• The KillerFrogs

March Madness Thread

LVH

Let’s hope so

Tech's defense is really good, but they got some VERY favorable officiating in their last 2 games. Yes they play good defense, but a lot of what they do is borderline if not over the line and some refs will call what they do, but the ones this weekend let it slide.

What they do reminds me a lot of Phil Bennett's Baylor defense under Briles. They would commit PI every play and dare the refs to call it every time, and the refs wouldn't

I'm not bitter or anything, just calling it like I see it

AroundWorldFrog

Tech's defense is really good, but they got some VERY favorable officiating in their last 2 games. Yes they play good defense, but a lot of what they do is borderline if not over the line and some refs will call what they do, but the ones this weekend let it slide.

What they do reminds me a lot of Phil Bennett's Baylor defense under Briles. They would commit PI every play and dare the refs to call it every time, and the refs wouldn't

I'm not bitter or anything, just calling it like I see it
What's that old saying about making your own luck? Those guys do it. And no, it's nothing like Bennett's defenses that were cheating, head hunting thugs.

TCUdirtbag

I didn’t think they could keep him but if they somehow won a championship then I think he stays. Let’s hope neither of those happen.

Not sure any better jobs are open/opening. CDC might see if he can poach him, but not sure that really benefits us if he’s just in Austin instead of Lubbock.

Putt4Purple

Chris Beard just took a team that lost 4 starters and was picked to finish 7th in conference to the Final 4. I never want to be criticized again for expecting more from Jamie. Beard is a top 5 coach in the nation.

In understand what your saying but let us have a full bench before you go off. Just saying!

LVH

Chris Beard just took a team that lost 4 starters and was picked to finish 7th in conference to the Final 4. I never want to be criticized again for expecting more from Jamie. Beard is a top 5 coach in the nation.

I said it in the thread the other night but getting 2 major grad transfers helped big time. Is pulling in 2 major grad transfers, that pan out, every offseason sustainable?

LawFrog504

In understand what your saying but let us have a full bench before you go off. Just saying!
It's amazing to me how JD just got a pass for the 4 transfers we had this season. Either we didn't d due diligence in figuring out what type of kids they were or we mismanaged them horribly, but either way it shows a lack of institutional control, and JD is the head of the institution.

MagicFrog

Not sure any better jobs are open/opening. CDC might see if he can poach him, but not sure that really benefits us if he’s just in Austin instead of Lubbock.

Why would he need to go anywhere if he can make the Final Four there? Coaches usually move because they've hit their ceiling or aren't making enough money, and Tech pays him well and they are in the Final Four. I can't see him leaving after that.

LVH

Why would he need to go anywhere if he can make the Final Four there? Coaches usually move because they've hit their ceiling or aren't making enough money, and Tech pays him well and they are in the Final Four. I can't see him leaving after that.

I don't think he leaves Tech, but they are facing a total rebuild after this season. They are losing 5 key players. I know they lost players after last year too, but they were able to plug the holes with Culver, Mooney and Francis. What are the odds of them being able to plug the holes again? They don't recruit at a level where they can just plug in a bunch of freshman like the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world do.

TCUdirtbag

I’m sure he’s about to get a raise but he’s making way less than he should be - $2.8 M this year (plus incentives) but let it settle in that Jamie Dixon makes half a mil more. And Texas can out-pay tech every time.

Edit - FWIW his buyout is 6.2 M for Big 12 schools (UT) and 3.1 M for other conferences. Shaka’s buyout is $13.8 M too so at $20 M just to flip the job plus whatever guarantee and $4.5-5.0M salary they’d have to pay it may be pretty impractical for CDC to make a real run at Beard.

Last edited: