• The KillerFrogs

OFFICIAL WORLD CUP THREAD

micahjh

The Spanish Armada, La Furia Roja, will cruise to its first ever World Cup victory. They have all the pieces and some to spare. I dont care who thinks Brazil is ranked #1 in the world, Spain is clearly the best national team on the planet. Actually, updated FIFA world rankings have Spain back ahead of Brazil at #1.

The path is not without danger though. Spains group will match up with the 2nd place team form the Group of Death. Which means that there first knockout round will be against either Portugal or Ivory Coast most likely, or even Brazil should they manage to slip into 2nd. After that they could face either Italy or Netherlands depending on how the cards fall.

Talk about an epic matchup in group G, how bout Brazil - Portugal? The #2 and # 5 ranked sides in the world will square off in group play. The two sister countries share the same language and the same passion-soccer. Ivory Coast without Drogba will struggle.

Team USA has a shot at beating England on Saturday, which would set them up nicely to win the group. England being without Ferdinand is an epic lucky break for the US. If we can win the group, then that would likely mean avoiding Germany in the first knockout round, which would be nice.

My darkhorse team is Argentina. I know the #8 seed is not a that big of a risk, but rarely is WC won by a true darkhorse. Argentina has the best footballer on the planet in Messi, but having that kook Maradonna as a manger could either be the lucky ticket or their downfall. There group should be a cakewalk and the knockout against either France or Mexico will be their first test. I think they handle either of those. #3 ranked Netherlands is my personal third favorite team behind US and Spain. The Oranje could hijack Spains run in the knockout stages.

All in all the biggest soprting event on the planet should be a fun ride.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Tio Rana @ Jun 9 2010, 02:45 PM) [snapback]572690[/snapback]
The Spanish Armada, La Furia Roja, will cruise to its first ever World Cup victory. They have all the pieces and some to spare. I dont care who thinks Brazil is ranked #1 in the world, Spain is clearly the best national team on the planet. Actually, updated FIFA world rankings have Spain back ahead of Brazil at #1.

The path is not without danger though. Spains group will match up with the 2nd place team form the Group of Death. Which means that there first knockout round will be against either Portugal or Ivory Coast most likely, or even Brazil should they manage to slip into 2nd. After that they could face either Italy or Netherlands depending on how the cards fall.

Talk about an epic matchup in group G, how bout Brazil - Portugal? The #2 and # 5 ranked sides in the world will square off in group play. The two sister countries share the same language and the same passion-soccer. Ivory Coast without Drogba will struggle.

Team USA has a shot at beating England on Saturday, which would set them up nicely to win the group. England being without Ferdinand is an epic lucky break for the US. If we can win the group, then that would likely mean avoiding Germany in the first knockout round, which would be nice.

My darkhorse team is Argentina. I know the #8 seed is not a that big of a risk, but rarely is WC won by a true darkhorse. Argentina has the best footballer on the planet in Messi, but having that kook Maradonna as a manger could either be the lucky ticket or their downfall. There group should be a cakewalk and the knockout against either France or Mexico will be their first test. I think they handle either of those. #3 ranked Netherlands is my personal third favorite team behind US and Spain. The Oranje could hijack Spains run in the knockout stages.

All in all the biggest soprting event on the planet should be a fun ride.

And this thread hasn't been moved to The Generally Bored why?

QUOTE(2314 @ Jun 9 2010, 02:48 PM) [snapback]572696[/snapback]

probably the same reason baseball and basketball threads aren't move either.

D

Daniel Plainview

QUOTE(NoSoccer4U @ Jun 9 2010, 02:29 PM) [snapback]572675[/snapback]
Hey look at me...not only do I play an asshat on TV I'm one in real life.

haha PWNED

corpuschristifrog

Sure didn't realize there was so much interest in the World Cup. Will still watch Frogs baseball over USA/England, but hope ya'll enjoy the tournament.

Heck, they even covered the infield at Whataburger Field with grass yesterday for a Houston Dynamo match tommorrow night! They will pull it up in time for the Hooks to play Sunday. I gave my seats to a friend so she could take her kid's soccer team.

