• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

Wexahu

Said this elsewhere regarding Deion.. hire a clown, expect a circus

I feel like with him we either win 12 games or the program is left in complete disarray after 2 seasons
The chances of the latter are about 100x or more that of the former IMO.

Since when is a guy that has basically never coached at this level going to step in and just revolutionize the sport? It's a total insult to the profession to be honest. If that's all it takes, Auburn should just hire Bo Jackson, they'd be whipping Bama in no time. Is Reggie Bush going to be the next USC coach? Ray Lewis in Miami? We're assuming something that has more or less never worked is going to be this magical success story? It's completely nuts.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
Interesting lunch with some old suits. All of them part of the TCU herd. I now campaign for Napier as HC. Understand he soo impressed the committee that when the search conversation concluded, many of the committee had visions of greatness. He has coached with Dabo and Saban add top of the line P-5 schools and the resume shines. Told he is very organized with every little detail which becomes a big deal to him. A gentlemen with good communication skills. He charmed the women as well.
Let’s assume TCU can have Napier or Campbell, who would you rather have?

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
The chances of the latter are about 100x or more that of the former IMO.

Since when is a guy that has basically never coached at this level going to step in and just revolutionize the sport? It's a total insult to the profession to be honest. If that's all it takes, Auburn should just hire Bo Jackson, they'd be whipping Bama in no time. Is Reggie Bush going to be the next USC coach? Ray Lewis in Miami? We're assuming something that has more or less never worked is going to be this magical success story? It's completely nuts.
Bertrand Russell couldn’t have put it better

Wexahu

It's intriguing, like imagining going home with the hottest stripper at the club. Would undoubtedly result in some wild stories, maybe even some short-term greatness, but ultimately, serious buyer's remorse. When the rebuild started after the near-death experience, the common line was we wanted to be in the same mold as Miami of the 80s. He would probably/potentially do that, both the good bad and ugly.

I also keep thinking about the poetic speeches we heard during the good times, about how the football program is the "Font Porch of the University," or some such. Does anyone really want that joker as the face of TCU? I sure as heck don't. And before anyone goes RIMO on me, I reached that same conclusion about Gary a couple of few years ago too.
No, we wouldn't relive Miami of the 80's, in terms of success. Now you're equating Deion Sanders with Jimmy Johnson as a football coach? Batshit crazy. Those Miami teams were very well coached because they had a guy coaching them that was actually a football coach, one of the best of his era.

hiphopfroggy

Serious question: Let's say for a minute ADJD and all others involved lose their collective minds and hire Coach Sanders. How long do you think he'll hang around once the FSU job, which he already campaigned for 2 years ago, opens up which in case you haven't been paying attention could be anytime in the next several weeks and certainly won't be any later than the end of next season? Wrong time. Wrong place. Wrong guy.
We’ve already been through this line of thinking. Not hiring a coach because he will be too successful and have other suiters in the future is not a good reason to not hire somebody. If he chooses FSU over TCU so be it but still gotta try.

hiphopfroggy

No, we wouldn't relive Miami of the 80's, in terms of success. Now you're equating Deion Sanders with Jimmy Johnson as a football coach? Batshit crazy. Those Miami teams were very well coached because they had a guy coaching them that was actually a football coach, one of the best of his era.
Coach Sanders is a winning head football coach. An actual winning head football coach. To state otherwise is flatly incorrect.

Big Frog II

I would need to see more years under his coaching belt before I would hire Deion. He maybe the next greatest thing, but I feel the risk is too great since he has coached in college for less than two years.

Moose Stuff

Let’s assume TCU can have Napier or Campbell, who would you rather have?
If we’re assuming Campbell is bringing his whole staff with him and Napier probably isn’t then it wouldn’t take much to convince me that Napier with Kelly/Gonzales/Applewhite joining him might be the preferable option. Just choosing between the two all things considered equal give me Campbell.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

It's intriguing, like imagining going home with the hottest stripper at the club. Would undoubtedly result in some wild stories, maybe even some short-term greatness, but ultimately, serious buyer's remorse. When the rebuild started after the near-death experience, the common line was we wanted to be in the same mold as Miami of the 80s. He would probably/potentially do that, both the good bad and ugly.

I also keep thinking about the poetic speeches we heard during the good times, about how the football program is the "Font Porch of the University," or some such. Does anyone really want that joker as the face of TCU? I sure as heck don't. And before anyone goes RIMO on me, I reached that same conclusion about Gary a couple of few years ago too.
The football program is indeed the Front Porch. I know GP used that, but I can't remember who it was that said it first. It's been used for a long time. And the growth Universities have seen when their teams are good proves it.

