• The KillerFrogs

Here is a scary realization...

sous vide

I'm not sure what it would take to make some of our fan base happy. I reiterate, some of you people are going to regret not enjoying 2009-2010 when TCU is no longer ranked in the top 5 in the country ...

agreed...

Mea culpa and forgive me in advance, but I think Big Steaming Pile was on track describing the thoughts of some of today's posters with his comment: "TCU's problem, other than the whole non-AQ thing, is two-fold. It's not quality, but marketing. Just as Boise State has its shtick -- trick plays on the Smurf turf -- TCU's "thing" is boring. No team does dull any better than TCU. The Horned Frogs are PBS playing in a Snooki world."

The Frogs appear to very intentionally shorten the game as a whole and and, I think, just as intentionally to maximize the time the offense stays on the field NOT scoring. This bothers some people even when it is really quite successful.

I suspect next year may be a bit of a building year, as you allude.

Didn't anyone notice how we would throw to the flat and run the ball up the middle, not to get any yards, but on 3rd, we would throw a 15-20 yard pass? Thats how football is done, esp when you want to control the clock. You just can't run them over every play because you give the ball back to them quicker. Make our D tired. We have to look at it from both sides of the ball. We could hit the pass down field 9 out of 10 times.

dweller

NO

Why did we keep slamming our heads into an obvious wall.

Rushing
[font="verdana][size="2"]Team [/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]38 att [/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]108 ttl yds [/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="2"]avg 2.8

The box was loaded, why didn't we adjust?
[/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="3"]Looked like General Pickett was calling the plays.[/size][/font]
[font="verdana][size="3"] [/size][/font]

Good Grief..................after the Feista Bowl it was we didn't run enough............Guess what the run sets up the pass and vice versa...... all those running plays set up the big gains on play action because BYU's defense was selling out to stop the run. I swear if the offense doesn't score 55 points per game some people on this board feel the need to start the fire the OC threads. The strength of this team is if one phases isn't clicking another phases of the game picks it up. :eek:hmy:

sous vide

Didn't anyone notice how we would throw to the flat and run the ball up the middle, not to get any yards, but on 3rd, we would throw a 15-20 yard pass? Thats how football is done, esp when you want to control the clock. You just can't run them over every play because you give the ball back to them quicker. Make our D tired. We have to look at it from both sides of the ball. We could hit the pass down field 9 out of 10 times.

Agree re. Frogs. Certainly other teams--many of them quite successful--have a different offensive style and do try to get down the field much faster--more "explosively" if you will. Then the game turns into basketball which personally I find boring. I love watching great D and really don't care as much about offense.

StinnettFrog

Do the offensive experts posting on this board believe every team we play should have their OC fired or is it just possible our defense made their offense look bad. It is possible you know for the other team to actually play good and make TCU work hard for their points also.

I have faith in the abilities of those who are working 365 days a year at this job to know what they are doing and where they are going with it. You don't waste your play calling arsenal against a down BYU when you have much tougher opponents on the horizon. Air Force, Utah and San Diego State will all be very tough opponents and I have to believe execution will be the key more than play calling.

This team is playing great this year and hopefully they can continue this effort all the way to a BCS bowl.

GO FROGS

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Josh Boyce!

Pachall, Boyce, Wesley, Dean, Tucker, L Brock, D Smith, Dawson, etc.

The OL will be the biggest concern but 2s are getting experience.

sous vide

Interestingly, our punting is not listed in the NCAA stats. We don't do it enough to qualify.

Possibly this is as a result of being 3rd in total number of first downs (pass/rush/penalties)! Only Tulsa and Nevada have more. As well, we are well over a minute ahead of the next team in time of possession.

Actually though, we are 34th in number of punts (26), 115th in net yards (29.7), and 60th (3-way tie with SMU and Mich St) in average yards (41.2). Not stellar if anyone is looking for something to complain about.

Frogs97

So, for all of you calling out the "whiners", would you say it was a well played game? Even Patterson's post-game indicated they didn't play well. The play calling was atrocious, if you look a it from the perspective (that I was) that we needed to utterly humiliate these jokers. I can't help but think CGP and Co. knew we could beat BYU with a plain vanilla offense, shorten the game, and get out of it with no injuries or tape for the Utes. Probably the better game plan, but it wasn't a well played game. The energy was sucked out of the stadium with all the 3 and outs.

dweller

So, for all of you calling out the "whiners", would you say it was a well played game? Even Patterson's post-game indicated they didn't play well. The play calling was atrocious, if you look a it from the perspective (that I was) that we needed to utterly humiliate these jokers. I can't help but think CGP and Co. knew we could beat BYU with a plain vanilla offense, shorten the game, and get out of it with no injuries or tape for the Utes. Probably the better game plan, but it wasn't a well played game. The energy was sucked out of the stadium with all the 3 and outs.
Go back and read the posts again................The whiners are complaining about play calls, all the runs........the runs set up the passing game, why do you think the WR were getting one on one coverage and able to beat it. BYU was selling out to stop the run. They were daring Andy to beat them passing.............and he did. GOOD GRIEF! :eek:hmy:

Cougar/Frog

The play calling was sub-par. Kerley had a nice returned wasted by weak play-calling. We punted on the BYU side of the field several times. On the BYU side of the field!!!!!!

