• The KillerFrogs

Looking forward to tomorrow night's game

Dogfrog

Ugh.
Everyone [ hundin] ed in the pre-BCS days because everything was decided by writers. Everyone [ hundin] ed in the BCS era because computers decided things. Everyone [hundinnen ] now because not enough teams are involved. Do you really think people will stop complaining when we have an 8-team playoff, their favorite team is virtually never involved, and the 1st round games are a bunch of uncompetitive blowouts?

You work way, way, way too hard at this. I just don’t see any way you don’t have a vested interest.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Well, I’m looking forward to it. I’m rooting for LSU. That burrow story is a good one. I haven’t looked forward to many of the cfp championship games. But I am on this one.

Btw, my old man is having knee replacement tomorrow. Looks like I’ll be watching at seton hospital in the ATX with him. He’ll be out of it with the pain meds but I’ll be there to hang with him.
You're a good son. Hope your dad comes through it with no problems.

Wexahu

Ugh.

You work way, way, way too hard at this. I just don’t see any way you don’t have a vested interest.

I think virtually everyone agrees that the two best teams are playing tomorrow night for the championship, and one of them is in the CFP for the first time, and that just isn't interesting to a lot of people. OK, fair enough.

Would people be more interested in this game if LSU and Clemson had beaten up on Oregon and Memphis a couple weeks ago? I doubt it. Maybe we should go back to no playoff, let the AP voters decide a champion, and end the season on Jan 1 with the four major bowls. Everyone seemed to despise that for years and years, but it's gotta be better than this I guess.

flyfishingfrog

When I was at TCU we were in the SWC and the student section was about 10% full for home games. Especially when we played Rice and Houston. In fact, I don’t really even remember a student section. If that was the good days of TCU and college football, I’d just as soon not go back there.

Our memories are quite different.
I notice you keep bringing up Houston and Rice and ignore that we also don’t play Aggy, Arky anymore because of conference realignment in the name of tv viewership - Plus Houston didn’t even join the SWC until 76 and still had 6-7 ranked seasons - so frankly they were better than TCU during their time as a SWC team. Our attendance was bad because we were bad and our fans didn’t support the team - not because our competition - unlike now where even we are good no one shows up for FCS teams and Kansas.

but I never said I wanted to the SWC back - I want a system that doesn’t trade money for the tradition of college football and old rivalry games while delivering no real difference in the results - a few teams with any shot at the championship. There is no more parity in college football than before all the money.

And it’s a lot bigger than TCU - look how seldom some teams with 100 years of tradition that are in the same conference play each other because of divisions. Divisions that were created to get conferences bigger for TV revenue that hasn’t helped the majority of schools be any more competitive than before really

and caused schools to run to unnatural alignments in pursuit of the night dollar- Missouri in the SEC, Nebraska in the B10, WVU in the B12

no more UT/Aggy, Kansas/Missouri, Pitt/WVU or Penn St, OU/Nebraska each year

it has got to suck to be a Rutgers, Maryland, Vandy, Arky fan - but at least you get to watch your team get killed in a really nice stadium each week - if you bother to show up

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

I think virtually everyone agrees that the two best teams are playing tomorrow night for the championship, and one of them is in the CFP for the first time, and that just isn't interesting to a lot of people. OK, fair enough.

Would people be more interested in this game if LSU and Clemson had beaten up on Oregon and Memphis a couple weeks ago? I doubt it. Maybe we should go back to no playoff, let the AP voters decide a champion, and end the season on Jan 1 with the four major bowls. Everyone seemed to despise that for years and years, but it's gotta be better than this I guess.
Man you are missing the point

the regular season is boring now - why? Because of the CFP

Weak schedules, FCS teams, playing oppponents you don’t care about, a few teams killing everyone else - all in pursuit of a dream that you might pull a miracle, win your conference and get a shot at the CFP, but its a lie because unless you go undefeated it won’t happen if you aren’t one of the regulars

and you won’t go undefeated with the recruiting imbalances

Wexahu

Man you are missing the point

the regular season is boring now - why? Because of the CFP

Weak schedules, FCS teams, playing oppponents you don’t care about, a few teams killing everyone else - all in pursuit of a dream that you might pull a miracle, win your conference and get a shot at the CFP, but its a lie because unless you go undefeated it won’t happen if you aren’t one of the regulars

and you won’t go undefeated with the recruiting imbalances

Your third paragraph I agree with in a lot of ways but the last sentence is a lie. Baylor would have been a CFP team this year had they beat OU in the CCG, and that’s with an awful OOC schedule and a loss (and really not even that great a team). This idea that only certain teams can lose games is an absolute lie.

