• The KillerFrogs

Looks like they bench pressed today

jack the frog

Notes of TCU lifting success:
1) Spend ~12-15 hours in the weight room per week, not including practice
2) Every second of each of those hours is pure concentration on the lifting at hand, lest be called a myriad of names by Coach Sommer (my favorite being Sally)
3) Concentrate on all muscle groups, not just the main ones. Hell hath no fury like trying to hold 12 lb. sledgehammers from the bottom of the handle out a full arms length from the side.
4) When not in the weightroom, eat as much protein as possible. If you're full, keep eating.

I believe it.
I spend 14 hours a week at my gym around a core of maybe a dozen pretty serious builders. These guys are from 20 to 40 years of age. I would bet every one can bench 400 and I know several off-hand that have a legit 500 to 550. Just a matter of how serious you want to be.

mrnicefrog

When I played football in high school there were a few guys (lineman) that could bench 400+. None of them went on to play D1 football. So I have no problem believing every lineman at a top 10 D1 program can do over 500. In fact, I would expect it.

Illini
I am just a regular guy who goes 230 ish and can bench 375. I lift on average of once a week so these numbers are very believable. I spent a summer working out with tcu strength coach when the remodel was going on and those guys are amazing(players and coaches). I thought I was strong and skinny db's and wide outs made me feel super weak.

Very believable. At 25 when I was just casually working out I pushed 305 at 5'7", 175. At 28 I hit it hard and got 345 at 195. I haven't benched with any regularity since then, mainly b/c at my age there just isn't any need to, but at 33 and 215 I threw up 275 a few weeks ago. I nearly died but I took some pride in the fact that I could still bench my weight. If I could do that at 25 without any professional help there's no doubt that determined young men like Dean could do much more than I.

mrnicefrog

that there are guys across the country that are just trying to crack the starting lineup that are taking some type of banned substance.

You are a moron.

Just because your a weakling that benches 120, doesn't mean that people who bench 500+ are on some sort of substance. It's called hard work.

FrogAbroad

59940997-M.jpg

illini_frog

Just don't be ignorant either. PEDs are all over the place. Not even close to everyone uses them, but it's significantly more than a handful.

Notes of TCU lifting success:
1) Spend ~12-15 hours in the weight room per week, not including practice
2) Every second of each of those hours is pure concentration on the lifting at hand, lest be called a myriad of names by Coach Sommer (my favorite being Sally)
3) Concentrate on all muscle groups, not just the main ones. Hell hath no fury like trying to hold 12 lb. sledgehammers from the bottom of the handle out a full arms length from the side.
4) When not in the weightroom, eat as much protein as possible. If you're full, keep eating.

Only problem is the protein. Your body can only process so much a day. I've seen guys try to eat 120 grams a day at 250 and end up crapping out 30, occassionally while underneath a squat rack. They end up with perinial hernia (I think that's what it's called). Happened to me once...and once was enough to keep track of how much I ate on a daily basis. Just count the grams and you'll be fine. A little much is ok but don't try to do it like some meatheads do.

EEFrog

Only problem is the protein. Your body can only process so much a day. I've seen guys try to eat 120 grams a day at 250 and end up crapping out 30, occassionally while underneath a squat rack. They end up with perinial hernia (I think that's what it's called). Happened to me once...and once was enough to keep track of how much I ate on a daily basis. Just count the grams and you'll be fine. A little much is ok but don't try to do it like some meatheads do.

As far as I know, there is no connection between protein intake and perineal hernias. Perineal hernias are caused by a weakening of the muscle walls of the perineum, known to most people outside the medical world as the "taint".

And when you're doing strenuous exercise on a continual basis, the baseline I've always heard from lifters, coaches, and dietitians alike is 0.8 to 1.0 grams of protein per pound of body weight daily. For your average 200 lb male, that comes out to 160 to 200 grams of protein per day, or in terms of calories, 640 to 800 calories per day from protein alone. I don't know about you, but I find it awfully hard to shove 5 cans of tuna down my gullet in a single day along with all the other foods you need to eat to keep a balanced diet.

davejerg1221

You are a moron.

Just because your a weakling that benches 120, doesn't mean that people who bench 500+ are on some sort of substance. It's called hard work.

120 is generous. I maxed out at 95 today at lunch.

Not sure how having people tell me that they did steroids while playing D1 football, and how easy it is to get around the tests, makes me a moron. I bet you're a fan of the Power Team

monkeyfishfrog

Actually, the protein recommendation is 0.8 to 1 g/kg per day. So for a 200lb male that's more like 75-90 grams per day.

Body builders, etc. rarely follow this guideline, but that's what it is.

EEFrog

Actually, the protein recommendation is 0.8 to 1 g/kg per day. So for a 200lb male that's more like 75-90 grams per day.

That's the daily recommendation for a sedentary person. Just like BMI doesn't work for athletes, neither do daily recommended nutrition guidelines.

illini_frog

Lol. You say that like it's such a well-accepted fact. It's a pretty widely debated issue, debated by experts nevertheless.

Most lifters can safely shoot for about 1g of protein per 1lb of BW with some room for extra or less.

EDIT: What EEFrog said.

teamfast1

I worked only 1 season under Coach Sommer and when the season started I was maybe good for 185, 4 months later I was doing multiple reps of 225. Its the program, you can't explain it until you walk in the weight room and compete each day for 2 hours (and thats after practice).

Far more impressive than the Bench Press is the explosive lifting programs, the cleans & jerks. If you take even the 2nd and 3rd string guys, take a peek at their shoulders and that will tell the story. We have one of the most consistent and well coached Strength and Conditioning programs around.

If I'm not mistaking, in 2003 the entire starting team could bench over 400, including kicker (nick browne) and punter.

cdsfrog

I worked only 1 season under Coach Sommer and when the season started I was maybe good for 185, 4 months later I was doing multiple reps of 225. Its the program, you can't explain it until you walk in the weight room and compete each day for 2 hours (and thats after practice).

Far more impressive than the Bench Press is the explosive lifting programs, the cleans & jerks. If you take even the 2nd and 3rd string guys, take a peek at their shoulders and that will tell the story. We have one of the most consistent and well coached Strength and Conditioning programs around.

If I'm not mistaking, in 2003 the entire starting team could bench over 400, including kicker (nick browne) and punter.

probably. The quarterback certainly could. Squatted over 600 lbs

TCURiggs

As far as I know, there is no connection between protein intake and perineal hernias. Perineal hernias are caused by a weakening of the muscle walls of the perineum, known to most people outside the medical world as the "taint".

It's never good to blow your innards out of your taint...I've always said that.