• The KillerFrogs

OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(crunch @ Jun 10 2010, 12:00 AM) [snapback]573233[/snapback]
This could be the start of soccer becoming popular in America!

Already missed that train. Just look at how much more popular it is now than it was four years ago. We've got almost hourly updates on ESPN about the cup, we've got the US players in commercials, we've got EPL games on major TV networks..........heck, the guy down the street from me was mowing his yard two days ago in a Demarcus Beasley jersey. Beasley? Really?

Trelvis

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 10 2010, 02:53 PM) [snapback]573429[/snapback]
Already missed that train. Just look at how much more popular it is now than it was four years ago. We've got almost hourly updates on ESPN about the cup, we've got the US players in commercials, we've got EPL games on major TV networks..........heck, the guy down the street from me was mowing his yard two days ago in a Demarcus Beasley jersey. Beasley? Really?

Yup, its been growing, here are some numbers from the NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/sports/s...08sandomir.html

“If you ranked World Cup viewing by countries going back to 1998, the U.S. ranked 23rd,” said Kevin Alavy, director of Initiative Sports Futures, a London-based analysis firm. “In 2002, the U.S. jumped to 13th, and in 2006, it jumped again to 8th place. And we expect America to keep on jumping.”

In 2006, the ESPN-ESPN2-ABC broadcasts of the World Cup reached 70.2 million viewers while Univision reached 29.5 million, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Also, prepared to be engulfed by World Cup Coverage. I posted this on my blog today,

“ESPN has lined up 166 hours of re-aired World Cup matches that will be shown on ESPN Classic and ESPN2. All 64 games will be re-aired generally between 6pm to midnight ET each day. In addition to all of the World Cup games and re-aired games, expect to see a gigantic amount of World Cup features, news, documentaries and analysis on the ESPN family of networks.”

Plus the games are going to be on National ESPN Radio and Sirius Radio. Its going to be everywhere.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 10 2010, 09:53 AM) [snapback]573429[/snapback]

Your neighbor must be really skinny. :biggrin:

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jun 10 2010, 10:16 AM) [snapback]573479[/snapback]
ESPN Radio and Sirius Radio. Its going to be everywhere.

The one I found interesting is what I saw on my Directv program guide.

A lot of sporting events these day are being simulcast on a TVs SAP channel. But it looks like ESPN is taking that to the next level with the SA/Mexico opener. They'll be simulcasting the game in Spanish, German, Portuguese, Arabic, Japanese and Korean.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jun 10 2010, 11:16 AM) [snapback]573479[/snapback]
Yup, its been growing, here are some numbers from the NY Times

I read last year in Sports Business Journal (paid subscription only, unfortunately, so no link) that some of the bigger Premiership games on Fox Soccer Channel actually beat 11am and noon Big 10 football games on ESPN in terms of TV ratings. Considering the fact that FSC still doesn't reach a lot of homes, that's pretty impressive. ESPN made a major play for the rights to Prem matches in England and has started broadcasting them here as well. With ESPN, FSC, FSC Plus and Gol TV, we get more international soccer here than I got when I lived in France and more than most people in the UK get.

micahjh

Its a big deal that this WC, every single solitary game will be televised in the US on either ESPN/ESPN2, or ABC. That right there tells you all you need to know about the popularity of the tournament here in the US.

Good point about team USA not overlooking Slovenia. Hopefully, 2002 taught us the lesson about highly organized and physical teams from Eastern Europe, when Poland spanked us in group play. Slovenia does have that look about them. I think England are vastly overrated, and I think team USA can win on Saturday, putting us in the drivers seat for the group. You cant understate the loss of Ferdinand for England. Their skipper called it a "hammer blow". He is their team captain and one of the best central defenders on the planet. The last place in the world you want have a new comer step in, is central defence. Especially when you are accustomed to having the quality of Ferdinand back there. England are still the favorites for the group without Ferdinand, but I think are highly vunerable now, to the upset by the US.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(Tio Rana @ Jun 10 2010, 11:46 AM) [snapback]573563[/snapback]
You cant understate the loss of Ferdinand for England.

