• The KillerFrogs

Mens Hoops vs Central Michigan

netty2424

I didn’t know we had so many hoops experts on this board. We only have a seven man team, pretty much all of our freshmen aren’t very good and Alok is a waste of a scholarship. I’m glad CJD doesn’t feel the way people here do. This team has really gotten solid bench play from kids who had never seen a D1 court until this season. Samuel, Davis, RJ, Alok and Lat have been solid if not great. These guys are getting their feet wet at the highest level and, remember, we’re not relying on them to be difference makers just role players. Alok has been somewhat of a disappointment only because he was rated so highly but after watching some film from his juco time we are asking him to play much differently on the offensive end than he is used to and I think he is thinking instead of playing right now. He just needs to assert himself on both ends and when his confidence climbs he will be fine.

More concerning to me is that the concussion Angus has must be bad because he hasn’t even been on the bench the last two games. I hope it isn’t a persistent problem that limits him for the entire season.
Starts with telling everyone their idiots, then proceeds to act like the people he’s calling an idiot.

And I hate to break it to you, Cal St Bakersfield, Central Michigan, Oral Roberts, Eastern Michigan, etc aren’t “the highest level.”

Alok was the number 1 center in all of JUCO, number 1. The expectations there are instant impact. Period. Anything short of that is disappointing and I can assure you CJD would prefer better production.

No ones saying he can’t get there, but to this point he’s struggled. That’s just facts.

Eight

Doing what your coach asks you to do is not failing. It is a starting point for coaching. Going on the floor every night without contributing anything is failing. Making no aggressive effort is failing. I think this guy has a huge upside but the current path is a loser.

my preference would be to ask him to focus on something productive such as defensive rebounding instead of purposely fouling out, but each to their own

Moose Stuff

I didn’t know we had so many hoops experts on this board. We only have a seven man team, pretty much all of our freshmen aren’t very good and Alok is a waste of a scholarship. I’m glad CJD doesn’t feel the way people here do. This team has really gotten solid bench play from kids who had never seen a D1 court until this season. Samuel, Davis, RJ, Alok and Lat have been solid if not great. These guys are getting their feet wet at the highest level and, remember, we’re not relying on them to be difference makers just role players. Alok has been somewhat of a disappointment only because he was rated so highly but after watching some film from his juco time we are asking him to play much differently on the offensive end than he is used to and I think he is thinking instead of playing right now. He just needs to assert himself on both ends and when his confidence climbs he will be fine.

More concerning to me is that the concussion Angus has must be bad because he hasn’t even been on the bench the last two games. I hope it isn’t a persistent problem that limits him for the entire season.

If you think Alok has been solid then I’m not sure anything else you type is worth reading. I’m not being the least bit harsh when I say he’s literally done almost nothing so far. RJ and Lat have been close to non factors as well. All clearly have some talent, but we need them to start playing like it, especially Alok. We’re gonna be in deep [ Finebaum ] once conference starts in any game where Samuel gets in foul trouble otherwise.

Last edited:

Dogfrog

my preference would be to ask him to focus on something productive such as defensive rebounding instead of purposely fouling out, but each to their own

Maybe unrecognizable to you but there is some tongue in cheek in my comment, but not much. You have a guy that has the athletic ability but seems timid and lost with few signs of aggressiveness. I would much rather see him making aggressive mistakes than what I am seeing so far. That would be a start, a sign of potential. I do think the potential is still there.

Moose Stuff

Maybe unrecognizable to you but there is some tongue in cheek in my comment, but not much. You have a guy that has the athletic ability but seems timid and lost with few signs of aggressiveness. I would much rather see him making aggressive mistakes than what I am seeing so far. That would be a start, a sign of potential. I do think the potential is still there.
I can agree with that. I’d send the kid out there and tell him “go play hard, have an impact, I don’t care if you commit fouls, turn it over, or miss shots..... just go be aggressive”.