D

Daniel Plainview

QUOTE(Forza Frogs @ Jun 9 2010, 02:53 PM) [snapback]572698[/snapback]
probably the same reason baseball and basketball threads aren't move either.

at least the baseball and basketball threads have somethin to do with TCU. With the exception of the ones where dummy's complain about the referees being unfair to the Mavs or the rangers.

micahjh

It was marginally funny the first time you said it. Now its just lame.

Here is a tip, when I see a thread title that references a topic I might not likely be interested in, I just avoid the thread entirely. If you think soccer is boring, then why even click on a World Cup thread? Do you like being bored?

geefrogs

this just in. its not all about you.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(geefrogs @ Jun 9 2010, 03:01 PM) [snapback]572708[/snapback]

This just in ---

[SIZE=36pt]TCU doesn't even have a freakin' men's soccer team[/SIZE]

I am making a citizen's arrest. I shall will this thread to The Generally Bored.

geefrogs

Havent heard much talk about the Italians having a chance to defend their crown. I guess most experts believe they are too old this go-round, but nobody really gave them much of a chance in 2006 either. They should win their group easily. After that, who knows what can happen?

FrogAbroad

QUOTE(geefrogs @ Jun 9 2010, 02:01 PM) [snapback]572708[/snapback]

Careful.

He might not be able to stand the shock of that revelation.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(2314 @ Jun 9 2010, 03:04 PM) [snapback]572711[/snapback]
This just in ---

[SIZE=36pt]TCU doesn't even have a freakin' men's soccer team[/SIZE]

I am making a citizen's arrest. I shall will this thread to The Generally Bored.

I like gdu more than you.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
So...some people don't like soccer here.

Shocking........

Anyways............

I'll be really disappointed if the US doesn't make it out of the group stage. they ought to be able to handle Slovenia and Algeria, so in my mind the England game is for seeding (I hope). I'd be a lot more confident if Davies had come back from his injuries (it's amazing he even came close), but Findley has showed that maybe he can contribute off the bench. The defense has been shaky, though, and that's a concern.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(geefrogs @ Jun 9 2010, 03:07 PM) [snapback]572712[/snapback]
Havent heard much talk about the Italians having a chance to defend their crown. I guess most experts believe they are too old this go-round, but nobody really gave them much of a chance in 2006 either. They should win their group easily. After that, who knows what can happen?

Don't think they make much noise beyond the group stage. Getting old and not replacing it with much young talent. Saw where the US born Rossi didn't make the squad.

micahjh

QUOTE(geefrogs @ Jun 9 2010, 03:07 PM) [snapback]572712[/snapback]

They still have a solid defense, one of the best defensive sides in the world. But the big question for Italy is, who is going to score goals? I read some article saying its the worst group of forwards Italy has fielded in at least 50 years, and maybe ever. They could still suprise though and I think they are still likley to advance to knockout stages.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 9 2010, 03:19 PM) [snapback]572720[/snapback]
So...some people don't like soccer here.
Shocking........
Anyways............
I'll be really disappointed if the US doesn't make it out of the group stage. they ought to be able to handle Slovenia and Algeria, so in my mind the England game is for seeding (I hope). I'd be a lot more confident if Davies had come back from his injuries (it's amazing he even came close), but Findley has showed that maybe he can contribute off the bench. The defense has been shaky, though, and that's a concern.

Think Buddle is the better option over Findley.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 9 2010, 03:20 PM) [snapback]572723[/snapback]
Think Buddle is the better option over Findley.

Buddle will start, but I think Findley gives them the speed off the bench that could be key late in games.

geefrogs

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 9 2010, 03:25 PM) [snapback]572724[/snapback]
Buddle will start, but I think Findley gives them something off the bench that could be key late in games.

Herculez Gomez will also get some PT as a sub, he has been scoring goals in bunches for his club team since he left the MLS for the Mexican League.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(RSF @ Jun 9 2010, 03:25 PM) [snapback]572724[/snapback]
Buddle will start, but I think Findley gives them something off the bench that could be key late in games.

Sure. Can't argue with what Gomez has contributed the last couple games either.

micahjh

I think now is the time where we see the future of team USA step up. Think Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, and Jose Torres. I am really pulling for Dempsey and Torres, given that they have east texas roots real close to home for me. On defense Howard is still as good a keeper as you could ask for, and Gooch is a big time talent. If he buckles down then there shouldnt be too many problems at the back.