• The KillerFrogs

Mizzou getting hit with NCAA sanctions

Wexahu

North Carolina MBB is one of the bluest of all Blue Bloods in the sport that makes the NCAA a truckload of money.

Coached by one of the biggest frauds IMO in college basketball. He had a good mentor in Dean Smith. Gosh darn, it's all about those kids.

Chico Dusty

"Rashad McCants, the second-leading scorer on the North Carolina basketball team that won the 2004-05 national title, told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible."

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

In other words, UNC did the same thing for which Mizzou just got probation (in addition to committing a boatload more academic fraud). The difference, as we all know, is that North Carolina MBB is one of the bluest of all Blue Bloods in the sport that makes the NCAA a truckload of money.

I remember watching a special on that and they profiled a football player on UNC during that time - that literally could not read. He was embarrassed and would hide Dr. Seuss books under his bed to try and learn.

MAcFroggy

"Rashad McCants, the second-leading scorer on the North Carolina basketball team that won the 2004-05 national title, told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible."

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...ll-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

In other words, UNC did the same thing for which Mizzou just got probation (in addition to committing a boatload more academic fraud). The difference, as we all know, is that North Carolina MBB is one of the bluest of all Blue Bloods in the sport that makes the NCAA a truckload of money.

UNC denied that the tutors did this. Mizzou admitted that their tutors did the work for the players. That is the difference.

UNC denied any wrongdoing and stated the classes were in fact real classes for the entire student body. Mizzou admitted to cheating.

Eight

UNC denied that the tutors did this. Mizzou admitted that their tutors did the work for the players. That is the difference.

UNC denied any wrongdoing and stated the classes were in fact real classes for the entire student body. Mizzou admitted to cheating.

hmmmmm....where do i recall that very same strategy of co-operating with the ncaa ending up biting one school in the ass while other schools have lawyered up and gotten lighter penalties.

Brog

I hate that people are using the UNC comparison. They are totally different issues. UNC had absurdly easy classes available to all students. Lots of athletes took these absurdly easy classes, however, they were actually doing the work themselves. It is not their fault the class was easy. The easiness of the class is an accreditation issue. I do not want the NCAA going around telling universities what class can and can not count as credit.

In the Mizzou situation, a tutor was literally doing assignments, quizzes, etc for the students.

Are you not aware of who arranged these "absurdly easy classes" for the basketball players? They did nothing, nothing, except agree to take the credit hours. As you say, the other students could work to find them, but not the basketball players. So you say these are "totally different issues"? Hmm.

Diehard

A 2019-2020 postseason ban, 5% reduction in scholarships, plus some minor slaps. Have to wonder how Shawn Robinson and Kelly Bryant feel about this. Maybe won't hit Shawn as hard since he has more time.

The NCAA enforcement staff did not name the tutor in the unethical conduct allegation largely due to her repeated threats to leak information about the case, the committee said. As it reviewed the case, the committee determined that the tutor was a primary individual and included her in the case. The tutor was then provided with the opportunity to participate in the full process and respond to the allegation. The committee ultimately held her accountable for her conduct and included her in its unethical conduct violation.

So what are they hiding??

flyfishingfrog

The NCAA enforcement staff did not name the tutor in the unethical conduct allegation largely due to her repeated threats to leak information about the case, the committee said. As it reviewed the case, the committee determined that the tutor was a primary individual and included her in the case. The tutor was then provided with the opportunity to participate in the full process and respond to the allegation. The committee ultimately held her accountable for her conduct and included her in its unethical conduct violation.

So what are they hiding??
Guessing something like she was told to do it by the coaches or paid by someone on the staff to do it or else you are fired? I mean, does anyone think a person who makes a living as a tutor just decided to do this on their own?

Pharm Frog

Not sure it's new thread worthy but De Sousa ruled ineligible for the remainder of this year and all of next year. KU to appeal of course.

"In my 30-plus years of coaching college basketball, I have never witnessed such a mean-spirited and vindictive punishment against a young man who did nothing wrong," Self said in a statement released shortly after the NCAA announced its ruling. "To take away his opportunity to play college basketball is shameful and a failure of the NCAA.

Eight

Not sure it's new thread worthy but De Sousa ruled ineligible for the remainder of this year and all of next year. KU to appeal of course.

"In my 30-plus years of coaching college basketball, I have never witnessed such a mean-spirited and vindictive punishment against a young man who did nothing wrong," Self said in a statement released shortly after the NCAA announced its ruling. "To take away his opportunity to play college basketball is shameful and a failure of the NCAA.

says the man who won the open auction known as the recruitment of darrell arthur.

has self's years of success and lack of repercussions at kansas made him so self unaware or is this his natural state?

MTfrog5

says the man who won the open auction known as the recruitment of darrell arthur.

has self's years of success and lack of repercussions at Kansas made him so self unaware or is this his natural state?
I agree that Self should just be lucky that nothing has happened to him. I believe that he had no idea of this going on about as much as I believe Briles knew nothing was going on at Baylor.