• The KillerFrogs

Looks like they bench pressed today

jake102

Reading up on the latest happenings in the NFL on twitter and some of the TCU players posted... kind of creepy, but mind boggling also. I remember someone saying last year that our offensive line benched an average of over 500 or something with Cannon at 575 or something ridiculous. So this kind of reminded me of that.

Dean benched 420... said he wants to get to 500

David Porter benched 235... Boyce told him he is weak. Apparently that was the highest bench for the freshman WR

Oh and he mentioned that the entire Offensive and Defensive line is in the 500 club. Insane.

illini_frog

Maybe I'm just a hater, but I just have trouble believing that many guys bench 500+.

I'm a decent sized guy, and I lift hard, and I can get 265 at a bodyweight of 230.

Now I'm far from a D1 Athlete's level, and was born with less natural athletic ability than Rudy, but I just dunno....just seem a little "too" freaky good to me.

I could be wrong, but color me skeptical. Strength & Conditioning can be a very deceiving business at sometimes.

lonestarfrog89

Maybe I'm just a hater, but I just have trouble believing that many guys bench 500+.

I'm a decent sized guy, and I lift hard, and I can get 265 at a bodyweight of 230.

Now I'm far from a D1 Athlete's level, and was born with less natural athletic ability than Rudy, but I just dunno....just seem a little "too" freaky good to me.

I could be wrong, but color me skeptical. Strength & Conditioning can be a very deceiving business at sometimes.

We have an incredible strength and conditioning coach. Even you working out hard probably doesn't compare to how hard they work these guys.

illini_frog

We have an incredible strength and conditioning coach. Even you working out hard probably doesn't compare to how hard they work these guys.

And I absolutely believe that.

But the players are also human beings. I've seen some of our younger guys in the Rec, and they are strong as hell, but not THAT super-human strong. I could be wrong, and may just be too skeptical, but there's a reason that guys on weightlifting forums post videos of their personal record lifts if they are going to brag about them. That's all I'm saying.

And I absolutely believe that.

But the players are also human beings. I've seen some of our younger guys in the Rec, and they are strong as hell, but not THAT super-human strong. I could be wrong, and may just be too skeptical, but there's a reason that guys on weightlifting forums post videos of their personal record lifts if they are going to brag about them. That's all I'm saying.

Why don't you just go to the night of champions when they host it? Its free to the public.

kidkarr

Illini
I am just a regular guy who goes 230 ish and can bench 375. I lift on average of once a week so these numbers are very believable. I spent a summer working out with tcu strength coach when the remodel was going on and those guys are amazing(players and coaches). I thought I was strong and skinny db's and wide outs made me feel super weak.

jake102

Paea can only max out at 550 supposably. It does make me a little skeptical if he can do 49 reps and shatter the record, bench 550lbs, then how our entire O and D line can bench 500

illini_frog

Illini
I am just a regular guy who goes 230 ish and can bench 375. I lift on average of once a week so these numbers are very believable. I spent a summer working out with tcu strength coach when the remodel was going on and those guys are amazing(players and coaches). I thought I was strong and skinny db's and wide outs made me feel super weak.

A 3 star o-line recruit, who is my age, (sophomore/redshirt freshman) next year, is listed on rivals as having a 285 bench, which is pretty damn good for a high school senior.

You're telling me he has put on 215lbs to that in a year?

Like I said, I'm not saying it's impossible, but color me skeptical.

And, just curious, how'd you pull that off? Getting to lift with our S&C guys? Do you have a connection of some sort?

davejerg1221

There is no doubt in my mind that college athletes, in general, are on PED's. Maybe our team is clean, but I know for a fact that when I was in school ('03 - '07) that there were a handful of guys juicing. Had a friend who played for Nebraska and he said the same thing. Some guys are freaks, but you can bet your [Craig James] that there are guys across the country that are just trying to crack the starting lineup that are taking some type of banned substance.

HFrog1999

A 3 star o-line recruit, who is my age, (sophomore/redshirt freshman) next year, is listed on rivals as having a 285 bench, which is pretty damn good for a high school senior.

And, just curious, how'd you pull that off? Getting to lift with our S&C guys? Do you have a connection of some sort?
I wish they still did the public weight competition after spring practices. I went and guys that look skinny are strong as hell. It's amazing the weight those guys can throw up. I was there when Blake broke the squat record.

EEFrog

I came into TCU at 6'2, 185 lbs with a bench max of 250 lbs. One year with Coach Sommer, I dropped down to 175 lbs in weight, but my bench skyrocketed to 375 lbs. If my frame can put on that much weight in one year, someone who is more predisposed to lifting heavier should have no problem.

You probably wouldn't believe it if someone told you one of our guys used to squat near 800 lbs, but watching Jared Kesler in the weightroom back in the day, I can vouch for it. And he went full "[Craig James] to grass" too.

illini_frog

I came into TCU at 6'2, 185 lbs with a bench max of 250 lbs. One year with Coach Sommer, I dropped down to 175 lbs in weight, but my bench skyrocketed to 375 lbs. If my frame can put on that much weight in one year, someone who is more predisposed to lifting heavier should have no problem.

You probably wouldn't believe it if someone told you one of our guys used to squat near 800 lbs, but watching Jared Kesler in the weightroom back in the day, I can vouch for it. And he went full "[Craig James] to grass" too.

That's ridiculous. As soon as you started claiming squat numbers, I was already getting ready to ask, "but was it [Craig James] to grass?" And sure enough, it was. Ridiculous.

I absolutely must get my hands on his bench training program then.

cdsfrog

Normal athletes with special conditiioned teams rarely can do much more than their body weight. However even my cousin who played D1 soccer could do 275 pounds and weighed under 160.

Most of lineman are 300 lbs, doing 500+ lbs is not unlike. My trainer back when I wasnt lazy benched 415 easily, weighing 225. Just like some guys can legpress a small car, others can't even do 600 lbs. At my peak I could do over a 900 lbs, and I was weak as hell in comparison to the rest of the elite soccer players

265 lbs is impressive......but remember the top nfl performer did 49 reps of 225.

Cannon did 33 times. That's insane

EEFrog

That's ridiculous. As soon as you started claiming squat numbers, I was already getting ready to ask, "but was it [Craig James] to grass?" And sure enough, it was. Ridiculous.

I absolutely must get my hands on his bench training program then.

Notes of TCU lifting success:
1) Spend ~12-15 hours in the weight room per week, not including practice
2) Every second of each of those hours is pure concentration on the lifting at hand, lest be called a myriad of names by Coach Sommer (my favorite being Sally)
3) Concentrate on all muscle groups, not just the main ones. Hell hath no fury like trying to hold 12 lb. sledgehammers from the bottom of the handle out a full arms length from the side.
4) When not in the weightroom, eat as much protein as possible. If you're full, keep eating.

illini_frog

Notes of TCU lifting success:
1) Spend ~12-15 hours in the weight room per week, not including practice
2) Every second of each of those hours is pure concentration on the lifting at hand, lest be called a myriad of names by Coach Sommer (my favorite being Sally)
3) Concentrate on all muscle groups, not just the main ones. Hell hath no fury like trying to hold 12 lb. sledgehammers from the bottom of the handle out a full arms length from the side.
4) When not in the weightroom, eat as much protein as possible. If you're full, keep eating.

Check your PM