• The KillerFrogs

KSL.com: Minus the 2 defectors, BYU has biggest national brand in Big 12 (eye roll)

Eight

The only two better options for any of us would be Big Ditka or Big Back of the Bus. Neither of those are beating the door down for any of us so yes, I think we’re rowing in the same direction.

NF

agree that there don't appear to be better options, but i also believe there are schools in this conference who see themselves as more attractive market commodities than they see their current and future conference brethren

they will not be truly committed until they have been shown there are no better options

time to burn the boats

NORMLFROG

agree that there don't appear to be better options, but i also believe there are schools in this conference who see themselves as more attractive market commodities than they see their current and future conference brethren

they will not be truly committed until they have been shown there are no better options

time to burn the boats
Same thing could be said about us and how some of us view our attractiveness compared to our peers. Yet here we are. I’m being optimistic but I truly feel a sense of stability.

I’ll take my chances that our current conference leadership will do right by our membership

NF

PurpleBlood87

Dave Grohl Whatever GIF by Foo Fighters

Seriously, can we please trade those dorks for Utah? Pretty please?
I'd trade them for SMU.

Moose Stuff

By Patrick Kinahan for KSL.com | Posted - May 30, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.

PROVO — The reshaped Big 12 begins in one month, when the conference officially expands by four and continues the following year, at which time the two brand names leave.

Oklahoma and Texas have been the big dogs dating back to when much of the old Southwest Conference joined the Big 12 in 1996. None of the newbies — BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston — nor any of the eight holdovers can match the star power and recognition of the two programs that will join the Southeastern Conference in summer 2024....

scheiss BYU.

Paul in uhh

By Patrick Kinahan for KSL.com | Posted - May 30, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.

PROVO — The reshaped Big 12 begins in one month, when the conference officially expands by four and continues the following year, at which time the two brand names leave.

Oklahoma and Texas have been the big dogs dating back to when much of the old Southwest Conference joined the Big 12 in 1996. None of the newbies — BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston — nor any of the eight holdovers can match the star power and recognition of the two programs that will join the Southeastern Conference in summer 2024....

This wrongly assumes that every Mormon in the world is a BYU fan

frogetaboutit

No secret that every current and incoming member would happily take the call and accept a lifeline if one was thrown from the SEC or BIG today.

But stability-wise, the biggest thing from here forward is there’s no brand powerful enough left to initiate that call.

IMO, this is about as stable as this conference is ever going to be - with or without BYU - at least until the next major upheaval when a lucky few possibly get the call.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
I am already sick of these idiot Zoobs being in the same conference with us again. Threads like this are going to be commonplace. We need to get the Big 12 chancellors / Presidents together and boot BYU out.

As far as I am concerned BYU is THE (insert reproductive or solid waste evacuation body part) school.

McFroggin

BYU is the biggest national brand, not a very successful one, but the biggest.
BYU has done less with more; however, the stability & growth of the B12 might be just what they need.
A few years of power five level recruiting could make them a yearly conference contender.
BYU is already hated by many, a successful BYU would be hated by everyone. Probably good for the B12.

A few years of power five recruiting? What non-Mormon athlete with choices wants to go there?

A college experience without sex, caffeine, or alcohol? I’m sure athletes will be jumping to go there in a few years. Hahahahaha

CountryFrog

I embrace the BYU hate but they are a gain for the conference. The difference these days is that (I believe) we now are a conference full of members who are rowing the same way (as opposed to days past) and none of us will countenance any significant diva behavior. They can priss around in their wigs and fake Brilesboobs all they want but they won't dictate to the rest of us.

NF
I do agree that BYU is a positive addition and the best of the four newbies from a "brand" perspective.

I don't think there's anyone who isn't a Mormon that thinks BYU will be the best brand in the Big 12 after OU and Texas leave. They have a unique and large following of people who probably wouldn't otherwise give two [ Finebaum ]s about college football but among actual college sports fans nationally they are about as big of a brand as Iowa St or Kansas St. Which is certainly good but not top of the conference.

If they were that big of a brand then they would've already been in a P5 conference long ago.

kodiak

So, CFP, March Madness, Beach Volleyball, Rifle, Baseball and Tennis. I am sure there are more. Our conference has Huge state schools and their resources. Bring it! Been there, done that, and won.

Last edited:

Froglaw

A few years of power five recruiting? What non-Mormon athlete with choices wants to go there?

A college experience without sex, caffeine, or alcohol? I’m sure athletes will be jumping to go there in a few years. Hahahahaha

More like an early marriage, diapers, and a mini-van.

HG73

byu could bully Wyoming and Colorado State et al. They can't bully any of the Big12 teams.

Now if the Big12 takes more than 4 western teams then byu will try and make those western teams into their own conference. That's just who they are.