• The KillerFrogs

Looks like they bench pressed today

Houston Frog

This may be a joke Maniac, but Steel doubts it.

Steel had a 1,600+ pound combined lift back in The Day, at 100 kilo body weight. 27 reps 225. 380 power clean. And guess what: It was a big F-ing waste of time! The payoff is a bunch of bulk that is hard to get off later in life, stiff knees and shoulders, etc. Illini, you should take some serious advice and go with endurance training, only high rep weightlifting, lots of stretching, etc. Your body will thank you in 15 years.

And the numbers quoted for the TCU players are definitely for real and frankly fairly easily achievable with work and the right diet.

Yeah, I've never really understood trying to get huge unless you are still involved in sports. I understand trying to be physically fit and what not, but why in the hell would I do a bunch of squats at the age of 29? I'm not trying to blow any defensive ends off the line of scrimmage these days, and I don't think chicks are gonna throw themselves at me cause I have giant thigh muscles?

TCURiggs

Yeah, I've never really understood trying to get huge unless you are still involved in sports. I understand trying to be physically fit and what not, but why in the hell would I do a bunch of squats at the age of 29? I'm not trying to blow any defensive ends off the line of scrimmage these days, and I don't think chicks are gonna throw themselves at me cause I have giant thigh muscles?

I don't know man, chicks dig thigh muscles...trust me.

Jesus Christ... How in the world were you pushing 305 at only 5'7 175?

Hahaha...I'm built like a danged brick. My shoulders wide. My arms are short. I have a barrel chest. Getting fitted for a tux is miserable. I'm usually a 48-50 and they then have to take it up half a foot at the bottom. Ascot hated me last year when I had to go there for three different occassions. That's just how bodies go.

I haven't benched since my freshman year at TCU (eleven years ago), but I'm pretty sure I could still do my body weight (if not I'd be embarrassed)..... I'd be willing to bet more than 5% of men can put up their body weight.

How about chin-ups? I still can't do one to save my life. My dad is the chin-up king. We're the same height and body type. I'm a bit bigger and stronger but I had to have help to complete one and he rolled of 25 at 56.

I understand trying to be physically fit and what not, but why in the hell would I do a bunch of squats at the age of 29? I'm not trying to blow any defensive ends off the line of scrimmage these days, and I don't think chicks are gonna throw themselves at me cause I have giant thigh muscles?

I gave up squats 2 years ago. I'm flat footed and my knees are about worn out. I said eff it...squats are a young man's game. I'm too old for this crap. I still leg press but it's not the same thing.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I have heard that the latest performance enhancing substance is...
theyre-happy-because-they-eat-lard1.jpg

I heard Jugband is into some stuff called "manteca."

InterestedObserver

This may be a joke Maniac, but Steel doubts it.

Steel had a 1,600+ pound combined lift back in The Day, at 100 kilo body weight. 27 reps 225. 380 power clean. And guess what: It was a big F-ing waste of time! The payoff is a bunch of bulk that is hard to get off later in life, stiff knees and shoulders, etc. Illini, you should take some serious advice and go with endurance training, only high rep weightlifting, lots of stretching, etc. Your body will thank you in 15 years.

And the numbers quoted for the TCU players are definitely for real and frankly fairly easily achievable with work and the right diet.

Good advice.

I lifted heavy weights until I was in my early 30's and the damage it did to my body far outweighs any benefit I got from the activity.

And some smaller guys can be extremely strong. There was a guy in Fort Worth back in the mid-late 80's that supposedly held the World Record for bench press at something like 775 pounds. I saw the guy lifting at the old Balloons Gym one time and he was probably 5'7" and while very muscular, we wasn't all that "big".

Houston Frog

Good advice.

I lifted heavy weights until I was in my early 30's and the damage it did to my body far outweighs any benefit I got from the activity.

And some smaller guys can be extremely strong. There was a guy in Fort Worth back in the mid-late 80's that supposedly held the World Record for bench press at something like 775 pounds. I saw the guy lifting at the old Balloons Gym one time and he was probably 5'7" and while very muscular, we wasn't all that "big".

Actually, being short isn't a disadvantage at all when it comes to bench press. The shorter your arms, the shorter distance you have to push the weight. Obviously, being a bigger/heavier overall person is advantageuous, but all other things being equal, having a squatty build can help.

Good advice.

I blew out my shoulder two years ago lifting heavy. Now I do a variation of the burst method. Lighter weight but high intesity reps for 30-40 sec. I've maintained my size and overall strength doing this. Wish I had known about it about 5 years earlier. I feel better than I have in years.

I knew a guy who was my size that benched over 500. Don't know how he did it but he knew the guy you were talking about and he said he wasn't much bigger than we were. I will say this, doing something like this requires just as much mental strength as it does physical.

jack the frog

Actually, being short isn't a disadvantage at all when it comes to bench press. The shorter your arms, the shorter distance you have to push the weight. Obviously, being a bigger/heavier overall person is advantageuous, but all other things being equal, having a squatty build can help.

That's for sure. Outside of the serious athlete category the short armed guy always has an advantage at bp. I wear a 37 sleeve and my bench has always been girlie man compared to some of those I work out with. I can still press 225 17 times at 47 yo though. Not too bad!

illini_frog

That's for sure. Outside of the serious athlete category the short armed guy always has an advantage at bp. I wear a 37 sleeve and my bench has always been girlie man compared to some of those I work out with. I can still press 225 17 times at 47 yo though. Not too bad!

That's awesome. Good for you. Could beat me up for sure.

cdsfrog

I cant even do it once.....

Me = feeble when it comes arm strength. I need to do more strength training and not just run.

RaiderHater

I'd probably put the figure closer to 25%, mostly due to the obese nature of the average American.

25%!!! Maybe 25% of the males at TCU. I consider my self to be in decent shape and I can't even bench my own weight (weigh 195 can only bench about 185). I work at a small company with about 40 males and off the top of my head only about 2 could bench their own weight.

Just walk around a wal-mart or an airport and there are very few people who work out. I'd probably say If you took every US male 18-65 only 1-2% could bench their weight.

cdsfrog

[Craig James] push-ups, the ultimate show of strength

suck at those too. Just did it a day ago, did 30. Not sure I could much more in a row without dying :biggrin:

Used to be able to do 75 in a row....back when I wasnt lazy. Even that isnt great.

pastorfrog

Maybe I'm just a hater, but I just have trouble believing that many guys bench 500+.

I'm a decent sized guy, and I lift hard, and I can get 265 at a bodyweight of 230.

Now I'm far from a D1 Athlete's level, and was born with less natural athletic ability than Rudy, but I just dunno....just seem a little "too" freaky good to me.

I could be wrong, but color me skeptical. Strength & Conditioning can be a very deceiving business at sometimes.

Bro...I played high school football at 215 pounds as a guard and I benched 350 my Senior year. 500 sounds about right.