• The KillerFrogs

MLB 2023 Thread

hometown frog

With the cash that the Mets are sending w Max, even if he goes ahead and opts out after this season (i doubt he will w that $43.3M price tag) I think it’s a great deal for the Rangers. The middle infield at the big club was full w Semien and Seager. So Acuña had value outside the organization prob higher than within.

need another arm (or two) in the back of the pen from the trade wire and this team is scary

Eight

With the cash that the Mets are sending w Max, even if he goes ahead and opts out after this season (i doubt he will w that $43.3M price tag) I think it’s a great deal for the Rangers. The middle infield at the big club was full w Semien and Seager. So Acuña had value outside the organization prob higher than within.

need another arm (or two) in the back of the pen from the trade wire and this team is scary

this is why I asked if he is healthy , that is basically paying his contract for the rangers for a single prospect?

if he gives the rangers anything this year it seems like a win for them

what am i missing?

ShreveFrog

I’ve read that Max has been spotty this year and susceptible to the long ball. Though he’s coming off his best start of the year. ERA around 4.
That said, I’ll be glad if he joins us. If he smells a ‘ship, he could be super motivated to pitch great.

hometown frog

I’ve read that Max has been spotty this year and susceptible to the long ball. Though he’s coming off his best start of the year. ERA around 4.
That said, I’ll be glad if he joins us. If he smells a ‘ship, he could be super motivated to pitch great.
He’s giving the Mets 6-7 innings per start. He giving up a little under a hit per inning and has had a couple of games where he’s given up multiple bombs. But he’s still punching out 8 or so a game. Just gotta hope he gets into the pennant race juice and turns into that bulldog again.

hometown frog

still trying to understand exactly what the mets were doing with this trade, didn't they just sign lindor to some ridiculous contract extension a year or so back?
My guess is that Max and his agent had effectively told the Mets he was no longer interested in pitching for that organization ant some point around the all star break and so they went out and got what they thought they could from another team.

They certainly got a top end prospect that should be on the MLB roster by next year. But the return seemed rather small to me compared to what Max could mean to a team in pennant contention.

Eight

My guess is that Max and his agent had effectively told the Mets he was no longer interested in pitching for that organization ant some point around the all star break and so they went out and got what they thought they could from another team.

They certainly got a top end prospect that should be on the MLB roster by next year. But the return seemed rather small to me compared to what Max could mean to a team in pennant contention.

get the first part and understand the prospect is highly regarded, but still trying to understand why not a a couple of other prospects out of the rangers system?

texas couldn't have been the only team in these discussions right?

hometown frog

get the first part and understand the prospect is highly regarded, but still trying to understand why not a a couple of other prospects out of the rangers system?

texas couldn't have been the only team in these discussions right?
Guessing the no trade clause had a LOT to do with which teams were in the mix

FBallFan123

still trying to understand exactly what the mets were doing with this trade, didn't they just sign lindor to some ridiculous contract extension a year or so back?

Was listening to Joel Sherman on MLB Network.

Basically, he said Cohen has unlimited cash (in a baseball sense) … his number one priority is to get an elite farm system … he wants to emulate the Dodgers (who have had the best farm system in baseball, and can bring up MLB level players essentially every year) … and once he realized Mets weren’t real contenders, he went in buying prospect mode … and that the money he’s paying in this deal (roughly $36 mil.) is basically “chump change” to him.

Sherman said he puts the chances of Mets dealing Verlander at about 60/40 that they would.

Last edited:

Eight

Was listening to Joel Sherman on MLB Network.

Basically, he said Cohen has unlimited cash (in a baseball sense) … his number one priority is to get an elite farm system … he wants to emulate the Dodgers (who have had the best farm system in baseball, and can bring up MLB level players essentially every year) … and once he realized Mets weren’t real contenders, he went in buying prospect mode … and that the money he’s paying in this deal (roughly $36 mil.) is basically “chump change” to him.

Sherman said he puts the chances of Mets dealing Verlander at about 60/40 that they would.

if he wanted to beef up the farm system then why do you give up 20M+ and a starter for a single prospect

seriously, the cardinals got a bigger haul and didn't have to throw in a wad of cash

the mets have been a bad franchise for a long time and a big part is their inability to draft and develop talent

for all the crap people throw at luhnow, if you look at how the astros were built it was drafting and developing talent

FBallFan123

if he wanted to beef up the farm system then why do you give up 20M+ and a starter for a single prospect

seriously, the cardinals got a bigger haul and didn't have to throw in a wad of cash

the mets have been a bad franchise for a long time and a big part is their inability to draft and develop talent

for all the crap people throw at luhnow, if you look at how the astros were built it was drafting and developing talent

Maybe he was the highest rated individual prospect available for Scherzer, and they chose quality over quantity … and kicked in more $ to get him.

MLB Pipeline and Fangraphs both have him like a top 50’ish prospect … and #2 in the Mets org now.

They got 2 prospects back for Robertson that are supposedly doing well this year … but they’re years away.

Depending what they do with Verlander and others they could potentially have a top 5-10 farm system after the deadline.

And with that owner … they’ll go spend a bunch more $ on free agents in the offseason.

Last edited:

Eight

Maybe he was the highest rated individual prospect available for Scherzer, and they chose quality over quantity … and kicked in more $ to get him.

MLB Pipeline and Fangraphs both have him like a top 50’ish prospect … and #2 in the Mets org now.

They got 2 prospects back for Robertson that are supposedly doing well this year … but they’re years away.

Depending what they do with Verlander and others they could potentially have a top 5-10 farm system after the deadline.

a single prospect means one guy who hasn't done anything at the mlb level yet so regardless of how highly rated they basically paid $20M for 1 guy so he better be more than just another middle infielder

plus, they just signed lindor to the 10-year extension

the mets are not an organization that has been killing it identifying, projecting, and developing talent

FBallFan123

a single prospect means one guy who hasn't done anything at the mlb level yet so regardless of how highly rated they basically paid $20M for 1 guy so he better be more than just another middle infielder

plus, they just signed lindor to the 10-year extension

the mets are not an organization that has been killing it identifying, projecting, and developing talent

You keep saying the Mets haven’t been good at acquiring prospects … and here they are acquiring a good one.

Who cares what it cost Cohen?

It’s his money and he’s willing to spend it.

Eight

You keep saying the Mets haven’t been good at acquiring prospects … and here they are acquiring a good one.

Who cares what it cost Cohen?

It’s his money and he’s willing to spend it.

forget it, great trade, they fleeced the rangers into taking 20M and a guy who should give them 5-6 solid innings a game for a "top rated" prospect

guys like cohen are great for baseball