• The KillerFrogs

Official Coaching Search Thread….

CountryFrog

Let’s be honest… is it hard to imagine that there were HS coaches who didn’t like GP?
I think GP is very much a love him or hate him type of guy. Not a whole lot of middle ground.

And I do think that most probably love him (team struggles the last 4 years aside) but it shouldn't be shocking at all that there are some people on the other side of that spectrum.

TX_Krötenechse

I don’t know the details, just what I’ve read here and on other boards. Supposedly Samples Jr liked TCU as a recruit but Gary didn’t play ball the way that Samples Sr wanted. This is third hand at best and I don’t know the details.

But also worth noting that just like Moose said, GP could be a pretty difficult guy to get along with in recruiting terms for coaches. Plenty loved him but he definitely had his detractors.

Sangria Wine

I think GP is very much a love him or hate him type of guy. Not a whole lot of middle ground.

And I do think that most probably love him (team struggles the last 4 years aside) but it shouldn't be shocking at all that there are some people on the other side of that spectrum.
If Dykes doesn’t kick butt and take names I think you’ll hear a lot more from the folks who are on that other side. I genuinely believe the Gary Patterson supporters are the silent majority in this whole situation.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
I don’t know the details, just what I’ve read here and on other boards. Supposedly Samples Jr liked TCU as a recruit but Gary didn’t play ball the way that Samples Sr wanted. This is third hand at best and I don’t know the details.

But also worth noting that just like Moose said, GP could be a pretty difficult guy to get along with in recruiting terms for coaches. Plenty loved him but he definitely had his detractors.
Heard a group of 6A coaches in the Austin area expressing the same, subsequently we’ve not pulled many players from this area, SD is much more relational so hoping he can open some doors

fff91

I dont know the ins and outs of recruiting but it is curious to me how everyone touts TCU as a good job because of access to DFW talent, well a scan of our roster doesnt show a ton of DFW talent on our roster. Compared to earlier years it doesnt seem like we pull many local players and it has declined over the years, it seems.

If Dykes doesn’t kick butt and take names I think you’ll hear a lot more from the folks who are on that other side. I genuinely believe the Gary Patterson supporters are the silent majority in this whole situation.
I haven’t spoken to one person who did not think it was time for GP to go regardless of what they think of the Dykes hire. They all watched the games and knew it was over. I‘m sure those people are out there, but there is no way it is anything close to a majority of the fan base.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
I dont know the ins and outs of recruiting but it is curious to me how everyone touts TCU as a good job because of access to DFW talent, well a scan of our roster doesnt show a ton of DFW talent on our roster. Compared to earlier years it doesnt seem like we pull many local players and it has declined over the years, it seems.
Yep, way too many flame outs from random places far from DFW over the years. Also, not a high ratio of the Louisiana leftovers (no SEC offers) have panned out to be special.

Sangria Wine

Meh. Everybody always talks this up, but historically players don’t attend schools in very close proximity to their homes for a variety of reasons. And coaches have generally had lots of bad experiences when they do pull the hyper local players. There are tons of stories about the local kid’s old high school friends hanging around too much for anyone’s best interest when it does happen. Many of these kids thrive in large part because they get uprooted and given a chance to establish themselves in a brand new environment. Brings out the best in most people to get a fresh start on their own at that age.

y2kFrog

If I’m off the GP train, I don’t think there’s anybody left.

Moose Stuff

ANY coach we hire that doesn’t do well is gonna create a lot of negative commentary from the fan base. Anyone that was a “Gary supporter” at this point was part of the problem and should be completely ignored by anyone making decisions for our football program.

CountryFrog

There's a huge difference between being a "Gary Patterson supporter" and believing that Gary should continue as the HC here. I'm a huge Patterson supporter and always will be but there is always a time to move on to a new voice and that's where we are.

And bold prediction by the way that Dykes better have success. That is indeed how sports work.

Moose Stuff

TCU is a great job because of it’s access to DFW talent. That Gary was so unable to tap into that is exactly what I’m talking about when I say there were coaches that didn’t like him and it was time for him to go. You’re about to see a complete 180 if this new staff is made up of the guys people are speculating on right now. Will only further amplify how bad a job Gary was doing.

Tshirt Fan

And, on my ignored list. But this puts him in good company as Maniac is also.
What is this? A scheissing popularity contest with your ZTA sisters?
If so, then why post in this thread, which is meant for people to approve of Baylor coaches assaulting TCU fans?

Yeah, I am not always going to take the popular side. Replacing LHCGMFP with Dykes has all the feel of Jerry Jones and Tom Landry, with a big potential to bite TCU in the Orgeron. Hopefully we get lucky. But even better would be some good communication around this change.

Anyone can complain that everyone on twitter and facebook is an idiot, but that means the person complaining has a twitter and facebook account...so self-incriminating. At the end of the day, look around at the empty seats in the Carter. Empty as far as the eye can see. Where is the communication, the outreach, the acts that generate goodwill by TCU to the Metroplex? Why does that matter? Because for tiny TCU, at the end of the day, it's the T-Shirt fans who will fill those seats. /mic

Horned Frogs Crowd GIF by TCU Athletics