• The KillerFrogs

OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Tio Rana @ Jun 9 2010, 03:28 PM) [snapback]572729[/snapback]
I think now is the time where we see the future of team USA step up. Think Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, and Jose Torres. I am really pulling for Dempsey and Torres, given that they have east texas roots real close to home for me. On defense Howard is still as good a keeper as you could ask for, and Gooch is a big time talent. If he buckles down then there shouldnt be too many problems at the back.

I'm not exactly Kevin Keegan, but I've really been impressed by Torres in the little amount of time I've seen him play. Anybody think he could be the Claudio Reyna replacement the Nats have been looking for?

VictoryLap

Got my Altidore # 17 away jersey in the mail last week. I am torn now after Buddle's performance against Austrailia- he looks hot right now and could really make an impact. I think we will see either Altidore or Buddle starting, as they play the same type of game- holding forward. I think Findley will start alongside one of these two because of his pace and ability to stretch the field. Gomez will be the super sub for Findley (he tends to fade in the second half).

VictoryLap

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 9 2010, 04:07 PM) [snapback]572773[/snapback]
I'm not exactly Kevin Keegan, but I've really been impressed by Torres in the little amount of time I've seen him play. Anybody think he could be the Claudio Reyna replacement the Nats have been looking for?

I really, really like Torres. He can keep possession and create in the midfield better than Edu or Clark, but Bradley likes these guys because of their defense. I hope Bradley opts to give Torres a lot of minutes in SA, because he can be a difference maker.

Trelvis

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 9 2010, 08:19 PM) [snapback]572721[/snapback]
Saw where the US born Rossi didn't make the squad.

Serves him right, he could have been a star for the U.S. side.

I am really high on Altidore. I think him and Dempsey will have a good World Cup, at least the U.S. needs them to play good if they want to have any chance. Did yall know that Dempsey is a Texan? Born in Nacadoches and lived in Dallas for a little while I think.

If anyone cares, ESPN Classic is airing the 1994 World Cup game of US vs. Columbia. The infamous (and eventually sad) own goal by Columbia.

And really ugly US jerseys, too! I think this year's jerseys are the best they've had - inspired by the 1950 team's jerseys.

LVfrog

I think Buddle is going to be a key player because he plays off Donovan and Altidore better than Findlay and Gomez IMO. Our chances ultimately could depend on how Gooch plays and if the injuries have really taken their toll. We don't have enough depth on our defense to make a serious run if Gooch isn't completely healthy.

micahjh

QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jun 9 2010, 07:48 PM) [snapback]572956[/snapback]
Serves him right, he could have been a star for the U.S. side.

I am really high on Altidore. I think him and Dempsey will have a good World Cup, at least the U.S. needs them to play good if they want to have any chance. Did yall know that Dempsey is a Texan? Born in Nacadoches and lived in Dallas for a little while I think.

and Torres grew up in Longview, TX. Then moved to Mexico to play professionally at a young age.

Longfrog

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 9 2010, 02:19 PM) [snapback]572720[/snapback]
I'll be really disappointed if the US doesn't make it out of the group stage. they ought to be able to handle Slovenia and Algeria, so in my mind the England game is for seeding (I hope). I'd be a lot more confident if Davies had come back from his injuries (it's amazing he even came close), but Findley has showed that maybe he can contribute off the bench. The defense has been shaky, though, and that's a concern.

For some reason, Slovenia worries me. I don't know why since I don't know anything about them. They just seem like they will be one of those organized European sides that will frustrate us and then expose our iffy defense a time or two. Plus they get England in the last group game, which is a huge advantage if they (England) already have their position secured.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
Given that no European nation has won the World Cup outside of Europe, I'm tempted to jump on the bandwagon and pick Brazil in South Africa. But this Brazil side is not exceptional--the forwards aren't the best in the world anymore, for starters.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
Whoa, weird, managed to post twice without knowing I had posted once. Anyway, I would love for Argentina to win the whole thing because I love Diego, but he's a total crackpot as a manager. The talent is there in that side, but he'll find a way to ruin everything. Spain are probably the best of the lot, and I admire Del Bosque quite a bit as a manager. The Spanish have a habit of bottling it in big tournaments, but they did break through in Euro 2008. That should help their confidence.

I'll be supporting Holland as always, but my pick to win it is........ England. Seriously. The biggest weakness there is goalkeeping, but even with Rio out the rest of that side is really solid. Besides, there's not one but TWO West Ham players in the England side (and multiple academy grads). That alone should guarantee victory. :biggrin:

A few other predictions guaranteed to be wrong:

US loses to England (probably 3-1), draws with Algeria and loses to Slovenia. I'll absolutely be supporting our guys, but we're going to leak goals big time, and we don't have the firepower to keep up. Sad but true.

France won't get out of the first round. South Africa will from that group.

The Germans will make the semifinals somehow.

Argentina will implode and go out in the second round.

Netherlands will lose on penalties in the later stages.

Italy will get at least to the quarters scoring a grand total of three goals (or fewer).

England will win it! England, Ingerland, Ingerland...

Trelvis

I think Argentina will take it all. Especially if the rumors are true that they will start 3 strikers with Messi, Tevez, and Higuain. I have an Argentina/England final.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(Trelvis @ Jun 9 2010, 11:38 PM) [snapback]573150[/snapback]
I have an Argentina/England final.

That would be epic. Truly epic. But Diego is crazy--I'm not sure he'll be able to hold his squad together. They do have immense talent, though. And little Carlitos Tevez...well, all West Ham supporters still love him. :biggrin:

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(Boston Frog @ Jun 9 2010, 10:07 PM) [snapback]573103[/snapback]
US loses to England (probably 3-1), draws with Algeria and loses to Slovenia. I'll absolutely be supporting our guys, but we're going to leak goals big time, and we don't have the firepower to keep up. Sad but true.

May not have the firepower to keep up with England but plenty of firepower to keep up with the likes of Slovenia and Algeria. I think that Donovan has a huge tourney and leads the US into the quarters.

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Jun 9 2010, 02:28 PM) [snapback]572589[/snapback]
A few scores:

0-0
0-0
1-0
0-1
0-0
0-0
1-0
1-0
0-0

It just hit me. Soccer is scored in binary code.

Boston Frog (in Paris)

Still on the ledge
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 9 2010, 11:56 PM) [snapback]573178[/snapback]
May not have the firepower to keep up with England but plenty of firepower to keep up with the likes of Slovenia and Algeria. I think that Donovan has a huge tourney and leads the US into the quarters.

Watch out for Slovenia. Qualifying from Europe is very difficult. That's an underrated team. Donovan will have to be huge, and I'm afraid that I just don't have that much faith in him. The biggest problem, though, is that we're weak at the back and are going to leak goals. I also think that Buddle is going to get eaten alive at this level, although I do like this Gomez guy a lot. We should make it out of first round, but I'm predicting disappointment...are you surprised? :rolleyes:

QUOTE(Portland Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 02:54 AM) [snapback]573085[/snapback]
I think we need about 48 more pages to beat the 2006 official thread on the world cup.

P.S. watch out for Mexico.

Agree. Mexico is a serious dark horse. Their club teams have been great the last couple years - and did really well in friendlies against Euro teams last summer. Mexican players are starting to make noise in Europe. Only problem is, they got a tough draw. Opening against South Africa is tough. They are a better team, but the emotion of that game is going to be a challenge. If they survive that game, and sniff out a draw with France, they should advance.