• The KillerFrogs

Mike Collins

I'm not saying Collins isn't better than Delton, maybe he is, but I think he gets a little too much credit by some fans simply because of the fact that he was quite a bit better than Robinson last year. But Collins has actually done very very little to show how good or bad he is and he's been injured for most of the last 12 months. I don't think there's any reason to believe that he's DEFINITELY better than Delton. He might be but it's not like there's a ton of empirical evidence out there to back that up.

Unfortunately for Mike, he got injured at a very inopportune time during camp and now he's in a spot where the starter has clearly been decided on and it's going to be difficult for him to find practice reps unless something happens with Max.

I know it's fun to criticize the staff at every turn as if they have absolutely no idea what they're doing. There are certainly plenty of things that are worthy of criticism, I'm just not buying that this is one of those things myself.
There's no disputing what you're saying about the injuries and that may have set him back some but we do have some evidence in that we've seen them both play in actual games. Based on seeing them play in those actual games, one of them has looked like a decent P5 QB and the other one looks to be below that standard. So, if we're discussing issues with the team, it seems like fair game to ask why the player who has looked worse continues to be ahead of a player who has looked better.

Froggish

curious if duggan is given any type of choice in changing plays at the line.

GP mentioned after the KU game that Duggan did a good job of checking into runs..I assume he has that power against ISU as well..One of the things I didn’t like about our game plan was that we unnecessarily went empty backfield to start the game..and then we did it again when Delton came in..With our QB situation, not giving the QB a RB for either audible purposes or for an extra blocker is absurd...Made me furious as it’s a great example of not putting your QB in the best position to be successful.

Moose Stuff

GP mentioned after the KU game that Duggan did a good job of checking into runs..I assume he has that power against ISU as well..One of the things I didn’t like about our game plan was that we unnecessarily went empty backfield to start the game..and then we did it again when Delton came in..With our QB situation, not giving the QB a RB for either audible purposes or for an extra blocker is absurd...Made me furious as it’s a great example of not putting your QB in the best position to be successful.

How about starting the game with our best offensive player on the bench?

PO Frog

jeremy wrote on 247 that darius cut his hand on the opening kick off and it took a little bit of time for the medical staff to get the bleeding stopped so he could go into the ball game
Which begs the question as to why we haven’t figured out that it’s better to fair catch when every other team in college football has. Instead we put our star player back there to risk injury and cost us three yards.

Mean Purple

Which begs the question as to why we haven’t figured out that it’s better to fair catch when every other team in college football has. Instead we put our star player back there to risk injury and cost us three yards.
We do a lot of dumb stuff. There was mention of the empty backfield. A lot of not putting players I position to win.

Moose Stuff

And as I noted in the game thread he was still returning kicks down 25 with 4 minutes left. ZERO need for that.

asleep003

Those 4 games Collins mostly played last year showed he had a lot of upside, over the 56% completions(6 tds/2 ints) with terrible protection and dropped balls/good feet/and quality ball protection. All that with an injured throwing hand part of the time.

4th. down

And as I noted in the game thread he was still returning kicks down 25 with 4 minutes left. ZERO need for that.

Guys, who makes those decisions and with over 30 sec, left and timeouts left, you try a 52 yd. field goal when you clearly had time for 2 passes and then a field goal.

GP is just trying to do too much and I've said it many times before - his special teams coach, Cross is responsible for Reagor being in to receive the punts late, down 25 points - really kinda silly actually. But it goes on and on across a wide spectrum. IT AIN'T CHANGING.

Moose Stuff

Guys, who makes those decisions and with over 30 sec, left and timeouts left, you try a 52 yd. field goal when you clearly had time for 2 passes and then a field goal.

GP is just trying to do too much and I've said it many times before - his special teams coach, Cross is responsible for Reagor being in to receive the punts late, down 25 points - really kinda silly actually. But it goes on and on across a wide spectrum. IT AIN'T CHANGING.

We’re talking about Anderson not Reagor. And the idiocy of the long FG (it was 57 yards) is that 2 weeks ago GP said we didn’t have anyone who could kick a 40+ yard FG so he chose not to try to tie SMU late but for some reason we had someone yesterday who could kick an even further FG in bad conditions??? I’d love to hear His answer for that one. Wait, no I wouldn’t.