And I agree with everything you wrote, but the last part. I was hoping that maybe GP would see the light coming into this year and make needed changes. Then hoped maybe they would tell him get it straight or next year is is last. I also hoped I could win the lottery and retire by 35.

bc puckett

We’ve already been through this line of thinking. Not hiring a coach because he will be too successful and have other suiters in the future is not a good reason to not hire somebody. If he chooses FSU over TCU so be it but still gotta try.
I wasn’t talking about how successful he may be in the future I was pointing out the fact that he could easily leave at anytime within the next year for the job he really wants. Not worth the time or trouble

Serious question: Let's say for a minute ADJD and all others involved lose their collective minds and hire Coach Sanders. How long do you think he'll hang around once the FSU job, which he already campaigned for 2 years ago, opens up which in case you haven't been paying attention could be anytime in the next several weeks and certainly won't be any later than the end of next season? Wrong time. Wrong place. Wrong guy.
I'm not so much worried about the FSU job. Their program is having some financial troubles and their facilities are really, really bad right now. I've been there a few times in the last couple of years for some business, and I was shocked at how far behind they are compared to the elite programs of the SEC, B10 and B12. FSU is a mess and it's a miracle that Jimbo won a championship there. That championship did not pay dividends for the football program.

That being said, there are about a hundred other reasons not to hire Sanders, any one of which should disqualify him.

kidkarr

If we’re assuming Campbell is bringing his whole staff with him and Napier probably isn’t then it wouldn’t take much to convince me that Napier with Kelly/Gonzales/Applewhite joining home might be the preferable option. Just choosing between the two all things considered equal give me Campbell.
I’m in this camp as well. We were frustrated at GP for not bettering his staff when the opportunity existed, so if Campbell is not gonna use this opportunity to do the same, that would be frustrating right out of the gate.

Mean Purple

I'm not so much worried about the FSU job. Their program is having some financial troubles and their facilities are really, really bad right now. I've been there a few times in the last couple of years for some business, and I was shocked at how far behind they are compared to the elite programs of the SEC, B10 and B12. FSU is a mess and it's a miracle that Jimbo won a championship there. That championship did not pay dividends for the football program.

That being said, there are about a hundred other reasons not to hire Sanders, any one of which should disqualify him.
Reminds me of a visit I had to UGA. Amazing how much Mark Richt won there considering. Much of what they have now has a lot to do with Richt putting in a lot of effort to get it. Smart talks about that a lot.

TCU Vagabond

When you have, say, your #2 or #3 favorite ready to sign and start and your #1 dragging his feet or delaying, you aren’t incentivized to wait because the risk is you’ll end up with none of them at the end of the day.

There are several candidates who have been interviewed, their vet and background is done, and there is high mutual interest… how long do you wait for something that could never happen down the road?

Regardless of what CJD has said publicly, they hope to have a candidate agree on a terms sheet and announced in the next 1-2 weeks if possible. The sooner, the better for recruiting and player/coach retention. That’s highly possible given the caliber of candidates and mutual interest already on the table.

Campbell will need to engage more actively to be considered, he knows that. He wants things his way, but TCU doesn’t have that luxury. If he wants the job, he needs to go and get it. This is the current open question.

Yes, there is a material difference between Dykes and Napier, mostly style, system, age, and approach. For example, want to retain certain coaches? You’d go Dykes and not Napier. TCU will just need to decide who they want, and who is the better short vs long term bet and what TCU wants right now.
Regarding the difference part, I meant more so difference in preference between the 2 amongst the TCU decision makers

How would making an announcement in the next 1-2 weeks work with a current HC?

HornyWartyToad

I don't presume to know whether he can be as successful as JJ (briefly)was at Miami. If you do know for sure he can't, your talents are wasted here, you should be schooling up the folks on the committee who are apparently giving him serious consideration.

What I DO know is, Jimmy wasn't succeeding at Miami because he was such a better coach than everyone else around him, he was succeeding because he was kicking everyone's ass in the state of Florida for some of the country's best recruits. Spurrier and Bowden both admitted exactly that, at the time.

Oh by the way, it didn't hurt that he inherited a National Championship team built by Howard Schnellenberger.

I think it's entirely possible Sanders could come in and be the best recruiter in the state of Texas. Do you not? Or do you just "know" that he's so bad at coaching that he could get superior talent and not be able to win with it?

TCUdirtbag

It certainly was in Tech circles. Both Kinsgbury and Wells attempted to hire McGuire, he was well liked and well known at Texas Tech. He literally fits word for word what Kirby Hocutt said he was looking for in a HC the day they fired Wells.

1) I obviously acknowledge Dykes had interest in the job and Tech had interest in Dykes....hence an interview. I'm just not sure why everyone on this board is completely convinced that Tech couldn't interview Dykes and pass, how is that not even a possibility you're willing to consider?

2) Where is the evidence or report that Tech wanted, offered and missed out on Dykes?

3) Why would anyone acknowledge that they were turned down by UTSA's HC but too embarrassed to say they were turned down by SMU's HC? My position has nothing to do with embarrassment and everything to do with facts, I state facts regardless of anything else.

4) I'm willing to acknowledge Tech offered and missed out on Dykes if someone wants to link to the report with the offer, I can link to the report with the offer Tech made Traylor and McGuire because I'm not just making crap up out of thin air or stating what I would like to have happened.

Lol dude. Your school has to hire a Baylor position coach. Tough times in Lubbock.