• The KillerFrogs

NBC/Comcast Would Like To Make You All Very Rich

WVUFan

I would say 17 is the mark for the BE per FB team and that will be the most expensive contract as 4-6 mil per basketball team.

BYU was not contact and the BE would not accept them as a full member due to travel.

The B12 north schools would be great but would lead to destruction on the B12 and super conferences. Besides I highly doubt the BE thought about asking them sense last summer

froginaustin

Chew on this for a bit...

. . .

As far as contact...Notre Dame can talk to NBC all they want. Notre Dame can talk to "independent" consultant Tagliabue all they want. Nothing illegal. What Tag says to the Commish isnt negotiation. Its just a consultant telling him what he is hearing in the market.
If I were the BE, I would be really really nervous about Notre Dame or anyone else talking to anyone but ESPN during the exclusivity period of the TV contract. Maybe the BE, Notre Dame, Tagliabue, etc., have iron-clad opinions from lawyers (with very high malpractice coverages) that promise everyone that coded or hypothetical discussions that would be a pointless waste of everyone's time in a business context if they weren't kicking the tires for a BE television contract are NOT the sort of contact forbidden by the existing TV contract.

I know that the above comment ignores possible enforceability problems for ESPN, concerning its contracted-for exclusivity rights clause(s). But what I'm saying is, I seriously doubt that serious people would assume that anyone connected with the conference, however indirectly, can talk to any TV networks, however indirectly, about TV contracts or hypothetical contracts without exposing the conference (and the possible agents of the conference) to damages claims for breach of an exclusivity clause, particularly if ESPN is unsuccessful in signing the conference to its next TV contract.

Now the danger should be perfectly clear. :cool:

mtmedlin

I dont think their talking specific numbers but I do think they are saying we have a preference for a conference that would look like this. That wouldnt be negotiating, it would simply talking about what they are looking to buy.
they could simply say that we have X dollars to spen and we want to get a conference that looks like X. You dont think that comcast let it be known that the $130 million was low.
as far as BYU, I believe that if they join a conference that it negates their tv contract. Its only enforcable while their indy... and yes, they were contacted, common knowledge among Notre Dame alumni. From what I get out of many of my ND friends is that BYU would be supported by ND in either a full or football only invite.

frogbyproxy

No matter what the present contract is with ESPN you can negotiate for future television contracts after you show good faith. Good faith was listening to EsPn tell the Big East what will happen and what type of change they can afford. Once the BE listened to the puppet master they got up from the tables and said "Whew no more Friday night games". May negotiations begin! :tongue:

njustus7

If I were the BE, I would be really really nervous about Notre Dame or anyone else talking to anyone but ESPN during the exclusivity period of the TV contract. Maybe the BE, Notre Dame, Tagliabue, etc., have iron-clad opinions from lawyers (with very high malpractice coverages) that promise everyone that coded or hypothetical discussions that would be a pointless waste of everyone's time in a business context if they weren't kicking the tires for a BE television contract are NOT the sort of contact forbidden by the existing TV contract.

I know that the above comment ignores possible enforceability problems for ESPN, concerning its contracted-for exclusivity rights clause(s). But what I'm saying is, I seriously doubt that serious people would assume that anyone connected with the conference, however indirectly, can talk to any TV networks, however indirectly, about TV contracts or hypothetical contracts without exposing the conference (and the possible agents of the conference) to damages claims for breach of an exclusivity clause, particularly if ESPN is unsuccessful in signing the conference to its next TV contract.

Now the danger should be perfectly clear. :cool:

Yep, it's call Tortious interference - and it's for real...

froginaustin

I dont think their talking specific numbers but I do think they are saying we have a preference for a conference that would look like this. That wouldnt be negotiating, it would simply talking about what they are looking to buy.
they could simply say that we have X dollars to spen and we want to get a conference that looks like X. You dont think that comcast let it be known that the $130 million was low.
as far as BYU, I believe that if they join a conference that it negates their tv contract. Its only enforcable while their indy... and yes, they were contacted, common knowledge among Notre Dame alumni. From what I get out of many of my ND friends is that BYU would be supported by ND in either a full or football only invite.
One doesn't have to talk specific numbers to be negotiating a contract. Particularly if the talk is about what each side would like to see in a contract, and what they might like to pay for it, who else might be involved, etc. Sounds like the way a construction deal starts, with vague general concepts kicked around before anyone mentions specifics of dollars and specifications.

No disrespect intended, Medlin, but what you are describing is negotiating a contract and its negotiating a contract whether principals are talking face-to-face or by agents by any name(s) described. What is discussed may be a long way from final terms, but it's the preliminary dancing around. Saying it ain't negotiating doesn't make it so.

Perhaps the BE and those you say are speaking for it are not worried about the enforceability of the exclusivity clause, I don't know. For really big deals, sometimes a few legal spats or threats are simply a cost of doing business.

frogbyproxy

Yep, it's call Tortious interference - and it's for real...

I'm not too worried about what the writer says. Have you checked him out? Jeesh! I did a search for his name used NickBloomfield and then seperated using google. Then for news source I typed in sb nation only. There is nothing to be found. Is this his debut as a writer and if so he should check where sb nation has gotten there last two money fusions and he will see comcast was part of it. :biggrin:

Credibility lost when I noticed it is a fan and it's a fan blog. He stated I have sat in many negotiations which means he did it in his own mind! :tongue:

mtmedlin

One doesn't have to talk specific numbers to be negotiating a contract. Particularly if the talk is about what each side would like to see in a contract, and what they might like to pay for it, who else might be involved, etc. Sounds like the way a construction deal starts, with vague general concepts kicked around before anyone mentions specifics of dollars and specifications.

