• The KillerFrogs

KSL.com: Minus the 2 defectors, BYU has biggest national brand in Big 12 (eye roll)

JAB331

By Patrick Kinahan for KSL.com | Posted - May 30, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.

PROVO — The reshaped Big 12 begins in one month, when the conference officially expands by four and continues the following year, at which time the two brand names leave.

Oklahoma and Texas have been the big dogs dating back to when much of the old Southwest Conference joined the Big 12 in 1996. None of the newbies — BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida and Houston — nor any of the eight holdovers can match the star power and recognition of the two programs that will join the Southeastern Conference in summer 2024....

JAB331

The echo chamber continues in Provo. Apparently BYU > TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Ok St, Kansas, Kansas St, etc...

JAB331

We should let them remain independent, but I fear that wouldn't be very fair to Oregon and Washington as they court the B10, because then they'll have to compete with BYU..!

Btw, getting to the National Championship Game was estimated to be worth $2B in marketing for TCU's brand - just a lit fact for those in Provo to add to their "math"

dawg

Dave Grohl Whatever GIF by Foo Fighters

Seriously, can we please trade those dorks for Utah? Pretty please?

Limey Frog

According to market research conducted with a random sample of one thousand people who all said that a) they had watched the 1984 Holiday Bowl, and b) were happy with the outcome, 100% of respondents rated BYU "a major national program in football".

82 Frog Fever

BYU is the biggest national brand, not a very successful one, but the biggest.
BYU has done less with more; however, the stability & growth of the B12 might be just what they need.
A few years of power five level recruiting could make them a yearly conference contender.
BYU is already hated by many, a successful BYU would be hated by everyone. Probably good for the B12.

NORMLFROG

I embrace the BYU hate but they are a gain for the conference. The difference these days is that (I believe) we now are a conference full of members who are rowing the same way (as opposed to days past) and none of us will countenance any significant diva behavior. They can priss around in their wigs and fake Brilesboobs all they want but they won't dictate to the rest of us.

NF

Eight

I embrace the BYU hate but they are a gain for the conference. The difference these days is that (I believe) we now are a conference full of members who are rowing the same way (as opposed to days past) and none of us will countenance any significant diva behavior. They can priss around in their wigs and fake Brilesboobs all they want but they won't dictate to the rest of us.

NF

you really think we are all headed in the same direction?

don't think they or ku or tech or whomever won't bolt if they think they have found a better option

Cougar/Frog

you really think we are all headed in the same direction?

don't think they or ku or tech or whomever won't bolt if they think they have found a better option
No one wants Tech. KU has some appeal, but is too small a football brand for the B1G or SEC. The nB12 is a competetive conference of peer schools that the SEC/B1G don't want. They are all in this together.

Eight

No one wants Tech. KU has some appeal, but is too small a football brand for the B1G or SEC. The nB12 is a competetive conference of peer schools that the SEC/B1G don't want. They are all in this together.

nope, just as byu isn't in this together

until the next change shakes out and we get a reformation of college sports trust no one, especially the networks

WhatTheFrog

BYU is the biggest national brand, not a very successful one, but the biggest.
BYU has done less with more; however, the stability & growth of the B12 might be just what they need.
A few years of power five level recruiting could make them a yearly conference contender.
BYU is already hated by many, a successful BYU would be hated by everyone. Probably good for the B12.
I agree, they are THE Mormon school, like ND is THE Catholic school. Being a national brand does not equate to being any good, though. Not at this point, anyway. We'll see what happens after they have had some years of P5 recruiting.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
...like ND is THE Catholic school.
I remember the tale of the semi-deranged Al Conover's Rice playing ND in Houston. "We had the whole Houston-Galveston Arch-Diocese Priesthood over on our sideline. The ND guys didn't know which side of the field to run off to."