• The KillerFrogs

Important Article re: Conference Revenues & TV Money

Eight

Big12 gunna make the Zona schools an offer they can't refuse.

you forgot we need images we can understand and find funny

maxresdefault.jpg

LeagueCityFrog

And don't forget this number floated doesn't count Longhorn Network money for UT and the new ESPN Sports Oklahoma and ESPN Sports Southwest for OU's and TCU's tier 3 money for one football game a year broadcast, some men's basketball, and TCU and OU baseball broadcasts.

I bet the two Arizona schools sniff around the Big XII this round. It would make sense and CDC came from Arizona before Rice.

Last edited:

Froggish

I don’t see WVU wanting to expand west. If they wanted to hook up with the ACC and we go west for 3 schools out of the PAC everyone would be happy and all of CFB would have more stability. 12 is the perfect size for the B12.

Brog

I don’t see WVU wanting to expand west. If they wanted to hook up with the ACC and we go west for 3 schools out of the PAC everyone would be happy and all of CFB would have more stability. 12 is the perfect size for the B12.

They sure wanted to expand west not too long ago. And they did.

Froggish

They sure wanted to expand west not too long ago. And they did.
Couple things...They are making really good money the way things are now and expanding further west adds a 3rd time zone that would make all sports even more expensive for them. I don’t think they would be wild about it.

Hell Sent Frog

Why would the Big 12 want two schools from the same sparsely populated state like Arizona?
Colorado and Utah make the most sense,
at least they give you two teams from two different states and tv markets, and they also have less long time loyalties to the PAC-12.

Froggish

Yeah, I do not see a merge of ACC and SEC. The SEC is not going to dilute their cut. The ACC would financially benefit with the SEC getting less money. Already dead deal.

Agree....The SEC is making more money than any other conference and it’s football crazy location and consequential success means they really have absolutely zero reason to do anything but count there stacks.

I could see a desolving of the P5 all together into a P3 containing roughly 42 “top tier” teams and a second tier being formed below with those that are left and some G5 schools.

Big Frog II

Why would the Big 12 want two schools from the same sparsely populated state like Arizona?
at least they give you two teams from two different states and tv markets, and they also have less long time loyalties to the PAC-12.
The 2020 Census will show that Arizona will have over 7.2 million people. That is more than Kansas and Oklahoma combined.

Mean Purple

Couple things...They are making really good money the way things are now and expanding further west adds a 3rd time zone that would make all sports even more expensive for them. I don’t think they would be wild about it.
One thing I think worries some is that a few years ago the PAC 12 felt good about where they sat. Now look at all the consternation over there.

With just 10 teams, we have less room for dropoff than they do.

Virginia Frog

The Arizona schools have a weird time zone situation - they observe only Standard time all year long. Mid- Mar-to early-Nov they are effectively Pac Time Zone teams being 2 hrs behind most B12-ers, save WVU at 3 hrs.

Early football season games - likely any of the first six games conference games in AZ (late Sep to 1st Sat in Nov), and baseball during the conference game schedule would be bad on the traveling squad (potentially late night returns to campus since these two schools tend to have nighttime home fb games.)

in fb, to mitigate travel for the other B12 schools), by having 12 B12 teams we could have an SEC-esque 8 game conference sched which would require one less week of Sep in AZ for B12 teams. We could also require the AZ schools to play each-other first for their respective B12 matchup each year further limiting conference teams of the 2-hour exposure by another week each fb season. The B12 "Arizona season" for them would fall from Oct 1 to Thanksgiving weekend (7 weeks, of which only 4 are dates that would be in the virtual Pac Time Zone.)

The rest of the year late football season (last-3 conference games) and all basketball season they are "closer" to us by one hour which would be okay.

The CU/Utah teams as Mountain Time Zone locales would be "closer" all year long.

Last edited:

Brog

The 2020 Census will show that Arizona will have over 7.2 million people. That is more than Kansas and Oklahoma combined.

Irrelevant but interesting and, to me, surprising statistic: Arizona has just over 7 million population and 114,000 square miles. Kansas and Oklahoma combined have 7 million population, and 152,000 square miles. Which would be the sparsely populated states/s?