No disrespect intended, Medlin, but what you are describing is negotiating a contract and its negotiating a contract whether principals are talking face-to-face or by agents by any name(s) described. What is discussed may be a long way from final terms, but it's the preliminary dancing around. Saying it ain't negotiating doesn't make it so.

Perhaps the BE and those you say are speaking for it are not worried about the enforceability of the exclusivity clause, I don't know. For really big deals, sometimes a few legal spats or threats are simply a cost of doing business.

I dont disagree with you but when using third parties such as Commissioner Tagliabue and representatives from ND, it would be outrageously difficult to prove. That was the first thing that I learned in law class, there is illegal and what they can prove.

In this case, again, I dont think there is alot of talk or real specifics but there is no way Marinatto walks away from $130 million a year without some wink or a nod that he will get more.

Frog DJ

Only ND home games are shown on NBC. When they are the visitor, their games go to ESPN, etc.
And on average, how many road games does ND play every year? 3? 8-home, 1-neutral site and 3-road is pretty standard for them.

To me, that should be against NCAA rules, but that's another argument, for another day.

Go Frogs!

HG73

I dont disagree with you but when using third parties such as Commissioner Tagliabue and representatives from ND, it would be outrageously difficult to prove. That was the first thing that I learned in law class, there is illegal and what they can prove.

In this case, again, I dont think there is alot of talk or real specifics but there is no way Marinatto walks away from $130 million a year without some wink or a nod that he will get more.

Absolutely Marinatto knows there is a better offer out there or he certainly would still be negotiating with ESPN. How he found out about the better offer is insignificant. The networks know exactly how much $$ each team in college football brings to a TV contract. It's probably close to public knowledge in those circles (networks and conferences).

Being on the same channel as ND brings some value too. So does Army and Navy. Maybe those three are not in the conference, just tied in with a scheduling arrageement as part of the TV contract. Pretty solid lineup for the eastern US.

froginaustin

If Tagliabue etc., talked to networks about the BE contract, it's outrageously easy to prove that they talked and with very few exceptions and qualifications, what was talked about. One asks the parties about it.

I suppose there could be an effective conspiracy of silence, but I would be mildly surprised if the people we are hypothetically talking about would unanimously give untruthful sworn statements. The party seeking proof would also have to have the resources to take people's depositions under subpoena (assuming they would not give statements voluntarily and waive being subpoenaed). I am not scoffing at the expense of such an investigation-- a whole lot of person hours and a whole lot of out-of-pocket expenses could be involved. But it wouldn't take a Kenneth Star to find out if Tags and friends talked to non-ESPN networks about TV-deal hypotheticals, and all or almost all of the details of what was discussed.

ED: Bottom Line-- Without someone involved fessing up, Tags or Comcast for example, I really discount rumors that anyone is talking to Comcast (or any other non-ESPN network) about deals that might involve the BE or even a hypothetical conference that might resemble the present or a future Big East.

And I could be wrong. Everyone could be so lawyered up that each has a script to follow that will arguably avoid serious exposure for messin' around with ESPN's claimed exclusive rights to negotiate with the BE for its sports coverage. After all, there's an awful lot of money at play.

I think he has some specific numbers he is looking at, but I think those are estimates from his advisors/ consultants based on recent TV deals and their market analysis. He's taking a risk they are right.

Screaming Flea

Negotiator's are thinking long term and for good reason. The popularity of football in 5 or 10 years is absolutely staggering! Read or heard somewhere recently the NFL believes the popularity of the NFL will be 3 or 4 times greater in just five years. The NFL players want to be guaranteed a piece of that growth and the owners are saying basically .. maybe a portion but not what your asking.

College football is also growing by leaps and bounds. Many people think the growth for BE football is just a small explosion away.

froginaustin

Negotiator's are thinking long term and for good reason. The popularity of football in 5 or 10 years is absolutely staggering! Read or heard somewhere recently the NFL believes the popularity of the NFL will be 3 or 4 times greater in just five years. The NFL players want to be guaranteed a piece of that growth and the owners are saying basically .. maybe a portion but not what your asking.

College football is also growing by leaps and bounds. Many people think the growth for BE football is just a small explosion away.
I would hope so. Non-sports programming on TV has a high proportion of garbage.

Last night I was coerced by spouse to watch "Glee". It'll take about 12 - 14 college football games to counteract the suckage of one episode of that.

WVUFan

Its not just the idea of CFB but BB will the bigger draw as the BE is still growing in power and ESPN could not show ever top 10 vs top 10 BE match up. And everyone seen that there is little difference between 1-10 with that amount of inventory the BB schools will be vital to the contract period though ESPN wants to undervalue them as much as possible.

Houston Frog

Last night I was coerced by spouse to watch "Glee". It'll take about 12 - 14 college football games to counteract the suckage of one episode of that.

I decided to watch Glee a couple months ago, just to see what all the fuss was about. I was by myself and could still only make it through about 20 minutes before I was too embarrassed to keep watching.

mtmedlin

Can you even believe how good this could turn out for the BE if there isnt a NFL season. I know in my market, Tampa that USF will be the only game in town. Our attendance will soar and viewership will be at an all time high just for lack of competition. (and dont underestimate the football junky syndrome, the beast must be fed!)
This is a pivotal year. If USF can perform well, garner local interest without an NFL season, I can see some real long term growth.

Screaming Flea

When blood is in the water....that's when you see some action in the NFL. Bill Parcels quote

In the meantime, college football is THE game and if TCU markets the product correctly, we'll see much bigger numbers. That not only applies to TCU, but other programs as well.

mtmedlin...don't always agree with your thoughts but you are a good outside. More often than not, your right on course.