• The KillerFrogs

Mike Collins

Eight

Linebacker apparently with tackle a close second...according to Wikipedia.

not sure on lb as the only ones I know that made nfl from last five years are Dawson, howard and summers

tackles include noteboom, big v, collins, and pryor off hand

very few defensive backs, no defensive linemen until last year, only two receivers and I think one running back

Chongo94

not sure on lb as the only ones I know that made nfl from last five years are Dawson, howard and summers

tackles include noteboom, big v, collins, and pryor off hand

very few defensive backs, no defensive linemen until last year, only two receivers and I think one running back

Believe those were just players drafted, didn’t look to see who actually made final cuts.

notyalc

First we hear how we need to get off to a fast start but then we have to keep the ball on the ground for the first two drives while our Freshman QB get comfortable.

MN Frog

i agree that the duggan showed some positive things and there are things that could be done to help him a great deal earlier in the game.

first, the offense needs to be run-centric and the frogs had success on their scoring drive with the run game.

two, use the tempo. max seems comfortable in it and tempo is not the same as the hurry up.

third, use the shorter routes and use the talent and size at receiver. stephens, wells, hunt on the slant and skinny post routes.

the one part of the game i re-watched was the fumble iowa state forced and returned for the touchdown.

i don't fault sonny for being aggressive and the play wasn't terrible from the start. darius could have done a better job on the blitzer he tried to pick up, but the guy who forced the fumble took some time to get to max.

problem were the routes. the two outside receivers looked to be on go's, one receiver went a short distance and basically stopped, and the fourth recevier ran a deep 12-15 yard square in.

iowa state was not letting anyone get behind them so the go's were out and the check down was covered from the start.

there was no one in the middle of the iowa state defense 10-15 yards and hunt came free, but that route takes way too long to develop.

break that route out at 6-8 and make it a deep slant or skinny post with stephens, wells, or hunt and you give max a big target to hit in the seam.

There were 5 guys in the box on the fumble play. RTFB Sonny!

TCUWIN

i agree that the duggan showed some positive things and there are things that could be done to help him a great deal earlier in the game
the one part of the game i re-watched was the fumble iowa state forced and returned for the touchdown.

problem were the routes. the two outside receivers looked to be on go's, one receiver went a short distance and basically stopped, and the fourth recevier ran a deep 12-15 yard square in.

iowa state was not letting anyone get behind them so the go's were out and the check down was covered from the start.

there was no one in the middle of the iowa state defense 10-15 yards and hunt came free, but that route takes way too long to develop.

break that route out at 6-8 and make it a deep slant or skinny post with stephens, wells, or hunt and you give max a big target to hit in the seam.
Actually, the tight end had a free release straight down the middle of the field. Max didn’t see him because he saw the blitzed of the edge and looked to right. But I agree. 6-10 yards was open underneath. But we don’t utilize that space like every other team we play. We throw the fade or the screen. At least we threw the post a few times yesterday.

JockO de Frog

Actually, the tight end had a free release straight down the middle of the field. Max didn’t see him because he saw the blitzed of the edge and looked to right. But I agree. 6-10 yards was open underneath. But we don’t utilize that space like every other team we play. We throw the fade or the screen. At least we threw the post a few times yesterday.
This

Eight

frogs did a bit in the first half and did in the second and had some success, but it is quite obvious this offense has no identity and there is talent

frogs need to use tempo, they need to throw inside the hashes, and they need to start using the run game to set up attacking in the pass game.

get rid of the damn zone read, run the backs from the pistol and lean heavy on power and the counter in the run game.

gary tells the story about his first year at hc he had to decide to coach as someone else or be himself. he decided if he was going to get fired it was going to be with him being him.

same advice for sonny. run your offense, be you, because right now this isn't working

CountryFrog

I'm not saying Collins isn't better than Delton, maybe he is, but I think he gets a little too much credit by some fans simply because of the fact that he was quite a bit better than Robinson last year. But Collins has actually done very very little to show how good or bad he is and he's been injured for most of the last 12 months. I don't think there's any reason to believe that he's DEFINITELY better than Delton. He might be but it's not like there's a ton of empirical evidence out there to back that up.

Unfortunately for Mike, he got injured at a very inopportune time during camp and now he's in a spot where the starter has clearly been decided on and it's going to be difficult for him to find practice reps unless something happens with Max.

I know it's fun to criticize the staff at every turn as if they have absolutely no idea what they're doing. There are certainly plenty of things that are worthy of criticism, I'm just not buying that this is one of those things myself.

Mean Purple

Doesn’t SC make the QB calls? Perhaps that is part of problem?
GP said he was weighing in more on that this season. Cant imagine a head coach would not. QB is the most important position on the team.

We saw Duggan play amazing for about a quarter and a half yesterday. I dont think ISU was just sitting protect there.

Mean Purple

frogs did a bit in the first half and did in the second and had some success, but it is quite obvious this offense has no identity and there is talent

frogs need to use tempo, they need to throw inside the hashes, and they need to start using the run game to set up attacking in the pass game.

get rid of the damn zone read, run the backs from the pistol and lean heavy on power and the counter in the run game.

gary tells the story about his first year at hc he had to decide to coach as someone else or be himself. he decided if he was going to get fired it was going to be with him being him.

same advice for sonny. run your offense, be you, because right now this isn't working
Yeah, this just doesn't seem like it is what Cumbie would normally call. Those quarter and a half stretches where he turned Max loose and it was more towards tempo were great and Cumbie seemed so on top of it. If we miss a few passes or get the running back caught on the edge, no need to abandon it.

Eight

Yeah, this just doesn't seem like it is what Cumbie would normally call. Those quarter and a half stretches where he turned Max loose and it was more towards tempo were great and Cumbie seemed so on top of it. If we miss a few passes or get the running back caught on the edge, no need to abandon it.

frogs looked like they started the game with an offensive game plan to avoid mistakes and try to grind out a win.

the problem was the defense can't win those type of games right now against a balanced offense.

gary needs to let sonny use the tempo, throw inside the hashes, use darius, play to get a lead and then see if that can make the opponent become one dimensional offensively

Mean Purple

frogs looked like they started the game with an offensive game plan to avoid mistakes and try to grind out a win.

the problem was the defense can't win those type of games right now against a balanced offense.

gary needs to let sonny use the tempo, throw inside the hashes, use darius, play to get a lead and then see if that can make the opponent become one dimensional offensively
Isn't that pretty much what we did in 2014 and 2015? While the defense would get worn a little, it took pressure off of them. We have plenty of talent.

Eight

Isn't that pretty much what we did in 2014 and 2015? While the defense would get worn a little, it took pressure off of them. We have plenty of talent.

fundamentally, we don't have to go completely hunh and i hate the idea of running the same play again and again and again

getting to the line quickly though and attacking, throwing inside the hashes, and hammering with the backs will work but that means the defense might get exposed.