• The KillerFrogs

Looks like they bench pressed today

TCURiggs

This...TRUST me

The+Magic+Clap+Visit+my+profile+for+more+funny+junk_28d6cd_280805.gif

TCURiggs

Maybe I'm just a hater, but I just have trouble believing that many guys bench 500+.

I'm a decent sized guy, and I lift hard, and I can get 265 at a bodyweight of 230.

Now I'm far from a D1 Athlete's level, and was born with less natural athletic ability than Rudy, but I just dunno....just seem a little "too" freaky good to me.

I could be wrong, but color me skeptical. Strength & Conditioning can be a very deceiving business at sometimes.

Sounds like you're a hater. Get off the shake weights, big boy.

fat+guy+shake+weight+guy+uses+shake+weight+to+idk_fe36d3_1153790.gif

lonestarfrog89

Very believable. At 25 when I was just casually working out I pushed 305 at 5'7", 175. At 28 I hit it hard and got 345 at 195. I haven't benched with any regularity since then, mainly b/c at my age there just isn't any need to, but at 33 and 215 I threw up 275 a few weeks ago. I nearly died but I took some pride in the fact that I could still bench my weight. If I could do that at 25 without any professional help there's no doubt that determined young men like Dean could do much more than I.

Jesus Christ... How in the world were you pushing 305 at only 5'7 175?

TCURiggs

biggrin.gif

I can laugh at that, because I'd say 95% of the American population can't bench their bodyweight.

I have no clue what that actual percentage is, but I'd be shocked if it was that high. Much like your boy maniac, I feel that you might be overestimating your own ability and underestimating others.

mrnicefrog

I worked only 1 season under Coach Sommer and when the season started I was maybe good for 185, 4 months later I was doing multiple reps of 225. Its the program, you can't explain it until you walk in the weight room and compete each day for 2 hours (and thats after practice).

Far more impressive than the Bench Press is the explosive lifting programs, the cleans & jerks. If you take even the 2nd and 3rd string guys, take a peek at their shoulders and that will tell the story. We have one of the most consistent and well coached Strength and Conditioning programs around.

If I'm not mistaking, in 2003 the entire starting team could bench over 400, including kicker (nick browne) and punter.

Oh, so it was hard work, not PEDs? Shocking. :wacko:

illini_frog

I have no clue what that actual percentage is, but I'd be shocked if it was that high. Much like your boy maniac, I feel that you might be overestimating your own ability and underestimating others.

1) Don't EVER compare me to him.

2) Feel free to meet me at the TCU Rec Center in a few weeks once school starts. I'll probably be there around 2pm. I'm not a stud by any stretch of the imagination, but I think you may actually gain some respect for me. I'm hoping to total 1000 pounds between deadlift, squat, and bench by the end of the year, something not many lifters ever do.

Also, I score about a 230-240 on the Army Physical Fitness Test, if you want to look that up for reference. It's as good a true gauge of fitness that exists today.

(end Internet tough guy talk)

TCURiggs

1) Don't EVER compare me to him.

2) Feel free to meet me at the TCU Rec Center in a few weeks once school starts. I'll probably be there around 2pm. I'm not a stud by any stretch of the imagination, but I think you may actually gain some respect for me. I'm hoping to total 1000 pounds between deadlift, squat, and bench by the end of the year, something not many lifters ever do.

(also, I score about a 230-240 on the Army Physical Fitness Test, if you want to look that up for reference)

(end Internet tough guy talk)

..and the rookie has been drawn offsides. Sweet stats though, brah.

Houston Frog

I haven't benched since my freshman year at TCU (eleven years ago), but I'm pretty sure I could still do my body weight (if not I'd be embarrassed)..... I'd be willing to bet more than 5% of men can put up their body weight.

EEFrog

I haven't benched since my freshman year at TCU (eleven years ago), but I'm pretty sure I could still do my body weight (if not I'd be embarrassed)..... I'd be willing to bet more than 5% of men can put up their body weight.

I'd probably put the figure closer to 25%, mostly due to the obese nature of the average American.

tcumaniac

I don't have time to join in on this awesome thread.... I'd love to get fully involved in this discussion but I'm just too busy with work and summer school....

However, I'd just like to say this... Illini is the the mother f-ing funniest guy in the world to watch in the weight room.... he walks around barefoot and does a set of reps about every 20 minutes... I can do a full body workout in the time it takes illini to do 3 sets of squats... I'll be like "dude... why are you just standing there?? you haven't done anything for 10 minutes..." and he'll respond saying something about how it's good to have a 20 minute break in between....

rolleyes.gif

jake102

However, I'd just like to say this... Illini is the the mother f-ing funniest guy in the world to watch in the weight room.... he walks around barefoot and does a set of reps about every 20 minutes... I can do a full body workout in the time it takes illini to do 3 sets of squats... I'll be like "dude... why are you just standing there?? you haven't done anything for 10 minutes..." and he'll respond saying something about how it's good to have a 20 minute break in between....

I don't know how people have time for this. Well nevermind, I guess I did freshman and sophomore year.

But the people who work out two, three hours a day once they are beyond college amaze me. I don't know where they find the time.

steelfrog

Tier 1
I don't have time to join in on this awesome thread.... I'd love to get fully involved in this discussion but I'm just too busy with work and summer school....

rolleyes.gif
This may be a joke Maniac, but Steel doubts it.

Steel had a 1,600+ pound combined lift back in The Day, at 100 kilo body weight. 27 reps 225. 380 power clean. And guess what: It was a big F-ing waste of time! The payoff is a bunch of bulk that is hard to get off later in life, stiff knees and shoulders, etc. Illini, you should take some serious advice and go with endurance training, only high rep weightlifting, lots of stretching, etc. Your body will thank you in 15 years.

And the numbers quoted for the TCU players are definitely for real and frankly fairly easily achievable with work and the right diet.