• The KillerFrogs

Mizzou getting hit with NCAA sanctions

NYC Horned Frog

A 2019-2020 postseason ban, 5% reduction in scholarships, plus some minor slaps. Have to wonder how Shawn Robinson and Kelly Bryant feel about this. Maybe won't hit Shawn as hard since he has more time.

Last edited:

Froggish

By the way....the NCAA has ruled they will allow SR transfers with immediate eligibility. Bryant will be a free agent again

MTfrog5

scheiss the NCAA. What they’re being hammered for isn’t even close to as bad as what UNC got a slap on the wrist for.
Still blows my mind that just because "the class open to all students" that UNC got away with everything. Lets not think about how normal students had to search really hard for those classes compared to basketball players getting handed these class numbers

MAcFroggy

I hate that people are using the UNC comparison. They are totally different issues. UNC had absurdly easy classes available to all students. Lots of athletes took these absurdly easy classes, however, they were actually doing the work themselves. It is not their fault the class was easy. The easiness of the class is an accreditation issue. I do not want the NCAA going around telling universities what class can and can not count as credit.

In the Mizzou situation, a tutor was literally doing assignments, quizzes, etc for the students.

Moose Stuff

I hate that people are using the UNC comparison. They are totally different issues. UNC had absurdly easy classes available to all students. Lots of athletes took these absurdly easy classes, however, they were actually doing the work themselves. It is not their fault the class was easy. The easiness of the class is an accreditation issue. I do not want the NCAA going around telling universities what class can and can not count as credit.

In the Mizzou situation, a tutor was literally doing assignments, quizzes, etc for the students.

You’re oversimplifying what UNC did. Either way Mizzou is getting screwed and the NCAA still sucks.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
You either have rules, or you don't. Selective enforcement is what is happening, and that is a pathetic sham. If they were capable of shame, the NCAA ought to be ashamed. But, as they evidently are not...

dawg

"Rashad McCants, the second-leading scorer on the North Carolina basketball team that won the 2004-05 national title, told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible."

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

In other words, UNC did the same thing for which Mizzou just got probation (in addition to committing a boatload more academic fraud). The difference, as we all know, is that North Carolina MBB is one of the bluest of all Blue Bloods in the sport that makes the NCAA a truckload of money.