8 years, go to a match, any match and your life will be changed for the better. I saw Saudi Arabia play Sweden at the Cotton Bowl in 1994 and it was one of the best sporting events I went to, nothing like it.

Houston Frog

I'm just trying to decide whether to bring my vast soccer knowledge to this thread, or one of the other 4 threads currently talking about soccer/the World Cup

geefrogs

I think Group A (Mexico, RSA, Uruguay, France) and Group D (Germany, Ghana, Australia, Serbia) are the deepest and the most unpredictable groups in this year's WC.

Here is who I see getting out of the group stages.

A
France
Mexico
B
Argentina
Nigeria
C
England
USA
D
Germany
Ghana
E
Dutch
Cameroon
F
Italy
Slovakia
G
Brazil
Ivory Coast
H
Spain
Chile

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Jun 9 2010, 01:18 PM) [snapback]572569[/snapback]
I'm just trying to decide whether to bring my vast soccer knowledge to this thread, or one of the other 4 threads currently talking about soccer/the World Cup

Isn't it clear that this is the OFFICIAL thread of the world cup??? :biggrin:

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 9 2010, 01:04 PM) [snapback]572542[/snapback]
......guess it's about time to start this. How many pages do we need to beat the last one? Anybody want to get started with some predictions and commentary on all the injured stars?

If I had to put money on one team I guess I'd go with Brazil. Would love to see an African side make a run and also think that Netherlands could do some damage. My other prediction is teams like Italy, Germany, and France flaming out early.

Move this to The Generally Bored.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Jun 9 2010, 01:28 PM) [snapback]572589[/snapback]
A few scores:

0-0
0-0
1-0
0-1
0-0
0-0
1-0
1-0
0-0

:laugh:

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(geefrogs @ Jun 9 2010, 01:24 PM) [snapback]572576[/snapback]
I think Group A (Mexico, RSA, Uruguay, France) and Group D (Germany, Ghana, Australia, Serbia) are the deepest and the most unpredictable groups in this year's WC.

Here is who I see getting out of the group stages.

A
France
Mexico
B
Argentina
Nigeria
C
England
USA
D
Germany
Ghana
E
Dutch
Cameroon
F
Italy
Slovakia
G
Brazil
Ivory Coast
H
Spain
Chile

No Portugal?

geefrogs

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 9 2010, 01:32 PM) [snapback]572594[/snapback]
No Portugal?

They struggled just to get into the World Cup final, they had to win a playoff and they did it without C-Ron. Not sure they have the team chemistry to get through that tough group and now without Nani, who knows.

Its a tough group though, that Portugal/Ivory Coast matchup is going to be epic.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(geefrogs @ Jun 9 2010, 01:38 PM) [snapback]572603[/snapback]
They struggled just to get into the World Cup final, they had to win a playoff and they did it without C-Ron. Not sure they have the team chemistry to get through that tough group and now without Nani, who knows.

Its a tough group though, that Portugal/Ivory Coast matchup is going to be epic.

Hope you're right about Ivory Coast. The longer an African side stays in the better IMO.

geefrogs

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 9 2010, 01:40 PM) [snapback]572606[/snapback]
Hope you're right about Ivory Coast. The longer an African side stays in the better IMO.

I would have hoped Ghana could have gone far but they will be without Chelsea star Michael Essien.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(geefrogs @ Jun 9 2010, 02:04 PM) [snapback]572642[/snapback]
I would have hoped Ghana could have gone far but they will be without Chelsea star Michael Essien.

Yep. Too bad. Seems like everybody has an injury. Onyewu, Nani, Essien, Altidore, Rooney, Ballack, Robben.............

toad horny

My wife bought me the "official" German away jersey - just got it today. I wish Ballack (and on another note, Enke) were playing. Don't think the Germans will get too far this time around.

Trelvis

I have a World Cup Bracket and World Cup Fantasy group going for me and some of my friends. If anyeone is interested in getting down on either one, let me know and I can send an invite.