Bruce Berry

We’re talking about Anderson not Reagor. And the idiocy of the long FG (it was 57 yards) is that 2 weeks ago GP said we didn’t have anyone who could kick a 40+ yard FG so he chose not to try to tie SMU late but for some reason we had someone yesterday who could kick an even further FG in bad conditions??? I’d love to hear His answer for that one. Wait, no I wouldn’t.

Based on Jeremy's pre game report it was obvious even to me sitting in Austin that kick wasn't happening.

Eight

no worry there as there is no one in the dfw media who would directly ask gary the question. muck might right a column where he hypothetically asks the question, but drew or carlos or anyone else won't ask the question of what changed between the end of the smu game and the end of the first half in ames?

just as no one will ask if sonny could be made available to discuss why he went aways from what worked in the first half?

4th. down

Realistically, going forward, what could change in the next 2 weeks that would move the program up where we could get to 6-6? Other than offensive and defensive refinement, nothing. Same starters basically on offense and defense, same schemes, same coaches, etc. Why expect a significant turnaround?

Throw out the APB game, we shouldn't even have been playing them. Purdue, a weak Power 5, SMU not even a Power 5, and then of course, Kansas. Then you have an underperforming Iowa State team that hadn't done anything lay 49 on us. Maybe changes after the season on coaches and schemes but I would not lay a significant $$ bet on it.

We will be heading into realignment in a couple of years as a 50% in conference win program - it could get dicey.

Mean Purple

jeremy wrote on 247 that darius cut his hand on the opening kick off and it took a little bit of time for the medical staff to get the bleeding stopped so he could go into the ball game
Thanks for mentioning. Read it. Great wrap up. His point on needing to go Tempo is spot on.

One other thing, watching horns eers replay. WVU qb tossed an int by under throwing between the hashes. Had it gone high, would also have been picked. Maybe that's why they are not letting Max throw many of those.

4th. down

Thanks for mentioning. Read it. Great wrap up. His point on needing to go Tempo is spot on.

One other thing, watching horns eers replay. WVU qb tossed an int by under throwing between the hashes. Had it gone high, would also have been picked. Maybe that's why they are not letting Max throw many of those.

Yeah, against a 3-8, you should get some interceptions. Campbell and others are liking this 3 stack defense - maybe better than GP's complicated ass 4-2-5 as players are running around at snap count to get set correctly - actually, it was embarrassing.

Eight

Realistically, going forward, what could change in the next 2 weeks that would move the program up where we could get to 6-6? Other than offensive and defensive refinement, nothing. Same starters basically on offense and defense, same schemes, same coaches, etc. Why expect a significant turnaround?

Throw out the APB game, we shouldn't even have been playing them. Purdue, a weak Power 5, SMU not even a Power 5, and then of course, Kansas. Then you have an underperforming Iowa State team that hadn't done anything lay 49 on us. Maybe changes after the season on coaches and schemes but I would not lay a significant $$ bet on it.

We will be heading into realignment in a couple of years as a 50% in conference win program - it could get dicey.

offensively, say it scheiss and turn max loose. stop trying to protect him and the defense and allow him to attack in tempo.

that doesn't mean throw it 50 times a game, but instead take on an aggressive attitude on the offensive side of ball. stop being coy in the run game and run power behind the offensive line, attack the middle of the field in the pass game and if max throws a pic big deal. i really think max may surprise us if he is allowed to be more aggressive.

defensively, frogs have enough big bodies in ross, bethley, cooper, ellis, blackshear etc..... start running that 3 man line like is with the defensive ends head up on the tackles. dare people to run outside and hope for goodness sake ben wilson gets healthy.

oh,,,and during this time you need to be talking to every freaking juco de with the ability to rush the passer for next year.

i agree with what tetonfrog wrote in that aside from ou and texas i am not sure how good anyone really is and we have seen enough yo-yo play i am not sure the frogs can't win 7 or more games if we see a change from this current attitude of being scared to make a mistake.

seriously, all the defensive players are starting to look like the wide receivers looked last year where they were afraid what would happen if they dropped a pass.

time to cut loose and stop trying to grind out enough wins to make a bowl

Wexahu

fundamentally, we don't have to go completely hunh and i hate the idea of running the same play again and again and again

getting to the line quickly though and attacking, throwing inside the hashes, and hammering with the backs will work but that means the defense might get exposed.

I’ve noticed that the less our offensive players look over to the sideline, the better they play. Figure out a game plan during the week that will put points on the board and then get out there and take it to them in the game. Attack, attack and attack. I’d love to see that kind of body language and mentality instead of always looking like we’re playing uphill and the defense downhill.