• The KillerFrogs

OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ Jul 13 2010, 02:12 PM) [snapback]596942[/snapback]
Well, the cameras and view were MUCH better with the ESPN Deportes compared to the Univision. Just can't follow Portugese. The regular ESPN was fairly meek as far as commentators.

that's the English style - all the ESPN play-by-play announcers were UK imports. Much more understated than the Spanish 'GOOOOOOOOOOLLLL' announcers.

And all the channels use the same cameras - FIFA has a single pool feed they control.

TCUFrogs

QUOTE(RSF @ Jul 13 2010, 02:18 PM) [snapback]596945[/snapback]
And all the channels use the same cameras - FIFA has a single pool feed they control.

Ok, but it appeared like it looked different on the TV screen by comparison for each channel. Is that the different channels or my imagination?

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(TCUFrogs @ Jul 13 2010, 03:24 PM) [snapback]596950[/snapback]
Ok, but it appeared like it looked different on the TV screen by comparison for each channel. Is that the different channels or my imagination?

The Univision HD feed was slightly less crisp than the ESPN feed, but the excitement of hearing the game in Spanish easily made up for that.

sous vide

hitler?

or...

1501011.jpg

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jul 13 2010, 03:47 PM) [snapback]596974[/snapback]
It should all be the same international feed.

It is, but broadcasters have different levels of HD, right? Some are better than others? The picture looked slightly more crisp on ABC than it did on Univision, even though the camera angles and such were the same.

Trelvis

QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 13 2010, 03:27 PM) [snapback]596994[/snapback]
It is, but broadcasters have different levels of HD, right?

Yes. I believe so. I know alot of times you can see differences between ESPN, CBS, Fox Sports SW, etc..It could also vary between providers also I think, not sure though...

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jul 13 2010, 05:03 PM) [snapback]597025[/snapback]
Yes. I believe so. I know alot of times you can see differences between ESPN, CBS, Fox Sports SW, etc..It could also vary between providers also I think, not sure though...

Yeah, it can vary by provider. I have to say that with all that I don't like about Dish, the HD quality is very good. ESPN tends to have the clearest HD of any channel for me. Of course, I only watch about five channels regularly...

Mike Brooks

Wonder if Germany looks at their game wih Spain similar to haow we look at our game with BSU. Clearly they departed from their style much like we did. I found it interesting. Sure the BSU WAS BETTER crowd will wade in now in their tiresome way.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(froglicious @ Jul 13 2010, 06:25 PM) [snapback]597063[/snapback]
Wonder if Germany looks at their game wih Spain similar to haow we look at our game with BSU. Clearly they departed from their style much like we did. I found it interesting. Sure the BSU WAS BETTER crowd will wade in now in their tiresome way.

The Dutch arguably did the same thing against Spain by playing dirty. The Spanish make it hard for opponents to do anything because they focus on possession and precision passing. That can take even the best sides out of their games. I think that's what happened to the Germans. They wanted to play the counter, but there was no counter because Spain never surrender the ball. Yeah, Germany did remind me a bit of us in the Fiesta Bowl.

I'd say that the difference between us and the Germans was desire. I don't think that our players (or the BSU players) really wanted to be in the Fiesta bowl playing a non-BCS opponent. The Germans clearly wanted to win; they just got frustrated.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Here's another reason why soccer has a tough time gaining traction in the US.

Watched the episode of The Daily Show where Jon Stewart interviewed Coach Bob Bradley and Landon Donovan.

It doesn't help when your top player and coach are 2 of the most mind-numbingly boring people on the planet.

micahjh

Thierry Henry, just signed with MLS New York Red Bulls, due to frustration on his minutes in Barcelona. The MLS is becoming the place for aging stars to come twilight. Not too shabby.

Mike Brooks

QUOTE(Tio Rana @ Jul 14 2010, 10:05 AM) [snapback]597302[/snapback]
<br />Thierry Henry, just signed with MLS New York Red Bulls, due to frustration on his minutes in Barcelona. The MLS is becoming the place for aging stars to come twilight. Not too shabby.<br />

Never should have left Arsenal. Regarding the previous post on Donovan, our best player, what kid looks at him and thinks I WANT TO BE HIM? Would he excel at any other sport? Those are the types that soccor attracts in the US. We will never get there. Love Fox Soccer Channel as a result.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(froglicious @ Jul 14 2010, 01:42 PM) [snapback]597362[/snapback]
Never should have left Arsenal. Regarding the previous post on Donovan, our best player, what kid looks at him and thinks I WANT TO BE HIM?

He's pretty short on personality. Not all American soccer players are, though. Eric Wynalda can be very funny. Of course, he retired years ago.

Trelvis

QUOTE(froglicious @ Jul 14 2010, 12:42 PM) [snapback]597362[/snapback]
Love Fox Soccer Channel

Me too! Just wish Charter would pick up the HD version.

Nothing better than fox soccer channel on Saturday and Sunday when the EPL and Serie A is going on.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(froglicious @ Jul 14 2010, 12:42 PM) [snapback]597362[/snapback]
We will never get there. Love Fox Soccer Channel as a result.

We're WAY closer to getting there than we used to be.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jul 14 2010, 11:38 PM) [snapback]597648[/snapback]
We're WAY closer to getting there than we used to be.

We've made enormous strides in the last 20 years, not to mention the last 30. We've gone from a joke to one of the top 15-20 sides in the world. Huge accomplishment.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jul 14 2010, 10:17 PM) [snapback]597631[/snapback]
Me too! Just wish Charter would pick up the HD version.

Does anybody have FSC in HD? I don't know of any carriers up here that do.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 14 2010, 11:01 PM) [snapback]597653[/snapback]
We've made enormous strides in the last 20 years, not to mention the last 30. We've gone from a joke to one of the top 15-20 sides in the world. Huge accomplishment.

Not to mention the wall to wall coverage of the World Cup on ESPN. I can remember when the only was to see the vast majority of the games was to watch them on Univision. I actaully prefer that sometimes.

We actually had USA World Cup games outdrawing NBA finals games this year.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jul 14 2010, 11:02 PM) [snapback]597655[/snapback]
Does anybody have FSC in HD? I don't know of any carriers up here that do.

I believe DTV does, but I wouldn't swear to it. Haven't watched it much recently.