• The KillerFrogs

Important Article re: Conference Revenues & TV Money

Seems I missed something. When were these stations and deals announced? Is the conference not exploring options with streaming services or twitter for more B12 content? Right now on YTTV the B10, ACC, and SEC all have channels playing their content. I've been yearning for sports from this area, but ain't no love in the heart of the city.

Big 12 is locked into ESPN+, ESPN, Fox, FS1/2 until 2025. I think it is highly unlikely they do a deal in the future with any streaming platform not named ESPN+, but you never know.

I wonder how Apple and Amazon’s foray into streaming live sports could impact future deals? Amazon will broadcast some English Premier League games and presumably Apple is trying to get some NFL games.

Big 12 looked at the market, and the only $$ that was on the table came from ESPN+. Could that change by 2025? Possibly. But, if I had to guess, the Big 12 will lock up the conference with ESPN and ESPN+ as it is now, with Fox continuing to go more the route of pro sports + Big 10.

MAcFroggy

Big 12 looked at the market, and the only $$ that was on the table came from ESPN+. Could that change by 2025? Possibly. But, if I had to guess, the Big 12 will lock up the conference with ESPN and ESPN+ as it is now, with Fox continuing to go more the route of pro sports + Big 10.

So you anticipate the Big 12 going entirely with Disney?

For tier 3.
So you anticipate the Big 12 going entirely with Disney?

No my own anticipation, today, is that the Big 12's most likely media partner going forward is ESPN only. Fox doesn't appear to be pursuing a strategy long term that ties back to College rights outside the Big 10. They are spending big on pro sports and will continue to do so, and the $$ for sports rights isn't infinite.

ESPN is already DEEP with the Big 12, ACC, and SEC... They tried to get in with the PAC and that effort ended badly, and shortly after they got deeper with the Big 12 and I think that foreshadows the next negotiation.

And, I can say that the Big 12 overall (sans OU) is happy with ESPN as a media partner and think that being involved with them going forward will be a net-benefit vs. going the route of an alternative tech partner. ESPN owns a LOT of oxygen in college football, and they aren't letting go of it anytime soon.

To be clear, I'm talking about 2025+, we are locked into the networks I noted earlier through 2024.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
ESPN is already DEEP with the Big 12, ACC, and SEC... They tried to get in with the PAC and that effort ended badly, and shortly after they got deeper with the Big 12 and I think that foreshadows the next negotiation.
So, the PAC was left standing when the music stopped? They have somebody who picks up their Tier 1 games, but the payouts lag far behind all other Conferences.

Will they stay together as a group until the next round? Or will they split up and join the BIGXII?

So, the PAC was left standing when the music stopped? They have somebody who picks up their Tier 1 games, but the payouts lag far behind all other Conferences.

Will they stay together as a group until the next round? Or will they split up and join the BIGXII?

This is the billion dollar question... I don't think they will be left out, between Amazon, Apple, DAZN, and NBC they will have bidders and could end up with a great deal $$ wise. However, in terms of exposure and influence, they could face the same problem they have today... They REALLY should have taken the ESPN deal to have them "buy" the Pac 12 Network and get into ESPN's eco system, which would have pushed out the Big 12 potentially. Now they face a less certain future.

BrewingFrog

This is the billion dollar question... I don't think they will be left out, between Amazon, Apple, DAZN, and NBC they will have bidders and could end up with a great deal $$ wise. However, in terms of exposure and influence, they could face the same problem they have today... They REALLY should have taken the ESPN deal to have them "buy" the Pac 12 Network and get into ESPN's eco system, which would have pushed out the Big 12 potentially. Now they face a less certain future.
They tried to market their product digitally and it failed. Badly. I would imagine that TPTB are not going to go an experimental route a second time, and would much favor a tried-and-true outfit. There's only one of those in town, though, and getting top dollar won't be easy.

Amazon is hardly a pauper, and could make a very good offer if they felt they could get the rights. I just don't know if the PAC wants to do without the cachet of ESPN, and would be willing to go again in a direction away from the rest of the herd.

They tried to market their product digitally and it failed. Badly. I would imagine that TPTB are not going to go an experimental route a second time, and would much favor a tried-and-true outfit. There's only one of those in town, though, and getting top dollar won't be easy.

Amazon is hardly a pauper, and could make a very good offer if they felt they could get the rights. I just don't know if the PAC wants to do without the cachet of ESPN, and would be willing to go again in a direction away from the rest of the herd.

If Apple or DAZN offers them SEC money to move everything to a "custom" digital network, with a promise to license a few key games a year to ESPN/Fox/whoever, they will literally sign that deal faster than you can say Scrooge McDuck. Not saying it is super duper likely, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.

BrewingFrog

If Apple or DAZN offers them SEC money to move everything to a "custom" digital network, with a promise to license a few key games a year to ESPN/Fox/whoever, they will literally sign that deal faster than you can say Scrooge McDuck. Not saying it is super duper likely, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.
I would love to see that. It'll take some money-whipping, but it could happen.

Latest posts