• The KillerFrogs

Matt Campbell

Big Frog II

Look how many times he has beaten Oklahoma. Pretty amazing for Iowa State. He has done well with less talent. That's the way we use to do it. I don't think he's coming. Probably just angling for a big raise. Still think it will be Moore, Napier, or Dykes.

Diehard

My only hesitation about Matt Campbell is that his talent laden team fell way short of expectations this year. If he is leaving because he is losing many of his top tier talent, then that's a bit of an indictment of his recruiting. Notwithstanding, of all the candidates I think Campbell is the best fit. and pls keep Dan Sharp on staff!
Dan? Is that you?

froginmn

It's not just the head coach that recruits a player you head shaker. There is a lot more that goes into why a kid decides to pick a school and the head coach is just one of the many factors. But let's get this new guy in here quick so we can start grabbing all of these great recruits he is magically going to bring with him.

We were able to get them because we had the name Gary Patterson and the tradition that came with it on our program, we don't have that anymore. So if it's stupid, tell me why and explain to me why any recruit would come to TCU instead of the other Pwr 5 schools in Texas now that GP is gone.

LOL at the bipolarity of these posts.

Toad Jones

Truthfully, I was hesitant, doubtful about TCU selecting a coach that you couldn't pick up at the 5 & 10 cent store. (remember the process of hiring a coach 22 yrs ago) but the talent I see now is pretty good, except one for sure and questions about another.
Would be really interesting to hear what the members are thinking who might be coach? Lots of ears out there on this forum and one or two have very good information.

My only hesitation about Matt Campbell is that his talent laden team fell way short of expectations this year. If he is leaving because he is losing many of his top tier talent, then that's a bit of an indictment of his recruiting. Notwithstanding, of all the candidates I think Campbell is the best fit. and pls keep Dan Sharp on staff!
Iowa State had twice as many yards of offense in their loss to Iowa, but four turnovers versus zero. At Baylor they lost by two but had 200 more yards of offense. At West Virginia they lost 38-31.

Matt Campbell has the best resume of proof of the ones being discussed. I would be pumped to have him. Overachieves relative to recruiting rankings (player development) and his players buy-in to the culture and coaching as evidenced by his team’s low penalty numbers and their winning.

Wexahu

For reference: Campbell at a P5. Not exactly CFP material. But he could do more at another school.
Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12 Conference) (2016–present)
2016Iowa State3–92–79th
2017Iowa State8–55–4T–4thW Liberty
2018Iowa State8–56–3T–3rdL Alamo
2019Iowa State7–65–4T–3rdL Camping World
2020Iowa State9–38–11stW Fiesta99
2021Iowa State6–34–2
Iowa State:41–3130–21
Same argument people use for Campbell they use against Dykes, or at least don't use for him. Unless people think SMU is an easy place to win at, which would be odd because they haven't won jack squat at SMU in more than 35 years.

FWIW, I'd take Campbell in a heartbeat, but I don't think he's a very realistic candidate.