• The KillerFrogs

NFL Combine Thread

Chongo94

OU gets their RBs and TEs heavily involved in their passing game and that is the kryptonite of this defense IMO. We just don't seem to account for them much in our typical defense and they just kill us with isolating those guys on our LBs and safeties.

Been wanting to post that for about 3 hours, just couldn’t figure out a way to word it nicely enough as I get so annoyed by the fact that GP NEVER adjusts to it. You did so far better than I could have, thanks.

JugbandFrog

Based on our offensive scheme they see in practices our Defense has no idea that you have to cover a TE
The TE is the Achilles Heel of this defense. The inside lbs are not always in the best position to cover, and despite being fast, rhey are usually running to catch up and usually have their backs turned when the ball is in the air. The safeties are too small. I have never really seem us jam the tight end at the line, maybe this is part of the run first philosophy, but the TEs also seem to get into the secondary quickly, which is usually bad news for a defense.

It is hard to adjust for our defense because it seems as if we don’t really have an answer for a team with a good tight end

Froggish

OU gets their RBs and TEs heavily involved in their passing game and that is the kryptonite of this defense IMO. We just don't seem to account for them much in our typical defense and they just kill us with isolating those guys on our LBs and safeties.

True but when we do cover them well we seem to give QB scrambles...We got crushed last year on some dirty 3rd and long scrambles ...TTech and KS both got us in critical 3rd and long moments

Wexahu

True but when we do cover them well we seem to give QB scrambles...We got crushed last year on some dirty 3rd and long scrambles ...TTech and KS both got us in critical 3rd and long moments

Very well might be a scheme issue with our particular defense. Slip RBs and TEs out in the secondary and they are either wide open or it leaves gaping holes for QB scrambles. All I know is whenever we play OU they are able to exploit our LBs and Safeties like crazy. And I don’t think it’s just a talent issue.

CountryFrog

Very well might be a scheme issue with our particular defense. Slip RBs and TEs out in the secondary and they are either wide open or it leaves gaping holes for QB scrambles. All I know is whenever we play OU they are able to exploit our LBs and Safeties like crazy. And I don’t think it’s just a talent issue.
We can talk about TE's and RB's catching passes all we want, but the reason OU has owned our defense the last 3 years is because we haven't been able to do anything that resembles slowing their running game and that just sets up everything else that they do offensively. If you want to stop that offense then it starts up front with the running game.

It also helps if your offense is actually scoring some points on that horrible OU defense.

McFroggin

We can talk about TE's and RB's catching passes all we want, but the reason OU has owned our defense the last 3 years is because we haven't been able to do anything that resembles slowing their running game and that just sets up everything else that they do offensively. If you want to stop that offense then it starts up front with the running game.

It also helps if your offense is actually scoring some points on that horrible OU defense.

Agreed. Their O-line and RB’s have been very good. You need additional help to stop it which leaves the TE and other options open. Even worse when their QB is Heisman caliber.

Froggish

I tend think it’s more scheme related...They haven’t boat raced anyone the they have boat raced us...Sometimes a team conceptually has your number. Think about the way teams like ISU and TX have been able to slow them down. Even Army last year....Doesn’t make since that we haven’t. Ok St, TT, and WVU have also got worked like slot machines but they’ve also had offenses and philosophies that played fast and wanted to score at their pace...It’s possible that our losses to OU are as much about a poor Offensive identity and game plan as our defensive problems. It’s pretty clear that playing slower and methodically against them increases your chance of beating them..We still haven’t figured out if we like playing in hype speed or more clock driven....Just no identity

Froggish

A fact from combine.....Of the 337 prospects over half of them measured to be 1/2” or more shorter then their listed heights.

Just like we’ve always known...most height and weights are fudged...

BABYFACE

I tend think it’s more scheme related...They haven’t boat raced anyone the they have boat raced us...Sometimes a team conceptually has your number. Think about the way teams like ISU and TX have been able to slow them down. Even Army last year....Doesn’t make since that we haven’t. Ok St, TT, and WVU have also got worked like slot machines but they’ve also had offenses and philosophies that played fast and wanted to score at their pace...It’s possible that our losses to OU are as much about a poor Offensive identity and game plan as our defensive problems. It’s pretty clear that playing slower and methodically against them increases your chance of beating them..We still haven’t figured out if we like playing in hype speed or more clock driven....Just no identity

I do not like quick tempo no matter what offense one runs. I also prefer the offense huddle up then go up to line and snap the ball in a short amount of time. This results in the defense having a short amount of time to read the formation and personal. Offense’s already lined up in formation and then spending 15-20 seconds calling play at the LOS tends to give the defense the advantage, imo.

Wexahu

Offense’s already lined up in formation and then spending 15-20 seconds calling play at the LOS tends to give the defense the advantage, imo.

Amen to that. There's simply no reason to not huddle if you're not going to snap the ball quickly. I guess recruits don't think huddling is cool or something.

bleedpurple

The TE is the Achilles Heel of this defense. The inside lbs are not always in the best position to cover, and despite being fast, rhey are usually running to catch up and usually have their backs turned when the ball is in the air. The safeties are too small. I have never really seem us jam the tight end at the line, maybe this is part of the run first philosophy, but the TEs also seem to get into the secondary quickly, which is usually bad news for a defense.

It is hard to adjust for our defense because it seems as if we don’t really have an answer for a team with a good tight end
I believe this to be true but how come Jace Amaro didn’t torch us?

Latest posts