It is a huge loss, but Ledley King should be a competent replacement if he's healthy. The best chance the US has to win is probably to get under Rooney's skin and try to get him cautioned or even sent off. Neutralize him, and the match-up looks more even. He has matured since 2006, though. I'd like to see the US get lots of pressure on whichever English keeper starts. None of England's keepers is particularly good, and all are prone to huge errors. Set pieces will be extremely important--David James is known as "Calamity" for a reason, and Rob Green (West Ham's keeper, so I've seen a lot of him) freaks out during corners and is prone to coming way too far off of his line.

Man Faced Ox Progeny

My starting 11 for Saturday:

Howard

Cherundulo, Gooch, Demerit, Bocanegra

Dempsey, Bradley, Torres, Donovan

Altidore, Findley

This is assuming Altidore is 100%. If he is not, look for Buddle up top. I think Bradley might start Edu and bring Torres of the bench. I hope not - I think Torres will have a great tournament.

Subs - Herculez if we need goals. Holden might come on for a forward if we are up late.

I am going to be in Fort Worth this weekend, where is the best spot to watch USA v. England and other WC soccer?

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Tio Rana @ Jun 10 2010, 10:46 AM) [snapback]573563[/snapback]
Good point about team USA not overlooking Slovenia. Hopefully, 2002 taught us the lesson about highly organized and physical teams from Eastern Europe, when Poland spanked us in group play. Slovenia does have that look about them.

Worth noting that we won in Poland in 2008, 3-0.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 10 2010, 12:22 PM) [snapback]573783[/snapback]
I heard the World Cup teams are joining the Pac 10.

Not all of them, hearing rumors that North Korea is headed to the MWC.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 10 2010, 12:23 PM) [snapback]573792[/snapback]
Not all of them, hearing rumors that North Korea is headed to the MWC.

Would rather have a country with mountains. Be sure they don't have a blue turf.

FROGDADDY

Just read on ESPN that the Brazilian referee and his assistants that are doing the USA vs England match have been studying the cuss words of the English language so they can determine when/if the players are insulting them. Funny.

geefrogs

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 10 2010, 09:00 PM) [snapback]574546[/snapback]
Good news for Ivory Coast. Appears Drogba may be ready to go.

my Vegas bet is STILL in reach!

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 10 2010, 10:00 PM) [snapback]574546[/snapback]
Good news for Ivory Coast. Appears Drogba may be ready to go.

Wow...changes their fortunes completely.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 09:31 PM) [snapback]574565[/snapback]
Wow...changes their fortunes completely.

The article that I read stressed that he MAY be ready. He has rejoined the team and that in itself is good news for them. Hope he's good to go.

frogsuit

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 11 2010, 03:20 AM) [snapback]574609[/snapback]
The article that I read stressed that he MAY be ready. He has rejoined the team and that in itself is good news for them. Hope he's good to go.

I sure hope so. I hate Chelski, but I love watching DD play. He is a gamechanger, and a HUGE difference-maker for one of the African continental teams making a move in this tourney.

As far as USA/England goes, I'm as red-blooded of an American Outlaw as there is, but they are basically playing Spurs Lite....which really tears at my allegiances. I'd love to see a 5-4 USA victory w/ goals from Defoe, Crouch, and Lennon (although 5 goals against would suggest King and/or Dawson probably get torched if they see the pitch). GO USA! COYS!

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(frogsuit @ Jun 10 2010, 10:42 PM) [snapback]574629[/snapback]
(although 5 goals against would suggest King and/or Dawson probably get torched if they see the pitch). GO USA! COYS!

Maybe James just kicks the ball into his own net 5 times. That wouldn't surprise anybody would it?

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(frogsuit @ Jun 10 2010, 11:42 PM) [snapback]574629[/snapback]
As far as USA/England goes, I'm as red-blooded of an American Outlaw as there is, but they are basically playing Spurs Lite....

Actually, they're playing a bunch of graduates of the West Ham Academy (even without Rio, who is another one), none of whom plays for West Ham anymore, of course. Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Jermain Defoe and Glen Johnson are all Academy graduates and former Hammers. David James is also a former (and possibly future) Hammer, and Matthew Upson and Rob Green play for West Ham now. That's eight players of a 23-man squad with West Ham ties...not bad. It does make me wonder which side I should support... COYI!