• The KillerFrogs

I Guess No News On Cumbie's Interview This AM

XIIFrog

Guaranteed 3-year, $1MM/yr deal to be the sole OC and play caller at UT? I'll be very surprised if he doesn't take the bait.

Just hope we can hang on to Wooten and Shawn Robinson if he decides to leave.

cdsfrog

tcumaniac said:
I'll be surprised if Cumbie leaves. Doesn't hurt to interview. But from what all I've heard, Sonny loves it here. He and his family love Fort Worth and the community of friends they've established. I think Cumbie is smart enough to realize that he's next in line here at TCU with all the recruits he's worked to bring in.

You have to think Meacham is a HC after this coming year...give Sonny one more year under Meacham to fine tune everything before he takes full reigns in 2017.

Texas is a hot mess and has shown zero signs of getting things turned around. Have another bad year next season, and Strong is gone, and Sonny might be too.

Also. If you're a rising OC, think how exciting it must be to pair your offensive game planning with a Gary Patterson defense.

Depends. Meach may not find the right opportunity for several years.

TCUdirtbag

tcumaniac said:
I'll be surprised if Cumbie leaves. Doesn't hurt to interview. But from what all I've heard, Sonny loves it here. He and his family love Fort Worth and the community of friends they've established. I think Cumbie is smart enough to realize that he's next in line here at TCU with all the recruits he's worked to bring in.

You have to think Meacham is a HC after this coming year...give Sonny one more year under Meacham to fine tune everything before he takes full reigns in 2017.

Texas is a hot mess and has shown zero signs of getting things turned around. Have another bad year next season, and Strong is gone, and Sonny might be too.

Also. If you're a rising OC, think how exciting it must be to pair your offensive game planning with a Gary Patterson defense.
Cumbie is a career guy. He balances family very well, but he wants to move up. That's why he moved from Lubbock to Fort Worth. In coaching, any move is a risk. He has to decide if this one is worth it. A 3-year guarantee at $1 M / yr at one of the most high profile programs in the country is hard to turn down. If it doesn't go well, he's got $3M and can coach QBs anywhere. If it does go well, he's a head coach in 3 years.

I agree he has reasons to stay. But the argument to take the job is as strong or stronger than the reasons to stay.

Here's to hoping he stays.

TCUdirtbag

cdsfrog said:
Depends. Meach may not find the right opportunity for several years.
This. He seems attached to DFW. It may be 3-4 years before he moves on. I don't think Cumbie waits around that long.

Gunner

Save a spot, he will lookin' for another job after one season in Austin.

Strong wants him

So he won't have to face him

So, he can bring Wooten, maybe

So, he can find out info to beat TCU

So, he can get alums off his back

Gunner

One other thing, is one of the announcers of our games made a comment.  Said Cumbie saw a big future with Boykin after they had played them( when he was at Tech). Glad he saw it, nobody up here saw it 'til Meach and Cumbie arrived. 

So, that tells you the reason he is hesitating.   There "ain't" no QB's in Austin... :smile:

Dogfrog

Sonny, from that $3M you might take home $2M, spend $500K leaving you $1.5M in the bank. At age 34, your life expectancy is about 50 more years. $1.5M / 50 years is about $30K per year to retire on if it all goes bad. Don't let the shiny object distract your career. Otherwise good luck.

netty2424

QB's are kind of his specialty so I'm sure he's not too concerned there. They've got a promising kid in Buchelle coming in, possibly flipping Wooten or who knows who else, even Robinson in '17.

[ Finebaum ] for the sake of talking flips, what's Hills status? Could he flip and play immediately since he sat out this year?

EDIT: Initial response was to Gunners post. Didn't quote it for some reason.

Dogfrog

Also, I thought UT was interviewing Sonny for OC and that he would be choosing assistants. Why is the "run game coordinator" accompanying Strong on this interview? Sounds like they plan a run coordinator and pass game coordinator.

TCUdirtbag

netty2424 said:
QB's are kind of his specialty so I'm sure he's not too concerned there. They've got a promising kid in Buchelle coming in, possibly flipping Wooten or who knows who else, even Robinson in '17.

[Craig James] for the sake of talking flips, what's Hills status? Could he flip and play immediately since he sat out this year?

EDIT: Initial response was to Gunners post. Didn't quote it for some reason.

Wooten isn't flipping.  

And no, Kenny Hill can't just go to Austin.  He'd have to be released from his scholarship (which CGP won't release him from to UT) or quit TCU and walk on at UT and sit out a year, losing a year of eligibility. So that's not happening.  UT has a 2016 QB and a 2017 QB, but I do think you have to watch for Robinson (that's it though). 

netty2424

TCUdirtbag said:

Wooten isn't flipping.  

And no, Kenny Hill can't just go to Austin.  He'd have to be released from his scholarship (which CGP won't release him from to UT) or quit TCU and walk on at UT and sit out a year, losing a year of eligibility. So that's not happening.  UT has a 2016 QB and a 2017 QB, but I do think you have to watch for Robinson (that's it though). 
Is Hill on scholarship? I feel like I remember reading something like he had to make his own way this year to prove some things to GP. Am I making that up? Feel like I read that somewhere.

TCUdirtbag

netty2424 said:
Is Hill on scholarship? I feel like I remember reading something like he had to make his own way this year to prove some things to GP. Am I making that up? Feel like I read that somewhere.

I assumed he was on scholarship. No idea, though. 

Dogfrog said:
Also, I thought UT was interviewing Sonny for OC and that he would be choosing assistants. Why is the "run game coordinator" accompanying Strong on this interview? Sounds like they plan a run coordinator and pass game coordinator.

The "run game coordinator" is most likely going to be given a title of Assistant HC for next season. He's only currently the "run game coordinator" because our OC sucks. 

tcumaniac said:

Why can't he just take the guaranteed 3 mil from Texas, get fired when Strong is fired, and then go back to TCU? 

MinFrog

hookemhorns said:

The "run game coordinator" is most likely going to be given a title of Assistant HC for next season. He's only currently the "run game coordinator" because our OC sucks. 
So the run game guy will be asst HC? Will he have more authority than SC then? Sounds like a real stable program.

TCUdirtbag

Chip Brown reporting Strong will meet with another candidate. Some guy on orange bloods reporting Cumbie said yes. TCU 247 guys saying Cumbie has given no answer.

Dogfrog

hookemhorns said:

It is significant that this run game guy is interviewing Sonny. Who is in charge? My first question on that interview is, why is he here? As Texas demonstrated this season, play calling can easily be reassigned.

Moose Stuff

TCUdirtbag said:
Chip Brown reporting Strong will meet with another candidate. Some guy on orange bloods reporting Cumbie said yes. TCU 247 guys saying Cumbie has given no answer.
Solid reporting fellas. I can also confirm that some people have spoken to each other and things may or may not happen at some undetermined point in the future.

Latest posts