flyfishingfrog

Your third paragraph I agree with in a lot of ways but the last sentence is a lie. Baylor would have been a CFP team this year had they beat OU in the CCG, and that’s with an awful OOC schedule and a loss (and really not even that great a team). This idea that only certain teams can lose games is an absolute lie.
Woulda, shoulda, coulda - but it never happens

that is the lie that keeps the CFP alive and people Like you backing it

if a G5 team goes undefeated and three conference champs have two losses...oh wait that. never happens

if the 4 loss Missouri Tigers win the SEC championship no SEC team will get in - oh wait that never happens either

150 years of college football pretty much prove that no matter the story - only a few stand a chance so sacrificing the tradition of the game for everyone is eventually going to kill the game overall

Wexahu

I notice you keep bringing up Houston and Rice and ignore that we also don’t play Aggy, Arky anymore because of conference realignment in the name of tv viewership - Plus Houston didn’t even join the SWC until 76 and still had 6-7 ranked seasons - so frankly they were better than TCU during their time as a SWC team. Our attendance was bad because we were bad and our fans didn’t support the team - not because our competition - unlike now where even we are good no one shows up for FCS teams and Kansas.

but I never said I wanted to the SWC back - I want a system that doesn’t trade money for the tradition of college football and old rivalry games while delivering no real difference in the results - a few teams with any shot at the championship. There is no more parity in college football than before all the money.

And it’s a lot bigger than TCU - look how seldom some teams with 100 years of tradition that are in the same conference play each other because of divisions. Divisions that were created to get conferences bigger for TV revenue that hasn’t helped the majority of schools be any more competitive than before really

and caused schools to run to unnatural alignments in pursuit of the night dollar- Missouri in the SEC, Nebraska in the B10, WVU in the B12

no more UT/Aggy, Kansas/Missouri, Pitt/WVU or Penn St, OU/Nebraska each year

it has got to suck to be a Rutgers, Maryland, Vandy, Arky fan - but at least you get to watch your team get killed in a really nice stadium each week - if you bother to show up

Texas A&M has beaten us the last 24 times we played them while we were "rivals". Our record against Arkansas wasn't a whole lot better when we were "rivals". I'd say the current structure has been good for TCU overall.

And people do show up for our games when we are good (we weren't good the last couple years). In 2014, 2015 and 2017 I was there for some pretty good crowds. Granted, the fact the every game is on TV makes that a bit more challenging but generally I'm glad the games are televised, I'd hate to have to listen to most of the road games on the radio. And yes, it's unfortunate that some teams don't play each other every year like they used to but that doesn't really impact TCU much.

It's almost like you're frustrated with the built-in advantages other teams have over us (that aren't going away btw) and just want to vent about it.

PurpleBlood87

We also play WVU, Iowa St, Kansas, KSU and an FCS team every year for no other reason than television money - do you really feel like our fan base is truly invested in the outcome of those games more than they were when we played Houston in the old days?

Is playing OU and OSU more meaningful to our fans are than playing Aggy and Arkansas was in the past?

can you imagine being an WVU fan? Besides money are they am better off than we were in CUSA?

TCU plays a FCS school because CGP remembers his time coaching at that level and knows how much a payday like playing TCU will do for the FCS programs finances.

flyfishingfrog

TCU plays a FCS school because CGP remembers his time coaching at that level and knows how much a payday like playing TCU will do for the FCS programs finances.
Such a nice story - he has told me that one also

and it is true to the extent that the current system encourages us to do it since there is no real penalty for it and the belief that undefeated is attainable and get us in the big game continues to exist

but again if it hurt our chances or we realized the system was rigged and scheduled to maximize support for the program- we would stop

Wexahu

Such a nice story - he has told me that one also

and it is true to the extent that the current system encourages us to do it since there is no real penalty for it and the belief that undefeated is attainable and get us in the big game continues to exist

but again if it hurt our chances or we realized the system was rigged and scheduled to maximize support for the program- we would stop

The FCS games stink and need to go away IMO. They are played because the coach likes a gimme win. Period.

But literally every person who follows college football knows that if Baylor had beaten OU in the CCG they would have made the playoff. That's with a loss AND a terrible OOC schedule (and even a couple controversial wins on top of that). Hell, even defeatist Baylor fans would concede that they were a overtime win away from making it. And yet since they lost you can now conveniently say they would have never made it so you can keep the myth alive that the "system is rigged".

It's really, really hard for a non blue-blood to make the playoff because generally they don't recruit as well or have as deep and as talented of rosters. It's even harder for them to go undefeated for the same reason. I get that. But it's entirely possible for both things to happen, it just doesn't happen near enough to satisfy people. But nobody has "rigged the system" to keep anyone out.

flyfishingfrog

Texas A&M has beaten us the last 24 times we played them while we were "rivals". Our record against Arkansas wasn't a whole lot better when we were "rivals". I'd say the current structure has been good for TCU overall.

And people do show up for our games when we are good (we weren't good the last couple years). In 2014, 2015 and 2017 I was there for some pretty good crowds. Granted, the fact the every game is on TV makes that a bit more challenging but generally I'm glad the games are televised, I'd hate to have to listen to most of the road games on the radio. And yes, it's unfortunate that some teams don't play each other every year like they used to but that doesn't really impact TCU much.