Rose Bowl

I’m not saying Alok hasn’t been a disappointment just that it’s early and there’s plenty of time for him to be a good player. My problem is I think some on here believe if a bench guy isn’t scoring a ton of points and getting double digit rebounds he isn’t very good. We NEED Alok to give us more, especially rebounds, but I believe he can. With Archie back from his sickness I think you’ll see him progress and when Mayen gets healthy you will see the bigs be more effective.

All I’m saying is give the team time to acclimate to each other and enjoy the ride. We’re winning games, even if it isn’t as easy as some of you want it to be, so I’m going to trust to CJD to coach the team the way he thinks is right.

Moose Stuff

I’m not saying Alok hasn’t been a disappointment just that it’s early and there’s plenty of time for him to be a good player. My problem is I think some on here believe if a bench guy isn’t scoring a ton of points and getting double digit rebounds he isn’t very good. We NEED Alok to give us more, especially rebounds, but I believe he can. With Archie back from his sickness I think you’ll see him progress and when Mayen gets healthy you will see the bigs be more effective.

All I’m saying is give the team time to acclimate to each other and enjoy the ride. We’re winning games, even if it isn’t as easy as some of you want it to be, so I’m going to trust to CJD to coach the team the way he thinks is right.

This is what you should have typed the first time. Nobody disagrees with this.

Rose Bowl

There’s a really big gap between filling the stat sheet and what a few of our guys are doing.

Here’s where we can discuss things. Alok is not scoring but in his defense how many touches does he get? I don’t think we get Samuel enough touches either but Alok hasn’t figured out what he needs to do to be helpful on the offensive end. His defense has been solid just needs to be more aggressive on that end. The one thing you can say against RJ is he has had too many turnovers but he is being asked to do something that he has never done and that is being a primary ballhandler. He has only taken 27 shots in six games so how can anyone think he should be scoring more is unrealistic. Lat and Kaden haven’t played enough to get a sense how they will be used going forward. Davis and Noi are playing well so I don’t understand why people think we’re not very good. If we were losing I could understand some griping. Like I said before if we’re not getting anything from the bench and losing in February then I will entertain all the criticism that will be coming. Eight new guys on the team and I know it’s going to take time.

May not be a popular opinion but just mine.

CountryFrog

I'm saving all judgment of this team (positive or negative) until Big 12 play. Between the injuries and the youth, we had to expect some early season struggles while guys get into rhythm and the coaches figure out rotations and playing time.

Moose Stuff

Here’s where we can discuss things. Alok is not scoring but in his defense how many touches does he get? I don’t think we get Samuel enough touches either but Alok hasn’t figured out what he needs to do to be helpful on the offensive end. His defense has been solid just needs to be more aggressive on that end. The one thing you can say against RJ is he has had too many turnovers but he is being asked to do something that he has never done and that is being a primary ballhandler. He has only taken 27 shots in six games so how can anyone think he should be scoring more is unrealistic. Lat and Kaden haven’t played enough to get a sense how they will be used going forward. Davis and Noi are playing well so I don’t understand why people think we’re not very good. If we were losing I could understand some griping. Like I said before if we’re not getting anything from the bench and losing in February then I will entertain all the criticism that will be coming. Eight new guys on the team and I know it’s going to take time.

Who on here thinks we aren’t very good???

You keep setting up straw men. I found nothing in the thread but valid criticism. No one is out on the ledge screaming that the team sucks and writing off the year. We need to see better play from the players mentioned because the Frogs will need them and because if the guys can’t play well versus what they have seen so far it does not bode well. I personally think Alok in particular will be fine but he needs to step up. RJ I cannot figure out. He has the tools

westoverhillbilly

Every year, I hold my breath when a new guy comes in hoping they can contribute, sometimes they can and sometimes they can't.. Some just take longer than others.. Alok is an athlete no doubt.. I think he's going to have a breakout game soon..