• The KillerFrogs

MLB 2023 Thread

ShreveFrog

Not the greatest start by deGrom. Great job, bullpen. Fortunately the bats got hot. Good to see Bochy win his first game as the Rangers boss.
I'm also happy the Rangers wore the right color of lid (blue) with the home jersey blue lettering. They may have done away with the red lids altogether since no more red jersey???

ShreveFrog

I've been watching MLB Tonight and they are ruining it with an Ohtani Cam. Really? Gimme a break. Maybe they're just overdoing it for opening night.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
1. First place Texas Rangers.
2. Do the Astros suck or what??!!
In 2004, the Astros were swept in their opening series. Sportstalk that Monday morning was brutal, as one would expect. After a number of purely negative calls, they took a call from a fellow with a positive outlook: "Look, it's not like they lost to a bunch of schmoes! That team is on pace to have the best record in the Majors! They're winning at a World Series clip!"

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
"Aaron Judge followed his record-setting 2022 by homering on his first swing"
400px-Happy_Cat.jpg

My dad sends me Tony Gwynn tidbits all the time. They're crazy stats. Simply remarkable. If he played in Ted Williams's day he would have hit .400 at least once.

Get this about TG. He ranks 21st on the all-time hits list. Hard to believe. You'd think a guy with a legend like his would be top 5 at the very least. But, of the top 21 and at 3141 hits, he has the least amount of at-bats. But not only top 21, you have to drop down to 33 and Roberto Clemente to find someone with fewer ABs than Tony...of which Roberto had 20 less. Go even further down the list, of the top 38 all-time hits leaders, only Clemente had fewer ABs. Robin Yount ranks one spot above Tony at 20 with 1, ONE more hit...Robin Yount had over 2000 more ABs.

Incidentally, anyone care to guess without looking where Ted Williams ranks on the list and how many hits he ended up with?

Edit...ABs and plate appearances are synonymous here. These are not official ABs which do not count walks, HBPs and sac bunts.

Last edited: