• The KillerFrogs

Offensive Coordinator candidiates

Eight

I’ve been accused of being contrarian so why not continue the trend...
1. why do we think a guy who’s in game play calling is absolutely terrible would benefit from bringing in his own guys?
2. Why do we think that a guy with as thin a resume as Cumbies would even be able to assemble a staff of any merit?

I keep bringing this up week after week but Cumbie got this job with not one ounce of play calling experience..Let that soak in!! NONE...We are legit P5 football program with hopes of a Natty title and we turned the offense over to a QB coach who’s pedigree was helping Boykin and being likable by QB recruits.... Blows me away that people are shocked we are struggling offensively..

why? don't know, but why hire a coach to run an offense if you don't trust him to hire a staff?

struggling offensively? as i continually pointed out in the game we a have senior linebacker who still can't read keys

seriously, two years ago the frogs linebackers were coached by a ga, no other p5 team had a position coached by a freaking ga.

the offensive line was coached by a ga for two years. think about that for a minute. for 2 years tcu had a ga coaching two positions because the head coach would not let friends go from his staff.

dan sharp needs to be working with receivers and he is coaching de's

this team has multiple areas that are not well coached right now and they have the same root cause.

Last edited:

Eight

I'm not going to disagree with your thoughts, they are for real. However, we have to give GP a little credit here, he thinks Sonny has a great future. Why not let him hire his offensive staff? We know that '14, '15 and '17 don't roll around often but it did happen on his watch. The number 1 reason we are struggling is that we don't have an offensive line as follows:

Beginning of the 2nd. quarter, we are moving the chains and up comes a 4th. and 1 so we send Sewo between left tackle and guard and he missed his hole and it was there but we are stopped for no gain.

Running play to the left between left tackle and guard with Anderson on a 3rd. and 1 and our left tackle (won't mention his name) but he's a big'un at 6'8" and 330 lbs. but he cannot take out the defensive end who makes the tackle for no gain, again.

It's repetitive, over and over and over. Solve the offensive line problems and we look a lot different. Final thought, Nick Saban could not win with this personnel (coaches included).

this line struggles to get any push and yet you have players who have been in the program for at least 3 years. s&c has been mentioned by some with injuries and i think it also is a part of the lack of explosion in the run game

4th. down

this line struggles to get any push and yet you have players who have been in the program for at least 3 years. s&c has been mentioned by some with injuries and i think it also is a part of the lack of explosion in the run game

Yes, no explosions but the reason is not the running backs but because there is no lane to run in. I refer to Aaron Greene and the way he use to hop, skip, and jump to make yardage but he had running lanes to be able to do that. He couldn't do squat running behind this offensive line.

Eight

Yes, no explosions but the reason is not the running backs but because there is no lane to run in. I refer to Aaron Greene and the way he use to hop, skip, and jump to make yardage but he had running lanes to be able to do that. He couldn't do squat running behind this offensive line.

i meant no explosion by the offensive linemen in short yardage

being able to max a great deal of weight does no good if you can't explode off into the opposing defensive linemen

I just saw OU run wildcat on 3rd and 1 to pick up a first down. Idiots. Lincoln Riley is a moron who doesn't understand football.
I'm not sure of your point. Alabama ran the wildcat earlier tonight and picked up a first down. The difference is those two teams have an OL that actually blocks whereas our team does not. If the OC keeps trying to run between the tackles, from the wildcat or otherwise in short yardage, when he should know that the center and two guards can't block a damn thing, then he deserves to get criticized.

CountryFrog

I'm not sure of your point. Alabama ran the wildcat earlier tonight and picked up a first down. The difference is those two teams have an OL that actually blocks whereas our team does not. If the OC keeps trying to run between the tackles, from the wildcat or otherwise in short yardage, when he should know that the center and two guards can't block a damn thing, then he deserves to get criticized.
The point is: when you have a good OL then it almost doesn't matter what formation you run out of, it's usually going to work. When you have a poor OL then it almost doesn't matter what formation you run out of, it's rarely going to work.

The coaching staff is certainly deserving of plenty of criticism this year but one of the dumber ideas I've seen kicked around here is that running wildcat is a dumb thing to do and Cumbie is an idiot for trying it. You can say that the interior of our OL isn't very good right now and you'd be right, but there's absolutely no way to run an offense without ever even attempting to run the ball up the middle. What formation we do it out of is the least of the problems.

The point is: when you have a good OL then it almost doesn't matter what formation you run out of, it's usually going to work. When you have a poor OL then it almost doesn't matter what formation you run out of, it's rarely going to work.

The coaching staff is certainly deserving of plenty of criticism this year but one of the dumber ideas I've seen kicked around here is that running wildcat is a dumb thing to do and Cumbie is an idiot for trying it. You can say that the interior of our OL isn't very good right now and you'd be right, but there's absolutely no way to run an offense without ever even attempting to run the ball up the middle. What formation we do it out of is the least of the problems.
You're arguing against things I didn't say. I confined my comment about the wildcat and running between the tackles to short yardage situations where the OC should know there is not going to be a push against a defense that has set itself up to stop that. I know they're not going to block it and so should he.

CountryFrog

You're arguing against things I didn't say. I confined my comment about the wildcat and running between the tackles to short yardage situations where the OC should know there is not going to be a push against a defense that has set itself up to stop that. I know they're not going to block it and so should he.
I was never arguing with you to begin with. I made a statement. You then responded to my statement with "not sure what your point is." So I responded to you by explaining my point. I never once said my point was countering to anything that you specifically said.

Mean Purple

Even when there is a lane, if a d lineman or a lb have no problem shutting it down. Not a lot of power run game.

Someone mentioned talking to a player and there was indication of there not being a team mentality in the locker room. I think it is a safe guess that is in the offense squad.

WIN

Cumbie is an idiot for trying it because he of all people should know we can not convert.

CountryFrog

Cumbie is an idiot for trying it because he of all people should know we can not convert.
I heard on the radio that we are 50% for the season on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1. I'm sure that someone with more time than me can look it up, but off memory, I'm fairly certain that our wildcat attempts have had a better than 50% success rate and we are actually more successful out of that than we are the normal handoffs in short yardage.

The bottom line is that we suck in short yardage because our OL gets no push. So then people [ hundin] about the formation we're in. Or if it's an acceptable formation they [ hundin] about who got the ball or which direction we ran. Or they say we shouldn't even try to run the ball because obviously we can't. So then we throw a quick screen and people [ hundin] because they're tired of the sideways passes. So then we throw a slant and people [ hundin] because why didn't we just run the ball on 3rd and 1!?

The end conclusion is that, right now, we're all just going to [ hundin] and moan about all of it because none of it is working with any level of consistency.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
why? don't know, but why hire a coach to run an offense if you don't trust him to hire a staff?

struggling offensively? as i continually pointed out in the game we a have senior linebacker who still can't read keys

seriously, two years ago the frogs linebackers were coached by a ga, no other p5 team had a position coached by a freaking ga.

the offensive line was coached by a ga for two years. think about that for a minute. for 2 years tcu had a ga coaching two positions because the head coach would not let friends go from his staff.

this team has multiple areas that are not well coached right now and they have the same root cause.
Sharp was TE and special teams coach

sharp only has experience coaching TE’s and since we never use them...,

The GA who coached the line was brought in by Doug Meacham who knew him and knew of his experience in coaching the line with Meacham offense. Don’t make this out to be more than it issues