And we barely ran the option, or the zone read, or the inverted veer, something we have done successfully the years. Teams have stacked the box against TCU, but it has not mattered, at least until the Fiesta Bowl, we gave up on the run.

TCU is not a passing team by nature and our offense stalls when forced into repeated passing situations.

At the Fiesta Bowl, we usually screwed up with a passing play that failed, had a 2nd and 15 long, followed by a 3 and 8.

But last year playing Clemson (who also stacked the box and sold out against the run), Dalton killed them with the inverted veer. We did not give up on the run even though our RBs could not get anything done.

We should not be punting at the BYU 40 because of the bad play calling of our OCs.

MidlandFrog

Wow, everyone on here freaks out over beating a solid team by 28.They were absolutely selling out against the run. Their linebackers were running downhill and never more than 4 yards from the line. I am actually pumped, because Dalton showed that if you want to do that, Boyce and Kerley will smoke you. We just gave AIr Force 300 more things to think about. You can't just load the box against us. Also, considering our defense is playing lights out right now, you know that Patterson is just going to kill clock. You don't think that Fuentes and Anderson wanted to just keep throwing down the middle? They work for Patterson and it's his gameplan, he wants to shorten the game and prevent injuries (although O-line is starting to look like a MASH unit). That was vintage TCU football, great defense, time management, and opportunistic when the option presents itself. Big Steaming Pile is right, it is boring, but I'll take it because it is a winning formula. As for next year, I am loving what I am seeing out of our youngsters, remember this will be our highest rated team in terms of rivals stars ever next year. Guarantee we still win at least 10 games in a "rebuilding" year.

StinnettFrog

What exact plays at what exact times should have been called that you guarantee would have been successful? Complaining about something after the fact is what fans do but be realistic, nobody here knows if any other play call at any other time would have guaranteed a better result.

You have to believe that the OC's themselves will look at how the game transpired and make any adjustment they think are necessary for the next opponent in front of them.

As far as blowing out BYU because they are leaving, as much as I would have enjoyed it at times I doubt I would support a team so ardently that doesn't practice good sportsmanship as much as TCU does. I want a Championship or BCS opportunity for the Frogs as much as anyone else but I like the way the Frogs are approaching it.

This is a great team and what may be boring to some is exciting to me every game so I guess I am lucky.

GO FROGS

Frogs1983

Read what you wrote, sir. Now ask, what head coach wants their team to only score a field goal in the first quarter against a team that is only 2-4 for the season (BYU)? Or score 6 points in an entire half, against one of the worst teams in college football (CSU)?

If that is CGP plan, why did we score 3 touch downs in the first quarter of the Baylor game? Why is it against Wyoming we scored 4 touchdowns in the the first half?

Why do our OCs make such inconsistent calls? Why isn't a team, with so many seniors and so much experience starting half the games flat? The team should be fired up on both sides of the ball. I wear purple tinted glasses as much as the next guy, but I am complaining about a problem. I am happy with the wins and the defense and special teams, but our OCs are turrible!

I would be happy if we had a consistent offense. I don't care if we threw a 100 touchdowns today or 1 touchdown for the win. I care that we haven't showed great play calling for the talent we have. That we don't have a consistently great offensive game plan for every team. We may have beat OSU, CSU, BYU, and SMEW, but we didn't show the nation or our fans what the 4th ranked team or 7th ranked offense should do every game!

Terrible may be a little extreme I think.I also was confounded by the lack of adjustment during the game.Hopefully the O will bring their"
A" game the next few game as they'll definately need it against Air For ce and Utah.Hpefully the OC's will be able to make better adjustments when we play Utah or we could be in trouble.

oldscribe

Listen, I'm not unreasonable. I'm not being a fan with unreasonable expectations. However, when you watch an entire game, where the OCs call a game that should be completely different. I'm no expert or claiming to be one, but it doesn't take a football savant to say, "Give up the run up the gut, it's not working." We kept the same predictable plays the whole game... Yet on almost every play when we went deep, we scored. The end of the second quarter we scored twice in under a minute beating their players on every deep pass. Then the OCs don't make the adjustments at half time to do what works!

Frankly, the only game so far I have been happy with our OCs is the Baylor game. They seemed to have the talent prepared and the play calling stelar. They didn't call a play wrong in that game!

Tell me this, the zone read has worked every game extremely well. Why give it up today? Why do short side option twice this game? Why run up the gut almost every rushing play?
Has it occured to you that without some runs into the line those deep passes would not be there? BYU was selling out to stop the run, but would have adjusted if Frogs stopped trying to run.

macaroni

Has it occured to you that without some runs into the line those deep passes would not be there? BYU was selling out to stop the run, but would have adjusted if Frogs stopped trying to run.

A strategy, BTW, that we once used to beat an Adrian Peterson-led Oklahoma. The difference is that Andy rose to the challenge when the inexperienced OU QB did not. It wasn't a bad plan for an overmatched BYU, but succeeding at stopping our running game up the middle couldn't begin to compensate for their own lack of offensive production.