• The KillerFrogs

NBC/Comcast Would Like To Make You All Very Rich

Mike Brooks

Please let it be so. The 7 dwarfs would go China Syndrome if we were all making big 3 money (equally) without the Deloss and bow to UT factor. Would be truly delicious!

Planks

The thing to rember is there is more than just money that the Big East is looking for, they are looking for exposure as well. The only way the Big East will turn down a ESPN offer is if NBC/Comcast gives a MAJOR commitment to put a very large portion of BIg East games on NBC. The Big East might be ok with putting their third-tier and some of their second-tier games on Versus, but for the most part they won't be interested in Versus. Don't kid yourselfs about any rebranding of Versus as NBC Sports, it's always going to be a second/third tier channel along the lines CBS Sports and Fox Southwest.

Genbukan

The thing to rember is there is more than just money that the Big East is looking for, they are looking for exposure as well. The only way the Big East will turn down a ESPN offer is if NBC/Comcast gives a MAJOR commitment to put a very large portion of BIg East games on NBC. The Big East might be ok with putting their third-tier and some of their second-tier games on Versus, but for the most part they won't be interested in Versus. Don't kid yourselfs about any rebranding of Versus as NBC Sports, it's always going to be a second/third tier channel along the lines CBS Sports and Fox Southwest.

Exposure is a KEY ingredient. Give me Saturday's on Versus (NBC Sports) instead of Wed. and Friday nights on espn. The problem with espn is that they have so much content already that a LOT of the Beast game are going to be put on off nights.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being

Well, they can only put one game on in the weeks when ND is playing. So 'very large portion' isn't going to happen (on NBC/Comcast or ABC/ESPN). I guarantee Versus will be a BIG player in any NBC/Comcast offer. This isn't about NBC wanting to put anybody on NBC (although I suspect they will), its about them wanting to build their cable properties - primarily Versus. And Versus already far outstrips CBS Sports Network in terms of viewership/availability anyways. Such an offer would top ESPN's capability, as ESPN (it seems) isn't terribly interested on putting the Big East on in any primo time slots - those are already taken. that's the one downside to being one of the last major property up for grabs.

I don't think there is any doubt there will be a bidding war for the Big East. We couldn't have timed this any better, really. The ESPN kingdom is under attack and we are one of the last pawns to be able be moved in the next half decade or so.

That is why I doubt there is a specific offer on the table. The legal ramifications aside, it just doesn't take a rocket scientest to know taking our rights to the open market is likely to pay off in this environment. Every league has way surpassed expectations recently.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
money-shower-460_1208206c.jpg

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Only ND home games are shown on NBC. When they are the visitor, their games go to ESPN, etc.

I'm aware of that. And that's 8 games a year, the vast majority being day games. And that doesn't take into account multiple golf tournaments NBC televises - NBC has the rights to the FedEx Cup tournaments in September.

Rabble Rouser

This. Especially if our marquee (sp?) games are getting aired on NBC. The fact of the matter is that ESPN & ABC simply have too much inventory that will take precedent over the BE that we will be a constant on ESPNU & ESPN2 and I doubt our biggest matchups would get much of a sniff at ABC and would instead be relegated to ESPN at best and probably on a weeknight. Give me a handful of Saturdays on NBC over being treated like a redheaded stepchild by the mothership any day of the week. Also being the lead-in or follow-up games to ND would no doubt garner many new eyes that have probably never seen TCU play before (sans the Rose Bowl).

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Would it be out of the question for NBC to do triple headers with a latenight game say 7pm to 10pm ET on the weeks that Notre Dame has a homegame?

It's certainly possible but the ND/NBC contract stipulates no night games, although that's apparently written in pencil since the Irish are hosting a night game with USC this year (1st time in 21 years). ND added lights as part of the last expansion, but that was primarily for the late afternoon games in November. And, to be honest, I can't picture NBC putting a BE game on in prime time (IMO).