It's almost like you're frustrated with the built-in advantages other teams have over us (that aren't going away btw) and just want to vent about it.
So you are glad we don’t play the teams we beat before because no one showed up and you don’t want to play the ones that packed the stadium because they beat us all the time

well since we were terrible- that was life then

and the current system has not helped TCU achieve the end goal - it has actually taken it away our chance twice when we it could be argued we deserved it and based on what success we (and others had) during our rise back to the “top” level - they changed the rules so that won’t ever happen again

and that change has restored order to where only a few teams stand a chance

anyone that is truly honest will admit we are basically in the same position we were in during our MWC days in regard to getting to the championship game - but the path
The FCS games stink and need to go away IMO. They are played because the coach likes a gimme win. Period.

But literally every person who follows college football knows that if Baylor had beaten OU in the CCG they would have made the playoff. That's with a loss AND a terrible OOC schedule (and even a couple controversial wins on top of that). Hell, even defeatist Baylor fans would concede that they were a overtime win away from making it. And yet since they lost you can now conveniently say they would have never made it so you can keep the myth alive that the "system is rigged".

It's really, really hard for a non blue-blood to make the playoff because generally they don't recruit as well or have as deep and as talented of rosters. It's even harder for them to go undefeated for the same reason. I get that. But it's entirely possible for both things to happen, it just doesn't happen near enough to satisfy people. But nobody has "rigged the system" to keep anyone out.
Man you are dense

yes - it’s possible- but it never happens

that is why the system is ruining football

we change how we schedule and who we play because there is a chance

but it never happens - so why do we continue to waste half the regular season playing teams our fan base doesn’t give a crap about?

That is the point

Ron Swanson

Speaking of Baylor, after what happened this year, I’m all in favor of playing nobody in OOC. It simply doesn’t really matter
It only matters if we are up against another team for the fourth spot in the college football playoff and that other team has the same record and conference championship situation as us. It’s a tie-breaker, that’s it.

Eight

Speaking of Baylor, after what happened this year, I’m all in favor of playing nobody in OOC. It simply doesn’t really matter

when it comes to basketball the frogs basically did that for much of their ooc when you compare it to baylor in basketball

bears lost to washington by 3, beat villanova, beat arizona, and beat butler.

Limp Lizard

So why not just cut basketball down to 4? Then it would be Duke vs Kansas or North Carolina every year. Maybe Kentucky. Instead, 13 teams have been in the championship games the last 10 years. At least give other teams a chance. In 2014 TCU was good enough, and maybe even (gag!) Baylor. The 4 team playoff guarantees only "name" teams every year. Self-fulfilling phophesy, IMO.

Wexahu

So you are glad we don’t play the teams we beat before because no one showed up and you don’t want to play the ones that packed the stadium because they beat us all the time

well since we were terrible- that was life then

and the current system has not helped TCU achieve the end goal - it has actually taken it away our chance twice when we it could be argued we deserved it and based on what success we (and others had) during our rise back to the “top” level - they changed the rules so that won’t ever happen again

and that change has restored order to where only a few teams stand a chance

anyone that is truly honest will admit we are basically in the same position we were in during our MWC days in regard to getting to the championship game - but the path

Man you are dense

yes - it’s possible- but it never happens

that is why the system is ruining football

we change how we schedule and who we play because there is a chance

but it never happens - so why do we continue to waste half the regular season playing teams our fan base doesn’t give a crap about?

That is the point

LOL on the "packed the stadium" line. Yeah, we remember things differently. I don't remember too many "packed" Carters during the glory years of the SWC unless we're maybe going back to the 40's and 50's when I wasn't alive.

And I think our fan base cares plenty about OU, OSU, SMU, Tech, UT and Baylor and the Kansas schools and Iowa State are fine and those "rivalries" are developing. You talk like the SWC broke up 5 years ago, it's been 30 years and when you move into a conference like the Big 12 you're going to cast a wider net as far as who your opponents are.

jake102

It only matters if we are up against another team for the fourth spot in the college football playoff and that other team has the same record and conference championship situation as us. It’s a tie-breaker, that’s it.

Yep. I’m willing to roll the dice

Until the committee stops using win/loss record as the first step in the ranking, OOC doesn’t really matter unless you have two teams with identical record from different conferences vying for the 4th spot

Wexahu

Yep. I’m willing to roll the dice

Until the committee stops using win/loss record as the first step in the ranking, OOC doesn’t really matter unless you have two teams with identical record from different conferences vying for the 4th spot

My feeling on this is that if you have a team that is remotely CFP caliber, then playing a little better OOC isn't going to hurt at all. I'm not saying play home and homes with Ohio State or USC or Auburn every year, I'm saying ditch the FCS game for starters. Those games suck for everyone. The idea is you've got 6 or maybe 7 home games, don't waste one on a crap FCS team.