• The KillerFrogs

March Madness Thread

Pharm Frog

That’s my problem with replay in basketball. Lots of times refs let contact go uncalled because they just give possession to the team and move on. But if replay shows otherwise, you can’t go back and call the foul. Exactly what
Happened tonight. They were not calling the foul because they want to give tech the benefit of the fast break, but it backfires and ultimately screws tech.

I don't understand what makes the last two minutes sacrosanct either. If just one call harmed one possession in the prior 18 minutes of the second half, this game wouldn't have gone to overtime. To me this means that we aren't really using replay to get calls correct. We're using it selectively to get some calls correct.

yurintroubl

I agree with this and with the fact that UVA hacks and reaches in on every possession as well. This was being talked about all day long on sports talk radio. My point would be that if you are going to stop the game for 4 minutes to see if a ball went out after being touched by someone's fingernail, you should be able to say wouldn't have happened if the player hadn't been fouled.

That's what happens when you have 2 teams playing defense at all times..... both ends of the court and switching up schemes intelligently throughout. I'm just glad the team from the school with the astronomically higher academic standards beat the the state school with twice the enrollment/idiot fanbase.

These refs screwed up a great game. Guy slipped on his own but he got rewarded free throws.

Then Guy hacks Moretti but the refs take a 5-minute review with disputable evidence and give the ball to Virginia. I guess the storyline was too good to pass up.

Virginia has gotten very lucky all tournament

Good grief, the bitching about officiating on this board is about to drive me away permanently.

PO Frog

I agree with this and with the fact that UVA hacks and reaches in on every possession as well. This was being talked about all day long on sports talk radio. My point would be that if you are going to stop the game for 4 minutes to see if a ball went out after being touched by someone's fingernail, you should be able to say wouldn't have happened if the player hadn't been fouled.
And yet Samuel breathes on a guy wrong and gets whistled. He got called for more fouls when he wasn’t even contesting than anyone I’ve ever seen.
Maybe you just own it and keep hacking. Basically what WVU does and dares you to call it every possession. Seemed to work for TT and UVA.

TooColdU

Good grief, the bitching about officiating on this board is about to drive me away permanently.

I rarely complain about the officials.

Look at this play. Tech was up 3 in OT. Guy gets tripped by his own teammate and they called a foul on Tech that gives Virginia free throws. UVA went on a 11-0 run after that call. That’s a huge shift in momentum.

Last edited:

Christcu

I rarely complain about the officials.

Look at this play. Tech was up 3 in OT. Guy gets tripped by his own teammate and they called a foul on Tech that gives Virginia free throws. UVA ended going on a 11-0 run. That’s a huge shift in momentum.

one of the worst calls in Finals history...

yurintroubl

one of the worst calls in Finals history...

Saints fan here to enjoy the hyperbole.

FWIW - I'm pretty sure Tech players got away with stepping on the endline with ball in hand at least 3 times. Twice for sure in the middle of the 2nd half. I was shocked when the ref actually called it.

froginmn

I said this to my friend at the game last night - the FT shooting by both teams was phenomenal!

Just checked the box score now and they both shot 87% from the stripe.

I don't think that is necessarily always a difference maker between an OK team and a good one but it can be, and it was fun to watch the nice work at the line last night.

ShreveFrog

The call TooColdU shows was big, too. Gave the Hoos an almost automatic 2 points when it should've been Tech ball. I don't know how the official called a foul there. Terrible.

Eight

And yet Samuel breathes on a guy wrong and gets whistled. He got called for more fouls when he wasn’t even contesting than anyone I’ve ever seen.
Maybe you just own it and keep hacking. Basically what WVU does and dares you to call it every possession. Seemed to work for TT and UVA.

if you consistently play that way it seems to be acceptable.

we see it time and time again when you have a team play aggressively on the defensive end and push the limit.

nolan richardson's arkansas teams would continually double team on the trap and the player coming from the back would reach around and slap at the ball simply because they knew there was a point where the officials would stop calling it during the game.

gary payton made a career in the nba out of hand checking and yes tech and uva do it with the best of anyone in the country. what i found most interesting about uva was the way the one play would dribble with the opposite arm extended out to clear space.

do i know that tech wins if the proper call is made when one uva player trips another and ball goes out of bounds and tech should have the ball with a chance to go up 2 possessions? no, but to say it had no impact is one of those points that can't be proven either way and it is just unfortunate that after the game we end up again with conversation about a couple of missed calls instead of the game.

finally, if culver doesn't realize after these last two games he needs to stay in school and develop an outside shot i don't know what to tell him.

in college he is a very good 6' 4-5" athlete who can get to the rim, but in the nba without a jumper he is just another guy.

Last edited:

Realtorfrog

These refs screwed up a great game. Guy slipped on his own but he got rewarded free throws.

Then Guy hacks Moretti but the refs take a 5-minute review with disputable evidence and give the ball to Virginia. I guess the storyline was too good to pass up.

Virginia has gotten very lucky all tournament

Yeah the announcers loved the getting beat by a 16 seed to Champs, as did the refs